Advertisements
Back hatch Issues

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2016, 03:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Back hatch Issues

First we had an issue with the back hatch wouldn't open unless you used a key (started early Winter)
Then a couple days ago it started unlatching on it's own. It doesn't open... just the hatch unlocks.
It'll happen whether the key in in the ignition or if it's not. SO far it happened while driving down the road.
Anyone else ever have this problem - what causes it and how do you fix it
I'm open for for any answers
THANKS

Oh it's a 2007 PT touring (non turbo)
Old 16 Mar 2016, 06:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Back hatch Issues

Mine basically started doing the same thing. It started unlatching by itself whether the car was unlocked or locked. Most of the time after it started to happen, I saw "gate" where the odometer was and then I would have to get out then open and close it to clear "gate." I ended up pulling the fuse for the locks and just unlocking the necessary doors and locking them as needed. I ended up just ordering a new latch and was going to have my trusted mechanic put it on for me.
Old 19 Mar 2016, 11:21 am
Cool Cruiser

Sounds like your pressure switch is failing. The thing that you squeeze to open the hatch without using the key.

If that is the case, there is a thread on here with an excellent $2 fix by putting in a push button switch from Radio Shack. I've done it to mine and am VERY pleased with it.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 08:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

I seem to have the same problem with my 2006. Won't open with the fob and then have to turn the key and push the pad to open it. I want to investigate further, check for bad wires etc. Obviously step one is to remove the inside trim panel and in my experience that is the hardest part.

Is there a trick to removing the inside trim from the lift gate. It looks to me like it just snaps out, but there is one of those push in plastic fasteners that expands right at the middle of the trim by the latch area. Every time I try to take one of those out I destroy more than the fastener. I am thinking to drill it out and then just replace it with a similar one as the dealer will likely not sell that without trying to sell the whole trim panel. Appreciate any ideas or experience. Thanks
Old 11 Jun 2016, 08:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRick View Post
I seem to have the same problem with my 2006. Won't open with the fob and then have to turn the key and push the pad to open it. I want to investigate further, check for bad wires etc. Obviously step one is to remove the inside trim panel and in my experience that is the hardest part.

Is there a trick to removing the inside trim from the lift gate. It looks to me like it just snaps out, but there is one of those push in plastic fasteners that expands right at the middle of the trim by the latch area. Every time I try to take one of those out I destroy more than the fastener. I am thinking to drill it out and then just replace it with a similar one as the dealer will likely not sell that without trying to sell the whole trim panel. Appreciate any ideas or experience. Thanks
It should have a slot in it, just turn it & pull it out with your fingers...it's a 2 piece lock clip.
podo2000 likes this.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Jun 2016, 10:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I will give it a try and let you know. It did look like it was made of two pieces, one to insert nd then a second plug type to expand it.
Old 11 Jun 2016, 11:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRick View Post
Thanks, I will give it a try and let you know. It did look like it was made of two pieces, one to insert nd then a second plug type to expand it.
Actually, there is a grove in it with a little nub at the end. You'll see how it works when you pull it out.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 11 Jun 2016, 06:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparman440 View Post
Sounds like your pressure switch is failing. The thing that you squeeze to open the hatch without using the key.

If that is the case, there is a thread on here with an excellent $2 fix by putting in a push button switch from Radio Shack. I've done it to mine and am VERY pleased with it.
LIFE has been going on an we haven't had a chance to work on the hatch yet.
BUT I have noticed that now along with having to use the key to open it - It now will pop open on it's own. (not open up all the way; but just be like when a door is 1/2 way latched.) You can't life it an open it because the catch isn't 100% released.
Somewhere it sounds like I need to find that thread with the push button latch release.