PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Start-up Issues plus all lights flashing and loss of power while driving.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ptcruisersteve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2016, 12:19 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Start-up Issues plus all lights flashing and loss of power while driving.

Rarely (10% of time) my car doesn't start up easily. It turns but seems to be missing a spark. After a bit of cranking, it'll get going. This issue just started 2 months ago.

Second issue first happened a year ago but has only happened 4 times since.... While driving and going 70mph... all the lights turn on (gas, check engine,brake, everything,) and the gauges go down to zero. I lose the ability to press the gas and the car continues to coast. I slow down to around 55 and after 30 seconds... the issue goes away and hasn't repeated.

Battery is ~1 year old.
Camshaft position sensor replaced 2 years ago (non oem... the check engine code I had didn't appear after though)
Terminals ARE corroded... I'm thinking I should just replace the entire wiring harness. But have you heard of getting the "Big 3 wiring replaced"? Supposedly replacing these wires with a REALLY THICK GAUGE. I have a subwoofer, HID lights, and soon to be another amplifier +Speakers so would you recommend I replace the "Wiring harness" with a non OEM version? I heard the corroded terminals could be the cause of it all.

My personal guess would be to replace the ignition switch and the wiring harness plus clamps (since the HIDS plus subwoofer have been connected additionally to the positive end of the battery.... and not by the best professionals... I'm assuming the corrosion might be from that.

Any tips on how to install an ignition switch to a 2006 pt cruiser base edition?

Thank you for your time and consideration for any and all help!
Old 13 Mar 2016, 12:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Start-up Issues plus all lights flashing and loss of power while driving.

Oh I have a video of the car struggling to start... I'll just need a minute since I've never uploaded anything to youtube....

Sorry... it must have been on my old phone. I can't find the video anymore

Last edited by funkyfred; 13 Mar 2016 at 12:25 pm.
Old 15 Mar 2016, 05:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Start-up Issues plus all lights flashing and loss of power while driving.

Bump?

I'll be searching the forum again for tips on the ignition switch.
Old 15 Mar 2016, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfred View Post
Rarely (10% of time) my car doesn't start up easily. It turns but seems to be missing a spark. After a bit of cranking, it'll get going. This issue just started 2 months ago.

Second issue first happened a year ago but has only happened 4 times since.... While driving and going 70mph... all the lights turn on (gas, check engine,brake, everything,) and the gauges go down to zero. I lose the ability to press the gas and the car continues to coast. I slow down to around 55 and after 30 seconds... the issue goes away and hasn't repeated.

Battery is ~1 year old.
Camshaft position sensor replaced 2 years ago (non oem... the check engine code I had didn't appear after though)
Terminals ARE corroded... I'm thinking I should just replace the entire wiring harness. But have you heard of getting the "Big 3 wiring replaced"? Supposedly replacing these wires with a REALLY THICK GAUGE. I have a subwoofer, HID lights, and soon to be another amplifier +Speakers so would you recommend I replace the "Wiring harness" with a non OEM version? I heard the corroded terminals could be the cause of it all.

My personal guess would be to replace the ignition switch and the wiring harness plus clamps (since the HIDS plus subwoofer have been connected additionally to the positive end of the battery.... and not by the best professionals... I'm assuming the corrosion might be from that.

Any tips on how to install an ignition switch to a 2006 pt cruiser base edition?

Thank you for your time and consideration for any and all help!
The 2006 PT Cruiser in general has many electrical issues with it. The electrical system is sensitive to any voltage drops.

I recommend that you first clean the battery cables. After you have cleaned the battery cables have a battery load test done with the battery in the PT Cruiser.
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 15 Mar 2016 at 08:01 pm.