PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dilemma - Should I get it fixed or just leave it.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Mar 2016, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dilemma - Should I get it fixed or just leave it.

I was having vibration issues at around 90 km/h. I figured it was just out of balance tires and/or bent wheels. Took it to my shop today to get all seasons put on and my mechanic told me that the vibration is most likely being caused by the lower control arms, saying both need to be replaced. I just went with the tire change and driving home I've noticed a big difference in vibration (not as bad). So my question is; should I get the control arms replaced or just leave it (he says that if I leave it too long it will wear out my tires prematurely). He quoted me for the job and it would be around $900 plus tax which includes both lower control arms, bushings, ball joints, links and an alignment. I am just kind of frustrated as I just bought the car and got it safety inspected by another mechanic about a month ago.

- 2007 Pt Cruiser
- 150,000 km

Last edited by ARHaddad; 10 Mar 2016 at 01:09 pm. Reason: adding information
Old 10 Mar 2016, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dilemma - Should I get it fixed or just leave it.

Get a second "free" opinion and quote from another shop. Maybe like Firestone?

Most likely the lower control arms are shot but you may have other suspension problems that the first mechanic may have missed.

You might take a moment and go fill out your info so we can ,next time see where you live and a little about to that will help with some recommendations and such?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Mar 2016, 01:20 pm
Banned

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Apr 2016 at 12:41 am. Reason: Removed because some other member wants to run the entire forum
Old 10 Mar 2016, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First, I would recommend getting a second opinion. Here on the internet we cannot see you car. So we have to go off what you say the mechanic said. Chances are, only one item needs to be replaced in order to solve the vibration issue. But your mechanic is offering to replace most of the front suspension higher wear items. This way, he will likely fix it no matter which is the real issue. As far as the cost estimate goes, I cannot say because you obviously live in a country where they use kilometers rather than miles.

At your mileage, the most likely problem is the control arms as stated. But these are usually associated with a bumping noise and not an overtly bad alignment. But it could be. Again, if I could not diagnose the issue myself, I would get an opinion and quote for another shop just to help make sure. And if money was tight, I would ask both your current mechanic and the second opinion guy what it would cost just to replace the items giving the trouble.

And welcome to the forum from the great sovereign state of Arkansas!

You should introduce yourself in the new members section and also report back what you find to solve your problem. The members here are very helpful and sometimes even fight over opportunities to help. But we also like feedback so we know if our effort bore fruit or not.
rckstein likes this.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 10 Mar 2016 at 01:24 pm.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
Welcome to the forum.

The problem isn't going to fix itself, it's not going to go away, and if not addressed, other damage could be caused costing more in repairs later. You might try shopping around and get estimates from other shops. Was your quote from a dealership or what type of shop? The cost may be reduced some if the shop just replaces the entire lower control arms with new ones as they will come complete and ready to install, possibly cutting down on some of the labor. When this work needed to be done on my PT, the dealership was close to your quote. But that's because they were working with the old arms and replacing the ball joints, lower control arm bushing and vertical bushing. It takes time to remove the old components from the old arms and then install the new components. Then you end up with old arms with new components, when you can get new arms with new components. I provided the shop with new MOOG arms. They removed the old arms and installed the new arms for about half the price of their original quote. I bought the arms off Amazon. But if you plan on keeping the vehicle for any length of time, it really needs to be addressed. Not to put salt in a wound but before you bought your PT, the condition of the bushings is something that could have easily been determined before the purchase, and perhaps you could have negotiated the repais for that off the purchase price.
I know, that's why I got it safety inspected before I bought but clearly that mechanic was incompetent as they couldn't even balance my tires properly when I got them to put snows on at the same time xD never going to his shop again.
Old 10 Mar 2016, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

for my American friends, 150k km is equivalent to 90k miles
Old 10 Mar 2016, 02:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Welcome to the forum.

The problem isn't going to fix itself, it's not going to go away, and if not addressed, other damage could be caused costing more in repairs later. You might try shopping around and get estimates from other shops. Was your quote from a dealership or what type of shop? The cost may be reduced some if the shop just replaces the entire lower control arms with new ones as they will come complete and ready to install, possibly cutting down on some of the labor. When this work needed to be done on my PT, the dealership was close to your quote. But that's because they were working with the old arms and replacing the ball joints, lower control arm bushing and vertical bushing. It takes time to remove the old components from the old arms and then install the new components. Then you end up with old arms with new components, when you can get new arms with new components. I provided the shop with new MOOG arms. They removed the old arms and installed the new arms for about half the price of their original quote. I bought the arms off Amazon. But if you plan on keeping the vehicle for any length of time, it really needs to be addressed. Not to put salt in a wound but before you bought your PT, the condition of the bushings is something that could have easily been determined before the purchase, and perhaps you could have negotiated the repais for that off the purchase price.
quote was from an independent mechanic
Old 10 Mar 2016, 02:44 pm
Banned

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Apr 2016 at 12:42 am. Reason: Removed because some other member wants to run the entire forum
Old 10 Mar 2016, 02:46 pm
Banned

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Apr 2016 at 12:42 am. Reason: Removed because some other member wants to run the entire forum
Old 10 Mar 2016, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
At that mileage, your PT is also due for the timing belt replacement. Do you know if that work may have already been done by the previous owner?
The guy I bought it from seemed pretty anal about maintenance so I'm sure it has been replace - the engine is really quiet and runs smoother than my previous car which was a kia rio 04. To be on the safe side, I'm gonna get it done at 200k km but rn I'm pretty broke so I don't see the point in Changing something doesn't need changing. If it works don't fix it. I realize that it's a common problem but so was my kia and but it purred like a kitten before I got side swiped.