Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342
  • 1 Post By rckstein

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Feb 2016, 09:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry How to return starter? Warranty Hammer Test

So I know my starter is bad, It's a 'new' refurbished one from Mexico I bought last month.

It's been the bane of my life since I got it. Works, doesn't work, works, doesn't.

Last week I took it back in to Oreilys and they bench tested it, and said nooo it's fiiine.

But just today I almost got stranded. Luckily it worked after my friend was hitting the solenoid with a hammer.

THIS MEANS THE STARTER IS GOING OUT/BAD YES?

If it works sometimes though, then most likely when I take it in, it'll pass the stupid bench test.

I don't know what to do to get my warrantied new starter. I don't want to buy a new one.

-----------------------

(also side note) While putting my PT back together, I"m a knucklehead McGee and didn't attach the radiator hose on completely (cuz it's hard):

And I just drove it one mile, came back home. STEAM EVERYWHERE and COOLANT ALL OVER THE ENGINE.

Is this really bad? The coolant everywhere. Is it corrosive? It was even on the battery terminals and everything. ):
Old 21 Feb 2016, 10:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How to return starter? Warranty Hammer Test

Rinse off the engine compartment with a water hose. Not corrosive but will attract lost of dust as it is kinda sticky as it dries.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 22 Feb 2016, 08:02 am
Veteran Cruiser

Ask to see the store manager and explain to him what's going on with the starter. Most parts stores don't want to lose a loyal customer over a starter. I'm guessing that's where you buy all of your parts, right? Back when I was in management with both Autozone and Advance, if someone came in with a starter they had purchased and KNEW that was the problem, then I'd simply swap it for another one off the shelf. If they came back again, then I would tell them that the problem was elsewhere and offer them either the option of keeping the starter I just gave them or a refund. And then they could go try a starter from one of the other parts stores. Most managers are flexible on that type situation.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 08:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Being polite usually works for me. Manager or no manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342

Attachment 15185
i went to autozone and had them replace the alternator. it squeaked. squeak squeak squeak... i'm not havin' that. i told them i thought about spraying it with WD but it seemed like a pretty dumb idea.

in order to make it test bad so they could warranty it, they left it on the counter and ran the tester with nothing in it or attached.
Busted_PT likes this.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep.

Those tests they do in the store doesn't put the mechanical load on the starter that it experiences when on the car. Many bad starters will "free-wheel" just fine.

As already stated, be friendly but persistent. And do not take "no" for an answer. Eventually they will likely give in. And if they don't, ask for the phone number of the regional or area manager. Again, be friendly and ask with a confident smile on your face. Chances are they will cave in and give you another starter. That's actually what they are supposed to do anyway. It makes little sense to lose a customer over a suspected defective item that they can likely charge back to the supplier anyway.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 11:17 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob342 View Post
Being polite usually works for me. Manager or no manager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Yep.

Those tests they do in the store doesn't put the mechanical load on the starter that it experiences when on the car. Many bad starters will "free-wheel" just fine.

As already stated, be friendly but persistent. And do not take "no" for an answer. Eventually they will likely give in. And if they don't, ask for the phone number of the regional or area manager. Again, be friendly and ask with a confident smile on your face. Chances are they will cave in and give you another starter. That's actually what they are supposed to do anyway. It makes little sense to lose a customer over a suspected defective item that they can likely charge back to the supplier anyway.
Yep, it's all in how someone comes in and asks about their situation or problem. I deal with customer service issues all day long, and those customers that are sincere or polite about their issue, I'll help them all I can, even going out of my way to come up with a solution, because I find it challenging. I have some managers that I work for that sometimes have no idea what to do. If I can come up with a solution, but it may be over my authority to offer, I run it by one of those unsure managers and they usually agree with me that it's the best solution. As far as defective items, I'll exchange them all day long as we get credit from our vendors, no big deal.

It's those customers that come in from the start demanding that we do something for them because they spend thousands of dollars a year at my store, that I may be less likely to assist, but not to the point of being rude about it. If someone has a problem, they can start low and then escalate if they don't get any satisfaction, but if someone already comes in from the get-go demanding something, then they really don't have any room to escalate to.

In your case, as previously stated, just go back and politely ask for an exchange or refund and you can go try a starter from another source.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 22 Feb 2016 at 11:21 am.
Old 22 Feb 2016, 11:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This is the NEW WORLD ORDER....lol

Many of the new Test equipment for alternators/Generators and starters can measure the complete operating perimeters of a starter . So ya they can tell if a starter is bad or not on a *"bench tester"!

Besides one of the few questions on an ASE test is how to bench test a starter to determine if it is bad or failing using a Digital volt/ohm meter.

* there are several companies that have a complete line of diagnostic testing equipment with computer programs to analyze all operations of a starter.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 22 Feb 2016 at 12:08 pm.
Closed Thread

Tags
coolant, starter