PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sticky Horn.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2016, 04:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Sticky Horn.

Our 2009 PT has a sticky horn, which is quite problematic. It sticks about 90% of the times that it is depressed, and I have to keep pounding on it to get it to stop. Sometimes, that can take a good bit of time. What can be done to defeat this very annoying problem?

Nathan
(2009 PT/ non turbo/auto)
Old 12 Mar 2016, 07:11 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Sticky Horn.

Take the passenger side fender liner loose and unplug the connectors to the horns. Or try to find which fuse controls them and remove it. That would be easier.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 12 Mar 2016, 07:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
Our 2009 PT has a sticky horn, which is quite problematic. It sticks about 90% of the times that it is depressed, and I have to keep pounding on it to get it to stop. Sometimes, that can take a good bit of time. What can be done to defeat this very annoying problem?
Part # 52029417AB | eBay

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 13 Mar 2016, 12:53 pm
Cool Cruiser

This is a common problem with the 06 - 10 models. The center cover is too tight over the airbag mechanism. There was some sort of Service Bulletin issued by Chrysler associated with the problem. We have this problem with our 06 (not as bad as yours, apparently) in that to work the horn you must really bang the upper left corner of the center disc. Otherwise it won't work. We were supposed to take it in to the dealership to have it fixed, but we havent yet. Call Chrysler customer service; tell them that you have had this problem since day one, and what is the SB number, so you can take it to the dealer and have it fixed at no charge...
Black base 2006 NA, dented front bumper, scratched rear bumper. 2008 Touring, one of 385 red Turbos built in 2008. Limited grill, body-colored mirrors, grab handle deleted, dual-tone horn, shorty antenna.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 01:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs View Post
This is a common problem with the 06 - 10 models. The center cover is too tight over the airbag mechanism. There was some sort of Service Bulletin issued by Chrysler associated with the problem. We have this problem with our 06 (not as bad as yours, apparently) in that to work the horn you must really bang the upper left corner of the center disc. Otherwise it won't work. We were supposed to take it in to the dealership to have it fixed, but we havent yet. Call Chrysler customer service; tell them that you have had this problem since day one, and what is the SB number, so you can take it to the dealer and have it fixed at no charge...
The horn ring part has been replaced twice on my PT, once under the regular warranty, and again under my extended warranty. The problem reoccurs every once in a while. I'll have to check into the SB. I'll have to look at my receipts for the part number that they installed. Since mine has been replaced twice, it should be the current part they used.
dougs likes this.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 12:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Many thanks, to all who responded. Sorry that it took the time that it did, for me to reply back, but there had been a replay of internet problems.

I do, truly, appreciate the responses, and really hope that I can get this matter in hand, before much longer. I don't really want to disable the horn, altogether, as there can be times when a sounding horn is very much needed.

But, what is this 'SB' number, that has been mentioned in this thread?

Nathan
Old 14 Mar 2016, 04:31 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLAlston View Post
Many thanks, to all who responded. Sorry that it took the time that it did, for me to reply back, but there had been a replay of internet problems.

I do, truly, appreciate the responses, and really hope that I can get this matter in hand, before much longer. I don't really want to disable the horn, altogether, as there can be times when a sounding horn is very much needed.

But, what is this 'SB' number, that has been mentioned in this thread?
I found this:

COMMUNICATIONS:HORN ASSEMBLY
TSB: 1900106
NHTSA ID#: 10019524
Date Announced: 02/14/06
Summary: Horn Activation Effort

I can't find an actual copy of the TSB as everytime I find a link, of course it takes you to a website where they want you to purchase a subscription to TSB's.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 04:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

"SB"=Service bulletin. Official notices of known problems by the manufacturer. They actually admit that they have a problem.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 09:42 pm
Banned

The first time they fixed the horn issue on my PT, they installed:

MOPAR 68002385AA

The second time they installed:

MOPAR 52029416AB

Old 14 Apr 2016, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiant1966 View Post
"SB"=Service bulletin. Official notices of known problems by the manufacturer. They actually admit that they have a problem.
Hadn't been doing much driving at all, in the PT. I really don't like traveling about without a properly working horn. I DID get the chance to speak with someone at Chrysler, and inquired about any service bulletins, or recalls (if different) on this issue. After checking into it, the technician replied that there were no such bulletins - or anything else - ever having been brought about, regarding a sticking horn.

Yesterday, I happened across a fellow member's posting which referenced the same problem. I learned that the culprit could one of two things: either a sticking horn, or a faulty steering wheel. The former would be at a cost of about $200, with the steering wheel at a cost exceeding $1000. A sticky horn WAS fixed, but the repair didn't prove to be permanent. The OP had to look at taking his PT back to the shop, to make the same repair, AGAIN.

Wow.

Nathan