PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 turbo coolant

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2016, 05:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default 2003 turbo coolant

I just bought my 2003 5speed turbo dream and just noticed the coolant reservoir is freaking empty, I can't even tell what kind of coolant my engine is running because it needs that special coolant and I don't want to add the wrong kind. The car was parked an hour ago is it safe yet to open the radiator coolant cap? Or would it still be under too much pressure? What type of coolant is that special coolant and Where can I buy it? HOAT coolant right? Would o reillys it Wal-Mart have it?

First I need to determine what type is in side already, what color it is.
Old 06 Mar 2016, 06:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 turbo coolant

O Riley Auto parts store has an universal coolant that is supposed to be compatible with the Chrysler hoat coolant that i believe is in it currently. The reservoir is empty so i can not determine the color of the coolant until i open the radiator cap but I'm waiting for the motor to chill off more. But from the looks of it the coolant reservoir appears a little reddish orange in ccolor from the residue.
Old 06 Mar 2016, 06:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Umm I opened my radiator cap and it looks like just clear water wtf? Is that bad? The residue around the edges are pinkish. What do i do until i can do a radiator flush, which can be up to 2 weeks from now when i get paid. Is a radiator flush something i can do myself in my driveway with minimal ratchet tools and wrenches and a car Jack? Can i just add water to my reservoir tank or compatible coolant from my local auto part store?

Last edited by cloudhidd3n; 06 Mar 2016 at 06:40 pm.
Old 06 Mar 2016, 07:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would first suggest you fill up the coolant reservoir to the proper level with water and see if you start loosing water after driving it.

If you are loosing water from the coolant reservoir there is no point in putting HOAT coolant in the coolant system until you find the leak. If you can't find any water leaking then its time to have an coolant compression check done.

How many miles on the PT Cruiser? Did the previous owner indicate that the engine has it been overheated?
Old 06 Mar 2016, 08:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

84k miles, i think i saw clear coolant but it must've been hoat cuz i just picked up g05 hoat coolant and it was pretty much clear too. There's no coolant leaks. Carfax indicated dealer services done around 50k and 70k.
Old 06 Mar 2016, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudhidd3n View Post
84k miles, i think i saw clear coolant but it must've been hoat cuz i just picked up g05 hoat coolant and it was pretty much clear too. There's no coolant leaks. Carfax indicated dealer services done around 50k and 70k.
So the previous owner purposely left no coolant in the coolant reservoir? There has to be a reason for no coolant in the coolant reservoir. I would suggest keep an eye on it.
Old 06 Mar 2016, 09:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudhidd3n View Post

Antifreeze Chart

Click pic for full size

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 07 Mar 2016, 08:30 am
Senior Cruiser

If in doubt, I would have just put distilled water in it and drained it a few times to flush it. Then gone with the G05. The only reason I would have avoided that would have been if you might see freezing temps. I ran mine on nothing but distilled water for a couple of months in the summer while I worked out some leaking/weeping issues and my temp was always perfect. Of course now I am running through a new batch. These radiators are lame.
Old 07 Mar 2016, 09:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I recommended to always fill the reservoir with water only during problem evaluations.

A pressure test on the cooling system is needed.
thecabinguy and LionPT like this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Mar 2016, 11:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I recommended to always fill the reservoir with water only during problem evaluations.

A pressure test on the cooling system is needed.
if your in an area that is in freezing temps right now I wiould use a unaversal coolant instead of water. Other wise water would be the way to go. You have a leak somewhere. Need to fix that before worrying about the kind of coolant. Listen to these guys and the will help you find the problems.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com