PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
oil change

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default oil change

So my new to me 03 dream cruiser 5speed turbo is due for an my first oil change on it. I don't know what is in it what has been used, is it worth using Mobil one synthetic? What weight? Also, is it worth doing a transmission oil change too? I have a 5speed with the reverse upper left ( location of reverse gear tells us which model transmission is ). What oil should my tranny take and how much? thx all!
Old 17 Mar 2016, 12:19 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: oil change

With the turbo engine, the fear is that conventional motor oil will break down in the turbo oil lines due to heat and clog the lines with carbon. This is a pretty standard problem in smaller turbocharged engines since the motor oil circulates across the turbo bearing (just an insert on a little PT turbo) in order to lubricate and help cool it. When the oil cannot circulate it can cause premature turbo failure.

To solve this, many car makers recommend using synthetic motor oil in their turbo charged engines. Synthetic oils are generally more resistant to thermal breakdown. Many members here use Mobil 1 5w30 in their turbo PT's. There's other good and possibly better synthetic oils. But Mobil 1 has been around a long time and is a "known quantity". It's what I used in my 2005 GT.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Mar 2016 at 12:24 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I agree, my son uses Mobil 1 in his 03 GT and I use it my 03 Dream and in my 07 Ford Fusion and will in anything I own from now on. I also use synthetic ATF+4 in the transaxle as does my son.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 12:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

I assume the Amsoil guy will be chiming in at any moment...
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 01:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I assume the Amsoil guy will be chiming in at any moment...
I don't think her usually shows up until someone summons him like an evil Voodoo spirit. Just don't say his name three times.

PS: I'm just joking. Gold2006 is a good guy in my book.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Mar 2016 at 01:11 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 02:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
I don't think her usually shows up until someone summons him like an evil Voodoo spirit. Just don't say his name three times.

PS: I'm just joking. Gold2006 is a good guy in my book.

gold 2006
gold 2006 gold 2006
had to see if it worked--
Old 17 Mar 2016, 03:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you boost a lot with your Turbo Charger and than idle down or park within a few minutes of doing so than by all means do stay with a synthetic oil. But if you don't boost often and use common sense practices of running a few minute off boost before parking or idling than you can use a synthetic blend or even a none synthetic oil. But for the cost now a days it seems logical to just get a synthetic oils.

All engine oils will burn if not allowed to cool properly in an engine! More so in Turbo Charged engines so many Auto Manufactures actually use auxiliary after run pumps to circulate either oil and/or water or both through the Turbo Charger for a few minutes after the engine is shut off.

As for the viscosity (w in the oil description is for a winter mix/blend) I would recommend to use the old rule of deciding what to use based on the operating temperatures in your area.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Mar 2016 at 03:09 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 03:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

There are plenty of good brands of synthetic oil. I am sure that Redline, Royal Purple and Amsoil are fine products. Chrysler used to swear that Mobil 1 was the best, until Penzoil paid them to use their Platinum line and now you can void the warranty on a Dart by not using Penzoil.

FWIW, I use the cheapest high quality synthetic I can find. I'm usually using Mobil 1 5W30. Supposedly you should avoid switching brands.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
There are plenty of good brands of synthetic oil. I am sure that Redline, Royal Purple and Amsoil are fine products. Chrysler used to swear that Mobil 1 was the best, until Penzoil paid them to use their Platinum line and now you can void the warranty on a Dart by not using Penzoil.

FWIW, I use the cheapest high quality synthetic I can find. I'm usually using Mobil 1 5W30. Supposedly you should avoid switching brands.

Some things change however....and not to call you out....but
I would like to read that the warranty is voided by using customer choice of brand of oil?

There was a law preventing exactly that.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act

Much information can be read and found pertaining to the Magnuson-Moss Act.
This is one of the simplest explanation having to do with oil.

In 1975 Congress enacted the Magnuson-Moss Act to regulate consumer product warranties. An examination of the law reveals that manufacturers can issue specifications for oils used in their equipment to maintain warranty but they must allow consumers to use any oils that meet these specifications. Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) cannot refuse to honor a warranty for using non-OEM oils so long as the oils meet the OEM's specifications and are used in accordance with the OEM's required schedule of maintance.
The only way an OEM can specify using only their proprietary products and deny warranty for not using them is if they provide the required item at no charge to the customer.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 17 Mar 2016 at 03:36 pm.
Old 17 Mar 2016, 03:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The 1.4T engine has a new spec, MS-10896, that the oil has to meet. And supposedly, few oils meets this spec. Some that do are Pennzoil ultra, Amsoil Synthetic (Gold2006 would be proud), and of course, there is the right Mopar brand oil. There's likely others as well.

Whether Fiat/Chrysler would turn down a warranty over this spec, who knows?

Of course, the good old 2.4L turbo engine doesn't have this spec. So I guess we are getting off topic a little.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 17 Mar 2016 at 03:43 pm.