Advertisements
Fixing little things

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Mar 2016, 06:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Fixing little things

I have a number of little things that need doing on my Cruiser.

In the dashboard on the dials, there appears to be a part of it that is very dark when the dashboard lights are on. I think that one of the bulbs behind the dial has gone of maybe shifted out of place. How easy is it to open the dashboard to check? Any guides?

Another job that I need to do is to change out the gas struts that push the rear door up. That doesn't look like a difficult job.

One thing I have been trying to get help with is the rear brake lights stop working because the fuse blows every couple of months. I have a bag of replacements so I can just take the blown one out and put in a new one but it would be great to get some advice on what it could be and how to fix it.

The next thing was under the bonnet (hood in US speak), on the left hand side by the hinge there is a ground wire that appears to join the bonnet to the right wing. I've read plenty of things about the ground wires in the Cruiser but all talk about the ones by the front suspension and the anti-roll bars. Where can I buy the replacement ones that I mention by the bonnet hinge because mine had snapped? Do I need to?
Old 14 Mar 2016, 06:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Fixing little things

Quote:
Originally Posted by snert View Post
I have a number of little things that need doing on my Cruiser.

In the dashboard on the dials, there appears to be a part of it that is very dark when the dashboard lights are on. I think that one of the bulbs behind the dial has gone of maybe shifted out of place. How easy is it to open the dashboard to check? Any guides?

Another job that I need to do is to change out the gas struts that push the rear door up. That doesn't look like a difficult job.

One thing I have been trying to get help with is the rear brake lights stop working because the fuse blows every couple of months. I have a bag of replacements so I can just take the blown one out and put in a new one but it would be great to get some advice on what it could be and how to fix it.

The next thing was under the bonnet (hood in US speak), on the left hand side by the hinge there is a ground wire that appears to join the bonnet to the right wing. I've read plenty of things about the ground wires in the Cruiser but all talk about the ones by the front suspension and the anti-roll bars. Where can I buy the replacement ones that I mention by the bonnet hinge because mine had snapped? Do I need to?

Remove the rear lights & look for cracks or holes in the backside of the lens...replace tail lights if you find any. They will hold water & bulbs or sockets will blow.

The hood ground strap you should be able to find on ebay.
snert likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 14 Mar 2016, 07:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks!

I will check the lights for cracks/leaks and condensation. The bulbs tend not to blow which is good. It's just the fuse. Could it be a wire shorting somewhere? If it is that, I suspect it will be nigh on impossible to trace the wire through the car unless anyone has a wiring diagram. I'd doubt that as each model and US/Euro variants would all be different.
Old 14 Mar 2016, 08:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The wire from the body to under the hood (bonnet) is nothing special. If it's long enough, just splice it back together. If not, any wire about the same size will do and the connections at each end can be picked up at any hardware store or you might find you can use the original connections over again.

The rear lift gate struts are easy to change out. If I remember correctly, they just snap/pop out of the ball holder which should be good enough to use over again. There might be a small snap ring on each end that holds the connection to the ball socket. If there's anything left in the struts, do one at a time so the other holds up the lift gate. If not, just use a wooden stick to hold it up or a friend.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.