PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Occasional accelerating problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Mar 2016, 02:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Occasional accelerating problem

Hello all,
I have an 05 PT cruiser Turbo, and have been running into this problem for some time now. When starting the car, it starts right up, but when I go to accelerate usually the first or second time after starting the car up, it hesitates, and doesn't go. I usually just push the gas down and it will start going after a few seconds, then drives fine the rest of the way. The car will rarely quit while going through this problem, but then starts right back up.

I originally tried using a fuel injector cleaner, as it get like fas was having trouble getting to the engine, however that did little to solve the problem. I have also recently changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, and installed a new air filter.

The engine codes P0031 and P0037 are coming up, however I also had the 02 sensors all changed about a year ago, which did not solve the problem of the 02 sensors.

The car has roughly 106k miles on it, and I have owned it for about the last 30k.

Any ideas on what is causing the occasional sputtering?

Thanks!
Old 20 Mar 2016, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Occasional accelerating problem

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
WELCOME and Forum Rules

We encourage all new members to say hello and introduce yourself to the rest of the community by starting a post in the Welcome New PT Owners thread at the top half of the forum.

Stop replacing anymore parts until you solve or know exactly what part or the cause of the problem is. You could add additional problems by doing so.

Try to clean or replace the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve). They run between $45 and 75.

I recommend using a STANDARD brand AC419

I suggest to DIY's to always use a Diagnostic Scanning tool to check and properly clear DTC's.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 20 Mar 2016 at 03:12 pm.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 08:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I would recommend checking all the PCM plugs for oil. There has been cases of oil traveling up to the PCM plugs shorting out contacts.

Others have experienced power loss with the P0031 and P0037 codes. Recommend checking the PCM drivers if everything else has been checked out for the cause of P0031 & P0037.
Old 20 Mar 2016, 10:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I would like to add that you might try cleaning the throttle body too. If you've never done it, it sure won't hurt anything.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.