PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Fog lights and the multifunction switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Mar 2016, 06:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fog lights and the multifunction switch

Hi,

I've just changed the multifunction switch on my Cruiser because the front fogs kept coming on. If you just tapped the end of the lever, they would come on. If you slammed the door a bit hard it would turn them on without you knowing and when you come back next day you have a dead battery.

I saw plenty of posts about this problem and there appears to be a number of potential problems that could be the cause of this. Rather than fix the stalk, I bought a new one from Rock Auto and with shipping from the US to the UK it cost be about $60 which wasn't bad at all. The walkthrough I found on here explaining how to change it was invaluable. I got the "that was too easy, I must have done it wrong" feeling but all was good.

BUT...

I have a quirk with it. Now, all the lights work as expected but now if you turn the lights on as normal, the rear fog light comes on if you're a bit enthusiastic with turning the switch. It isn't a massive problem because you can readjust the switch and it goes off, but the fog isn't supposed to come on until you pull the switch out and turn it further. Any ideas?

One thing I found when reading about changing the MFS was people just pulled the fuse which is listed as number 8. On my car, the only fuse that isn't in there is number 8 which is the front fogs. So how did the fog lights function without a fuse? Can the fuse be bypassed?

Cheers,
Old 14 Mar 2016, 06:18 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Fog lights and the multifunction switch

Are you sure you got the right MFS for a European model PT? I don't KNOW if there's any difference, but you you say rear fog, that's not something that I have on my PT. I only have front fog lights. Anyone else know?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 06:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

It's possible you might have ordered the wrong MFS for your car, double check what you bought & post a screenshot if your not sure.

Fuse #22
Dipped headlight indicator won't switch off 02 crd

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 14 Mar 2016, 07:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionPT View Post
It's possible you might have ordered the wrong MFS for your car, double check what you bought & post a screenshot if your not sure.

Fuse #22
Dipped headlight indicator won't switch off 02 crd
I did a lot of checking and found 3 different part numbers for the MFS. I could not find any information about what differences there were other than you buy one with fog lights and one without. Mine has the dual pull out on the end. You pull the first stage out and the front fogs come on and then you turn it forward and the rear fog light comes on. It works as I expected, except the rear fogs can come on without pulling the end of the lever outwards. This means that the electrical contacts are all in place but I can't see why I'm getting this issue unless of course, this is a faulty part which would be a pain.

The part number on the existing one is 04671872AD but when you search for replacement MFS the only part numbers I could find anywhere are (from Rockauto.com):

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 05016951AB, 05073049AA, 1S2121, 5016951AA, 5016951AB, 5073049AA, 5073049AB, 5073049AC, SW2287

It doesn't exactly help much if different companies call the same piece of equipment by a different part number but that seems to be the way things are.

I am going to strip the existing one down to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it. I'll give it a good clean and then put it back in and see what happens. If it's good, I'll stick with the original.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 08:14 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snert View Post
I did a lot of checking and found 3 different part numbers for the MFS. I could not find any information about what differences there were other than you buy one with fog lights and one without. Mine has the dual pull out on the end. You pull the first stage out and the front fogs come on and then you turn it forward and the rear fog light comes on. It works as I expected, except the rear fogs can come on without pulling the end of the lever outwards. This means that the electrical contacts are all in place but I can't see why I'm getting this issue unless of course, this is a faulty part which would be a pain.

The part number on the existing one is 04671872AD but when you search for replacement MFS the only part numbers I could find anywhere are (from Rockauto.com):

Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 05016951AB, 05073049AA, 1S2121, 5016951AA, 5016951AB, 5073049AA, 5073049AB, 5073049AC, SW2287

It doesn't exactly help much if different companies call the same piece of equipment by a different part number but that seems to be the way things are.

I am going to strip the existing one down to see if there is anything obviously wrong with it. I'll give it a good clean and then put it back in and see what happens. If it's good, I'll stick with the original.

A Google Search brought up a few German sites. RockAuto doesn't sell every part & if it's out of stock, sometimes it won't even list it till it comes back in. So, it's still possible you bought the wrong part...just cause it looks the same, doesn't mean it is.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 14 Mar 2016, 08:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I found the German sites as well.

My guess is the part is ok otherwise the lights just wouldn't work at all or it wouldn't fit. It would be remarkable if the part fitted and all the functions did exactly what they should but the lever also could turn the rear fogs on when it shouldn't.

Both fog light functions work as expected. It isn't like the unit isn't working, it's just I'm getting something additional. I'll take it out again and look at it further.

In the meantime I will see if I can recondition to old unit. I didn't start by doing that because I need the car so I thought if I get one and it works, then I can recondition the old one. I'm dismantling it later today.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Except for the rear fogs, the MFS should be the same. We have some good information about reconditioning the switch in our HOW TO section...

HOW TO's

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 09:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Except for the rear fogs, the MFS should be the same. We have some good information about reconditioning the switch in our HOW TO section...

HOW TO's
Yeah I saw those

The how to's are really useful.
Old 16 Mar 2016, 05:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Well, I managed to dismantle the MF switch last night. Slow job just in case any of the plastic is brittle as I don't want to snap anything. They quite an ingenius layout in terms of design and for the most part, they're quite hard wearing. The one I have is made by Lucas and apparently their stuff is not great. Well, I can see the poor design problem with the front fog assembly. The pull out switch on the stalk means when you're not using your front fogs (most of the time) the switch is under permanent tension and it is only is a resting state when being used (rarely - unless you're a little Colin McRae rudeboy who likes driving with his front fogs on all the time).

So in short, a dumb design choice. To bypass the front fogs, everyone tells you to remove the fuse which according to the manual, and the interior fuse board cover, is fuse number 8. In mine, and from what I have learned, in European models, this fuse is not used and is not in the socket which confused me for a while. The front fog fuse is in the PDC under the bonnet and is apparently number 21 (thanks Crewzin).

That said, the mechanism can be taken out of the MF switch which will prevent your battery from draining. You cannot fail an MOT because your front fogs don't work as front fogs are not part of the MOT test. Only a rear fog light is checked. That is true as of the date of posting.

Below is my disassembly of my multifunction switch showing the problem. I will post pictures of my fix when I do it.

1. MF unit with indicator relay switch and wiper stalk removed

2. Open showing front fog relay contacts and all bits in place

3. Bits removed and showing front fog relay contacts and lifter plate
(Apologies for hard to read text) Bottom bit says:
"This is the problem. This plate is lifted up all the time pushing the white tip at the top up to disconnect the fogs. The tip wears down and the light stalk wears through this plate"

4. Light stalk, relay contacts and lifter plate
Text reads:
1. Fog light pull out switch, when pulled out activates the plate in number 3
2. Two copper relay contacts with lifter in the centre
3. Lifter plate that the stalk lifts to push the fog relay up

5. Lifter plate and worn lifter tip

6. Front fog relay contact switch
Text at the bottom is a warning to be careful of removing the switch in case it is brittle and breaks.

Hopefully these will be of use.

Thanks for reading and I'll post my fix when I've done it. Here is the link to the forum post I used to figure this lot out.

Multifunction Switch repair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (57.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (68.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (80.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (54.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (55.3 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (48.8 KB, 80 views)
Old 17 Mar 2016, 04:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Although I haven't cleaned the unit completely, I have cleaned up the contact points. The grease that is in the unit. What sort of grease is it? Where can I get some? If I do the copper wrap or aluminium wrap fix suggested in the other forum, ideally I want to cover the metal sheet in some grease to ensure a smooth slide from the rod in the stalk.