Advertisements
Clutch issue

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rob342

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Mar 2016, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Clutch issue

What's up everybody, I have a 2002 pt cruiser. Was running perfect 2 days ago, yesterday got up to go to work and the clutch pedal is loose, like when your brake pedal is when your out of brake fluid. Done a ton of research, already has the bushings replaced, never any slipping in the transmission. Clutch reservoir is full, I'm wondering if the cable is broken or its not getting fluid to allow pressure for the hydraulic's or something? Anybody with this problem that has some input would be awesome
Old 15 Mar 2016, 04:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Clutch issue

OK had the master and slave replaced, mechanic cant get it to bleed so the hydraulic's pressurize and disengage the clutch, any ideas fellas?
Old 15 Mar 2016, 05:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

there is no bleeder on a 2002 PT. there is no way to bleed it. all the info i've found says to replace the master and slave together as a $200+ pre-bled kit.

bleed clutch?

it is one of the stupidest, most poorly engineered parts of the car, and believe me there's plenty others. it is mostly responsible for why i junked my car.

there is NO bleeder on a 2002 and there is NO way to bleed it. IIRC the instruictions say to pump the pedal 50-100x... which more or less does jack. you can try lengthening the rod above the clutch pedal but beyond that IDK

there is a flat spot on the slave where you could drill and tap it to accept a bleeder if you feel like playing mad scientist. i was contemplating it, but factoring in other "fun" issues, i ultimately decided it was time to buy a faster and easier to work on vehicle.
Old 15 Mar 2016, 05:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

you can try the part i have highlighted in bold. really though i would do it perfectly and not expect much. it may not work but you'll know you tried and did it right.

2002 Chrysler Truck PT Cruiser L4-2.4L VIN B
Vehicle Transmission and Drivetrain Clutch Clutch Hydraulic System Service and Repair

Service and Repair

STANDARD PROCEDURE - BLEEDING CLUTCH HYDRAULIC CIRCUIT (LHD/RHD MODELS)

NOTE: It is necessary to bleed the clutch hydraulic release system if the system has lost an excessive amount of fluid and has ingressed air into the circuit. Air in the system typically results in a spongy pedal feel, and/or improper clutch release. If air cannot be removed from the system using this procedure, it is necessary to replace BOTH the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder assemblies.

From driver's seat, actuate clutch pedal 60-100 times. Verify clutch operation/pedal feel. If pedal still feels spongy, or clutch does not fully disengage, excessive air is still trapped within the system. Perform the following procedure:

Verify fluid level in clutch master cylinder reservoir. Top off with DOT 3 brake fluid as necessary.
Raise vehicle on hoist.
2.0/2.4L Models: Remove left lateral bending brace.

Remove clutch slave cylinder/damper assembly from the transaxle case (Fig. 3), but do not disconnect from the system. Allow the slave cylinder hang, making it the lowest part of the system.

CAUTION: While slave cylinder is detached from the transaxle, DO NOT actuate the clutch master cylinder. Damage to the slave cylinder will result.

Depress slave cylinder pushrod until it bottoms and then release. Repeat this at least ten (10) times, forcing trapped air upwards and out of the system.
Re-install slave cylinder into position. 1.6L equipped models: Torque slave cylinder to case bolt to 12 Nm (105 in. lbs.) . 2.0/2.4L equipped models: Torque slave cylinder to case bolt to 19 Nm (168 in. lbs.) . Install and torque damper (if equipped) to case nuts to 24 Nm (215 in. lbs.).
Lower vehicle.
Check and adjust clutch master cylinder fluid level. Actuate clutch pedal thirty (30) times. Verify clutch operation/pedal feel. If pedal still feels spongy, or clutch does not fully disengage, air is still trapped within the system. Repeat Step 4 - Step 8 until air is purged. If several attempts at purging air from the system are unsuccessful, replace both the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder assemblies.

Raise vehicle.
2.0/2.4L Models: Install left lateral bending brace.
Lower vehicle.
Top off clutch master cylinder fluid level with DOT 3 brake fluid as necessary.

2016 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions