PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New PT owner, had some questions (spare / best key option / wheels, etc)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Mar 2016, 10:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Default New PT owner, had some questions (spare / best key option / wheels, etc)

I picked up an '01 PT Cruiser a week ago, I really like the feel/versatility of the cabin.

Had a few questions: I only have one key, it is the grey head key. Cost at the local dealer is $65 per blank plus a flat $55 for programming (no matter how many blanks I have). Is there a cheaper place to buy blanks? I know for Mazda there are on-line places that will mail you the keys, cut, based off of your VIN and maybe 65% of the price of MSRP. I want to more keys (three total).

One of my wheels loses air, I have read about the chrome plated issues. Did the neons or sebrings have wheel issues too? That is, if I buy the 16" wheel from a junk yard for a neon or sebring, was it a good wheel? My other option is to buy new alloys from Tire Rack for about $85 each, I'd rather stay cheap if I can. I don't mind the look but would prefer to avoid standard steel wheels.

The spare... doesn't hold air. Doesn't look like it's ever been used. The black paint flaked off with just the pressure from a garden hose. Is the problem the spare wheel, or is the rubber just so old it doesn't hold a seal? (the car is 15 years old)

Here you can see the air escaping, the water was from when I sprayed it down.

Also... I had water in the back floorboard after either washing the car or a thunderstorm we had. Is this from a blocked drain tube for the sunroof? The dark area was damp.

OK, this part looks like a cover for something. It was in the back when I bought the car. Any idea what it is for? Might not be for the car but I suspect that it is since the plastic matches the other plastic parts in the car.

Thanks!

(edited to reduce picture size)

Last edited by Spaz; 20 Mar 2016 at 11:14 am. Reason: Pictures are way too big for this forum
Old 20 Mar 2016, 07:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New PT owner, had some questions (spare / best key option / wheels, etc)

Welcome to the forum.

Spaz, the pictures you added to your thread are extremely too big for this forum. Please find a way to downsize them and re-post the pictures in another post following this one.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 11:27 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: New PT owner, had some questions (spare / best key option / wheels, etc)

I resized the pictures so they are under 100 kb (~ 15% of the original size), I think they'll be fine now.

On the spare tire question, if I need a new spare wheel what other spares would fit onto that cage without rattling around? Neon, Sebring, something else?

Another general question: the car has 83,000 miles on it but is a 15 year old car ('01 PT Cruiser Limited, not turbo of course). I just had the timing belt replaced and radiator flushed, plugs / wires replaced, oil change. I'm working on replacing the wheels. Front rotors replaced. Is there anything else I should do? It runs / drives fine. Maybe a manual transmission fluid change?

Thoughts on running a can of Seafoam through it?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Spaz; 20 Mar 2016 at 12:13 pm.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Spaz, thanks for the picture sizing.

One question I can answer is that spare part. It goes inside the slot/hole in the left rear of the car and covers the inside. You can just see it in place in this picture.

As far as the spare wheel: most space saver wheels will fit but you want to find a wheel with 5X100 lug spacing that will fit the cruiser. Neon is one of them.

Along with the timing belt, hopefully the belt tensioner and water pump were replaced. They both wear out and it's just as much trouble to change either of them as the belt itself.

Yes, I would do a transaxle flush (ATF+4 only). At least then you would know when it was done and you can start keeping records of the maintenance if your planning to keep the car for awhile.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 Mar 2016 at 12:34 pm.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 11:27 pm
Young Cruiser

The water pump and tensioner were not replaced, just the timing belt (I have the receipt), this was done by the prior owner right before I bought it. He was just trying to figure out what was wrong with it (turns out the timing belt had skipped three teeth).

I'll keep those in mind though.

In the meantime a nearby junkyard has an '02 Cruiser and one other, I'll scout them out this week to pick up... floor mats. $10 used per a phone call. I'll look for a neon or a sebring for wheels / spare, if they offer them at a reasonable price. Any other parts besides floor mats that I should keep my eye out for?

Thanks for your help!

I'm also looking for a new head unit / four new speakers, shopping Crutchfield, have a nice Kenwood in sight (HD radio, bluetooth, front-facing USB port). To be honest though, for an AM/FM tape deck, the unit that is in there right now (OEM) is very good. With the under the seat CD changer, it would have been a very impressive setup 15 years ago.