PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Like to know the value

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Mar 2016, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Like to know the value

My mom ordered new a early 2001. Serial number ends in 0047. The car is the color red with a grey interior and has 44k on it. Car has always been in a heated garage and is absolutely perfect except for a 1 inch tear in the front
bumper and tiny crease in front fender where the two meet. A very easy minor fix. No chips or scratches. Interior looks like the day she picked it up. No winters. Zero rust including underneath. Standard transmission. My question is being such a early car and in such fantastic condition does is have any collector value or is it still too early for that. I am selling it for her and would also like to know a approximate value. Car runs and drives like new and having a son in law with a 4 bay repair shop in the family has always paid off. Thanks for any help.
Old 08 Mar 2016, 04:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Like to know the value

Mileage is going to be a factor. A PT nearing 100K miles will be in need of a timing belt change which can range from somewhere near $1,000 to $1,500 depending your area. Also we need to know if it is a Limited, Touring or Base model. And does it have any automatic transmission?

Currently, a very early 2001 PT made in 2000 is not worth anymore than any other 2001 PT. While very cool to PT enthusiasts, it is likely meaningless to just about everyone else. The cosmetic damage will degrade the price. The price of the early PT's had just about bottomed out where I live and there's lots of them for sale everywhere. So body damage is going to push yours further down. Also where I live, there is very little difference in the price of any 1st Gen NA PT independent of the year model. A 2005 brings about the same as a 2001.

Things that might help sell your PT would be low mileage, cleanliness without much wear, cold AC, and extras like a sunroof and nice wheels and good tires. I believe the target buyers is someone looking for basic and practical transportation but that also wants a cool or "cute" looking car.

The best way to determine an asking price is likely going to be a your local Craigslist. Find out the asking price of other PT's similar to yours and adjust your price accordingly. And be sure to set the price where you can take several hundred less than you what you initially ask. It makes folks feel good and more likely to buy when they are getting something for less than advertised.
Old 08 Mar 2016, 05:04 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxjw View Post
My mom ordered new a early 2001. Serial number ends in 0047. The car is the color red with a grey interior and has 44k on it. Car has always been in a heated garage and is absolutely perfect except for a 1 inch tear in the front
bumper and tiny crease in front fender where the two meet. A very easy minor fix. No chips or scratches. Interior looks like the day she picked it up. No winters. Zero rust including underneath. Standard transmission. My question is being such a early car and in such fantastic condition does is have any collector value or is it still too early for that. I am selling it for her and would also like to know a approximate value. Car runs and drives like new and having a son in law with a 4 bay repair shop in the family has always paid off. Thanks for any help.
Even though it is a low mileage PT, and not due for the timing belt replacment by mileage, it is way over on time and should be or will need to be done in the not too distant future. Components degrade from little or no use and well as from too much use.

What I find interesting about this particular PT is the low serial number. When new vehicles are manufactured, is there actually a PT with serial number 000001 out there somewhere? When setting up a new vehicle manufacture, I imagine they have to run a few vehicles through the line first to test the assembly line to make sure all is built correctly. But do they actually start with 000001 or is the first vehicle that is meant to be sold to the general public a few numbers from the start, and the first few vehicles are "test" vehicles? Just something interesting to think about.
Old 08 Mar 2016, 05:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I don't get it. My PT came off the assemble line in September 2000. The last 6 digits on the VIN are the build sequence. Mine is 527688.

mxjw, can you tell me the last 6 digits of your mom's car please, not just the last 4. Is it something like 670047 ?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Mar 2016, 05:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Even though it is a low mileage PT, and not due for the timing belt replacment by mileage, it is way over on time and should be or will need to be done in the not too distant future. Components degrade from little or no use and well as from too much use.

What I find interesting about this particular PT is the low serial number. When new vehicles are manufactured, is there actually a PT with serial number 000001 out there somewhere? When setting up a new vehicle manufacture, I imagine they have to run a few vehicles through the line first to test the assembly line to make sure all is built correctly. But do they actually start with 000001 or is the first vehicle that is meant to be sold to the general public a few numbers from the start, and the first few vehicles are "test" vehicles? Just something interesting to think about.
not sure about a PT but the High dollar mustangs do have a 0001 they sell them on Barrett Jackson sometimes its a higher number but usally it has some special thing attached to it
Old 08 Mar 2016, 06:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
I don't get it. My PT came off the assemble line in September 2000. The last 6 digits on the VIN are the build sequence. Mine is 527688.

mxjw, can you tell me the last 6 digits of your mom's car please, not just the last 4. Is it something like 670047 ?
I have a suspicion that the last 6 digits of the serial number are randomly generated and not sequential in order of manufacture. I have to think that they were making a batch of Touring Edition PT's like mine, through the assembly line. Mine is not unique and was not special ordered. I just tried a VIN check website and working off of the serial number of my PT, I changed just the last digit to see if a vehicle exists with that serial number. I tried several before and after mine and each time received the error:

Warning: VIN has invalid check digit (9th character). Make sure it is spelled correctly! (check digit = 9, found = 0)

So I think for security reasons, the last 6 digits or what is known as the "sequence number" are randomly generated. You have to think, if someone knows a VIN and does exactly what I did, just change the last digit, then anyone could find out information on any other vehicle and personal owner information.

Vehicles made today are not like they used to. Even though the VIN number does appear in several other places on the vehicle, in earlier days they were actually stamped into the metal. Nowadays, they are just printed on stickers and hidden in several places. These could be printed on sheets and when a vehicle comes down the line, they are just grabbed out of a box and then assigned to that vehicle. Kind of like the dash plates on the Dream Cruisers, I have read somewhere else on this site that even though they are numbered, they were not made or assigned in sequential order, but just grabbed out of a box and stuck on the dash.
Old 08 Mar 2016, 06:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
..... do they actually start with 000001 or is the first vehicle ................
YES!
I owned a vehicle that that was production 001

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Mar 2016, 06:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
YES!
I owned a vehicle that that was production 001
What year was that vehicle? I think they may number them differently now than years ago.
Old 08 Mar 2016, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I have a suspicion that the last 6 digits of the serial number are randomly generated and not sequential in order of manufacture.
One way you might know this for sure is to compare the serial numbers a several Dream Cruisers against there badge numbers. If one has a higher VIN but lower badge number than another, then either the VIN's or badge numbers are not sequential. While many of the VIN's (last six numbers) may have been assigned to multiple types of cars in between any two Dream Cruiser badge numbers, the comparison of higher and lower should still hold true.

Here's a quote from a Charger forum on this:

Quote:
The vin has nothing to do with the order in witch the cars are built. I am sitting in a Chrysler car plant right now and I can tell you that when a car body is built it is given a tracking number. Then when it is sent to paint a new tracking number is given & when the painted body goes to be finished a 3rd number is given to the car. That is today, not 40 years ago. Again I agree that not every car came down the line in absolute sequence... ...again, the sequence number generally indicates build sequence...example 275000 would generally be built sometime after 274000...
If this is true, then it may be inferred that the last six digits of the VIN are "sort of" sequential. At least, they are for periods of time and/or batches.

PS: Where I work, the serial number is the last thing applied. It denotes lot number, batch number and even the date the serial was applied. But it's only sequential in the order the items went through the stencil machines. In reality, the items may have been made days apart and in no specific order.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Mar 2016 at 07:48 pm.
Old 08 Mar 2016, 08:57 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxjw View Post
My mom ordered new a early 2001. Serial number ends in 0047.....
On the drivers side door edge there should be a sticker, on that sticker is: DATE OF MFR, can you please provide that date as well as the last 6 digits of the VIN #?
Handy_Cruiser likes this.