• 1 Post By JoeX
  • 2 Post By BoostedPTBruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2016, 03:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Ignition cylinder replacement

Hi all, I'm very new here

But I think I will be around a lot.

My situation as it stands I purchased a non runner off ebay hoping to get it up and running in time for summer when I can afford the insurance.

My desire to just have one on the drive took over my common sense and now I feel very out of my depth.

I've got a 02 touring 2.2 crd in black 160k but was that cheap I didn't check or over looked things I shouldn't.

I purchased it knowing about a possible starter motor/immobiliser faulty however now it's on my drive it doesn't have an ignition cylinder on, it appears to be a hole in steering column with a screwdriver style blade with a small circular top(I'll post pics later on)

Now seller swore it started like this previously.

Anyway I'd like to put in a proper ignition and key and honestly don't know where to start.with various info floating about re programme of keys(I have one brown/grey door key with a separate key fob for locking)

I've been told alsorts from full ecu /immobiliser /driving column replacement to just getting a barrel /key and skim unit

I would really appreciate some knowledge from those who know.
Thank you if you actually read this far
Old 01 Mar 2016, 04:19 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Ignition cylinder replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whathaveistarted View Post
Hi all, I'm very new here

But I think I will be around a lot.

My situation as it stands I purchased a non runner off ebay hoping to get it up and running in time for summer when I can afford the insurance.

My desire to just have one on the drive took over my common sense and now I feel very out of my depth.

I've got a 02 touring 2.2 crd in black 160k but was that cheap I didn't check or over looked things I shouldn't.

I purchased it knowing about a possible starter motor/immobiliser faulty however now it's on my drive it doesn't have an ignition cylinder on, it appears to be a hole in steering column with a screwdriver style blade with a small circular top(I'll post pics later on)

Now seller swore it started like this previously.

Anyway I'd like to put in a proper ignition and key and honestly don't know where to start.with various info floating about re programme of keys(I have one brown/grey door key with a separate key fob for locking)

I've been told alsorts from full ecu /immobiliser /driving column replacement to just getting a barrel /key and skim unit

I would really appreciate some knowledge from those who know.
Thank you if you actually read this far
This is going to hurt:
Note: if it has a skim module you cannot start it without the programmed SKIM key.
If you can find a 02 car matching yours , at the recycle yard you could possibly get the VIN (for reprogramming ) , computer, key and Key cylinder and SKIM and I believe it should start but would register with the wrong VIN.
Dealer could change the VIN $$$$ if it runs.

take the cover off the steering column check to make sure you have a SKIM module which is a plastic circle around the ignition key entry attached to a small black box attached to the steering column.
If your car has a skim module you must use the key with a large grey end with the chip inside.
Dealer can get you a cylinder with keys from your VIN but it will need programmed at the dealer, here in the states cost is probably $200+ and hope there is nothing else from keeping it from starting.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 01 Mar 2016 at 04:30 am.
Old 01 Mar 2016, 11:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for taking time to reply.i do still have the original key so it should match the skim, could I not just replace the barrel with another one with a key. And leave the key with the correct part on a key ring so it's close enough to ignition to start?

Or even as above but take the blade of the key that fits a new barrel and somehow insert it into the one with the correct info for the skim,.

Are the skim and the ecu two separate or do they work together.
Could I not get a barrel, skim and keys from a scrap one or does the ecu need changing with them. The guy I purchased it off swears it ran with just this metal rod thing.
To be honest if it cost 200 dollars (I think that's about 120 quid) to get this sorted that's not too bad at all considering what I paid for the car.
Old 01 Mar 2016, 05:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

ECM is one of the required parts to work with the SKIM and chipped key.

Will it start with the key near the skim and turning the ignition with a ? screwdriver
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 01 Mar 2016, 06:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you have the original key, you can get a cylinder from an auto parts place like Rock Auto for not a lot of money. If you had the old cylinder, it would be a 10 minute job to re-key the new one to match. Since you have no cylinder, you will have to look at the notches in the key and re-key the new cylinder to match. This may take 15 or 20 minutes. They cylinder is super easy to install as well.
The instructions I got with my Dorman brand cylinder pointed me to a video on the internet and it was very easy.
Old 02 Mar 2016, 09:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
If you have the original key, you can get a cylinder from an auto parts place like Rock Auto for not a lot of money. If you had the old cylinder, it would be a 10 minute job to re-key the new one to match. Since you have no cylinder, you will have to look at the notches in the key and re-key the new cylinder to match. This may take 15 or 20 minutes. They cylinder is super easy to install as well.
The instructions I got with my Dorman brand cylinder pointed me to a video on the internet and it was very easy.

This.

If you just need a lock cylinder, you can either get them from a dealer (we sell them with no tumblers so you can code them to the existing key or we can do it for you.... I can code those things with my eyes closed now) or a jobber or locksmith will have one.

If you don't have to mess with the skim module, even better. That'll save you a lot of time and $$$.
Old 02 Mar 2016, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks guys,i am thinking i do have the skim,as when i start it with the thing in it with the original key away from steering column it fires up and cuts out,but if original key is left near ignition its fine.

can i really code a cylinder to the key i have? i was under the impression you needed to take tumblers from the previous and get some sort of code to do on new one.is it just the 4th item down id need?PT Cruiser Maintenance for electrical parts, sensors, switches, spares and replacement fuel pumps would i need one above too?

seems like a whole new world from the car ive switched from,

possibly wrong place to ask,but is there anyway i can increase the idle rpm,it shakes like mad idling right now.gonna clean throttle body and check plugs and leads tommorow.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1456817183742.jpg (96.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Whathaveistarted; 02 Mar 2016 at 05:22 pm.
Old 03 Mar 2016, 09:34 am
Regular Cruiser

you can recode a new lock cylinder from the existing key you have. A dealer or a locksmith can do it with new tumblers. Crap, I can do it, but I'm really slow at recoding a lock cylinder from the key itself.

but yeah, it's easily done
Old 03 Mar 2016, 02:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

oh, well guess im just really green then lol

ive watched the video on how to re code new barrel from old one,but i cannot seem to find any guide on how to re code a barrel from an existing key-that seems to be the best idea all round if i can do that.

couldnt bother you for some pointers could i please
Old 10 Mar 2016, 09:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Got my new ignition cylinder today and when I went to fit it, it appears I'm missing something, I'm not sure what it is so I'm hoping somebody could look at these pics and tell me what's missing (with cylinder in there's a good Inch gap with nothing connecting the cylinder to the actual ignition switch.

I've included some pictures of what was in place when I got it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0004.jpg (84.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0003.jpg (95.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0001.jpg (84.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0002.jpg (88.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0005.jpg (90.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0007.jpg (91.1 KB, 12 views)