Advertisements
Need advice on repair cost

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pasadenahotrod03Dreamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Mar 2016, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Need advice on repair cost

I have a 2005 PT Touring Edition I'm currently having work done on. I'm waiting on an estimate and I want to make sure I'm getting a good price. I need a motor mount (whichever one is the one on top) and also my mounting bracket, the bolts are stripped so they're putting in bigger bolts to save me the cost of retapping. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 07 Mar 2016, 11:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Need advice on repair cost

Using bigger bolts means they have retapped the holes for the next size up from the stripped ones. The expense would have been from tapping and installing threaded inserts to retain the original size bolts.
rckstein likes this.
Old 07 Mar 2016, 11:26 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMack View Post
I have a 2005 PT Touring Edition I'm currently having work done on. I'm waiting on an estimate and I want to make sure I'm getting a good price. I need a motor mount (whichever one is the one on top) and also my mounting bracket, the bolts are stripped so they're putting in bigger bolts to save me the cost of retapping. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it.
Kind of sounds like they've already got it torn apart, may as well let them fix it, not much use for them to put it back together for you to just have to find another shop.
Old 07 Mar 2016, 11:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Right That's what I was implying. I'm going to let them do the work I was just trying to get advice on cost so that I can negotiate with them if the price they give me is high. It's a private owned shop so they'll work with me. I just have no idea about repair costs.
Old 07 Mar 2016, 11:56 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieMack View Post
Right That's what I was implying. I'm going to let them do the work I was just trying to get advice on cost so that I can negotiate with them if the price they give me is high. It's a private owned shop so they'll work with me. I just have no idea about repair costs.
I think at this point that they should have already given you an estimate. These days, to protect consumers, I think most repair shops are required by law to give you a written itemized repair estimate, that you must sign, before they proceed with any repairs. If this were not the case, then they could fix the vehicle and then charge you whatever they wanted to. Once the repairs have been done, it's a little too late to negotiate the price. If you don't pay the bill, the shop just puts a mechanics line on it, and you don't get it back until you have paid.