PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How long can 2.4 engines go before they wear out

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Mar 2016, 01:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Default How long can 2.4 engines go before they wear out

Hello Forums people, I cant find a thread stating the average mileage these 2.4L engines can go before needing to be replaced and or rebuilt..

The 01 I just got has 240k miles on it. Haven't got it running yet but I should be able to since the previous owner stated it died while driving on the freeway .. the question I'd like to know is whats the average life of these motors before needing to be replaced or rebuilt.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: 218K miles, a 1d10t code verified this after a fully charged batt was installed.

Last edited by IbeCruiser; 13 Mar 2016 at 11:30 pm.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How long can 2.4 engines go before they wear out

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeCruiser View Post
Hello Forums people, I cant find a thread stating the average mileage these 2.4L engines can go before needing to be replaced and or rebuilt..

The 01 I just got has 240k miles on it. Haven't got it running yet but I should be able to since the previous owner stated it died while driving on the freeway .. the question I'd like to know is whats the average life of these motors before needing to be replaced or rebuilt.

Thanks for reading.
I don't know. But have owned some with that kind of milage. Rob342 had over 300. Was still going until he got tanked and roped out the heater box and brok in half. lol.
rob342 likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 13 Mar 2016, 04:48 pm
Veteran Cruiser

LOL -and when i pulled the valve cover off i broke it into six pieces. (trying to be gentle, but to no avail)
Old 13 Mar 2016, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks for reading.
My bet would be timing belt broke....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Mar 2016, 10:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
My bet would be timing belt broke....
T-Belt Is turning fine.. Spark at Cylinder #4 appears weak, didnt check others due to compression test..!

The compression test was 5 PSI at cylinders 3-4, 1 was 50psi and 4 was 35psi.
Old 13 Mar 2016, 11:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:

Thanks for reading.
It all comes down to how the maintenance schedule was followed, the quality of the maint material, (oil or Mobil1 in this case). How often filter were changed, driving habits, ( Red light bandit or granny) I also believe severe climate changes (temperature swings or dirty environment) have some bearing on engine life.
To many variables to say how long they last. and it also depends on how much oil you want to add between changes because of leakage or the motor burning the oil.

I believe a nice round number for average engine life is 250,000 before considering replacement or rebuild. My 01 PT was going strong at 225,000 but started using oil.

Don't let me drive it, especially if it is a 4 speed, had a few back in 70's, beat the crap out them, I was scared that if I got anything with a std I'd want to slam the gears again, feeling young...
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh

Last edited by JoeX; 11 May 2016 at 03:08 pm.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 01:50 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
I believe a nice round number for average engine life is 250,000 before considering replacement or rebuild.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
I believe a nice round number for average engine life is 250,000 before considering replacement or rebuild.
I was pondering that number. And with the compression test results I got tonight.. it looks like head gasket is probably blown.

So the next question is the tranny.. if I have to rebuild that too, then the cost of this project may not be worth the effort.

I can get a decent 01-04 PT with 80k to 120k miles for $2500.00, I got this Cruiser for 300.00 but if I have to invest a couple grand to rebuild the drive train plus all the effort.. then I may have to scrap it and get my money out of it and just get another Pt.

I was thinking of maybe just grabbing the drive train from a pt at the scrap yard for $1000.00 as an option..!

Ill call for pricing tomorrow on both Engine & Tranny. If I can keep it at $1500.00 for both that would leave me 1k left for new tires & suspension, throw a pain job on it.

I dont know what do you guys think.

wingman55 likes this.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 10:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
I was pondering that number. And with the compression test results I got tonight.. it looks like head gasket is probably blown.

So the next question is the tranny.. if I have to rebuild that too, then the cost of this project may not be worth the effort.

I can get a decent 01-04 PT with 80k to 120k miles for $2500.00, I got this Cruiser for 300.00 but if I have to invest a couple grand to rebuild the drive train plus all the effort.. then I may have to scrap it and get my money out of it and just get another Pt.

I was thinking of maybe just grabbing the drive train from a pt at the scrap yard for $1000.00 as an option..!

Ill call for pricing tomorrow on both Engine & Tranny. If I can keep it at $1500.00 for both that would leave me 1k left for new tires & suspension, throw a pain job on it.

I dont know what do you guys think.

tranny went out in my 06 na and I clled the yeard and got a tranny with 85,000 on it out iof a stratus for $350 had a buddy put it in for another $250 was up and driving it in a week guess it depends on what yard you go to but $1000 for a pick and pull is high where I live
Gkon likes this.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 02:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

[QUOTE=I believe a nice round number for average engine life is 250,000 before considering replacement or rebuild.[/QUOTE]

This is making me feel a little better. Next month I'm going to embark on a 2800 trip from Prescott, Arizona to Portland, Oregon (and back), driving up through the middle of California. My '05 Touring has 93,000 on it. I was wondering if the engine could be trusted at this mileage. I have not had the timing belt changed yet, was going to do that around the 100,000 mile mark. Wish I could afford to have it done before I leave but I can't. At least what I've been reading it puts more of my concerns on the back burner.
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 14 Mar 2016, 02:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MY 06 had a little over 116000 when I had it done it has like 190000 on it now
I drive right at 1000 a week so for me anyway 2800 is just like 3 weeks of going to wk
and ii do that every week