PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Good Mileage???

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Mar 2016, 07:45 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Good Mileage???

I just ran through my first tank of gas and got about 14.7 mpg. Is that normal for a normally aspirated 2.4 PT?
Old 15 Mar 2016, 08:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Good Mileage???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVC View Post
I just ran through my first tank of gas and got about 14.7 mpg. Is that normal for a normally aspirated 2.4 PT?
PLEASE USE THE SEARCH FEATURE ABOUT MILLAGE there are dozens of this dating back to the beginning of this forum.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Mar 2016, 09:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
No, that's terrible fuel mileage even for a PT Cruiser.

Yours is a 2002 PT with a little over a 100K miles on it and auto transmission, right? If so, my 2001 Limited was just about identical. And it averaged around 22 mpg. If you search this forum as the other member suggested, you will find that between 20 and 22 mpg is about average.

There are many things that can effect fuel mileage including the way you drive and where you drive. If I hot-rodded my 2001 Limited around town all day, I might have gotten 14 mpg too.

Plugs and plugs wires may help. Also, assure your engine temp is sits about center on the gauge when warm. If it stays a lot cooler, that could indicate a thermostat stuck in the open position. And an overly cool operating temperature can cause the engine to use more fuel too. Look for fuel leaks and assure the tires are properly inflated and the front end alignment is good. Also, make sure the transmission is shifting into overdrive when it should. I've also seen catalytic converters and mufflers get stopped up and effect fuel mileage. But I've never seen this happen on a Daimler Chrysler. And I've haven't seen this reported on this forum where it happened to a PT.

Others will have additional suggestions. And be sure and search other similar threads on PT fuel mileage. Here's a link to some on this forum:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pt+c...uiserlinks.com

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 15 Mar 2016 at 09:22 am.
Old 15 Mar 2016, 09:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Before you respond again you may want do a complete health check of your engine.

Some of us are going to ask you!!

This may be helpful for future assitance questions.
PT problems read this FIRST l

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 15 Mar 2016, 09:18 am
Senior Cruiser

It's only one tank, so keep tabs. It might just be that it was filled up more than the last time. Under 15 is pretty terrible even for city driving. I have a stick and drive for mileage, but I don't remember ever getting less than 17 for a tank. Even in NY. Did you spend a bunch of time idling?
Old 15 Mar 2016, 07:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you for the replies and helpful info therein. And note to self - "Next time check Search first!" I'm new to this forum and plan to be here for a while so I'll get up to speed soon.

Speaking of which, I did a search for "Health Check" and didn't come up with anything specific. Most likely I ended the search just before I would have found the answer. Be that as it may, what is a "Health Check?"

Thank you.

RVC
Handy_Cruiser and Gkon like this.

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 18 Mar 2016, 12:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I have two PTs and neither one of them have ever experienced such low gas mileage, even in town driving with A/C on. Have you done something so simple as to check the air filter?
Prescott, Arizona, home of forested mountains, 5 lakes (well, four lakes and one big pond), and Arizona's Christmas City (my home 6,000 feet elevation) - 2005 Touring & 2002 Limited - both patriot blue & factory stock
Old 18 Mar 2016, 12:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The only way to get meaningful mileage figures is to take several tankfuls. The shut-off of gas pumps varies too much for one tank to be representative.
I keep a small book (about the size of a smart phone) in the glove compartment, and record every fill-up. At over 126,000 miles, I average just a hair over 25 MPG - overall.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 18 Mar 2016, 05:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Thank you for the replies and helpful info therein. And note to self - "Next time check Search first!" I'm new to this forum and plan to be here for a while so I'll get up to speed soon.

Speaking of which, I did a search for "Health Check" and didn't come up with anything specific. Most likely I ended the search just before I would have found the answer. Be that as it may, what is a "Health Check?"

Thank you.

RVC
Compression test

Cylinder leak down check (if compression is low or varied between cylinders) check)

Cooling system pressure test

Checking all hoses and lines.

Checking all electrical connections

Checking the PCM information

Electrical tune up

Suspension inspection

Tire pressure and wear pattern check

etc., etc., etc,.......

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 19 Mar 2016, 09:42 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks for all this. I did check the air filter and it was like-new clean. I can see how a long term mileage check would be a more meaningful, but I'm only on my second tank. I'll keep up with it though and I'll see what happens.

I haven't done anything on NitroPT's list. Right now the main thing is to change my timing belt and all related issues and I've spent a lot of time using search. It's amazing what's out there - pictures, step-bysteps and lots of opinions. Quite a learning curve here.

Thanks.

RVC
Gkon likes this.

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles