PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lower Control Arms

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2016, 08:03 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Lower Control Arms

Hey Guys, I have a question about the LCA's. I just got my whopping $213 tax refund and want to replace the LCA's on the GT. Now, I've looked at parts and prices at the Zone, Advance, O'Reilly and Rock Auto. Believe it or not, it looks like the best deal for me is from the local Zone. I can get the complete assembly with ball joint and bushings there for $50.99 each. Limited Lifetime Warranty. Of course, they're the Duralast brand. Advance wants $91.99 each! O reilly wants $49.99 each for some off brand I've never heard of and prices at Rock Auto vary from about $45.00 each for Moog up to $118.89 each for the Mopar brand. I think for the money, I'll just get them at the local Autozone and be done with it. If they fail, I'll be close enough to take them back and get replacements in the same day. Have ANY of you used the Duralast LCA's and if so, what's your opinion of them? Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 08:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Lower Control Arms

Well, if it was me, I would spend the extra $20 and get the "CK" line (as opposed to the inferior, RK line) MOOG arms from Rockauto. After discount and shipping, the price is about $124 to you in Lake Wales.

The CK Moog arms have the newly redesigned spherical rear bushing as well as overall excellent quality. They also have a lifetime warranty as well, that will be redeemable at any MOOG retailer anywhere (at least that's how it is here in Canada).

Note that it is not guaranteed that you will get the new bushings in the moog arms, given the different warehouses involved and whether or not they have lots of old stock, but I ordered two sets in 2015 from Rockauto, at different times, and I got the new bushings. So I would say the probability of getting the new style arms is very high. Some others have posted on the forum about ordering from rockauto and receiving the new arms as well.

For your 03 GT the part numbers are:
MOOG CK620009
MOOG CK620010
chuzz likes this.

Last edited by myckee; 21 Mar 2016 at 08:34 am.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 08:39 am
Cool Cruiser

I think the lower control arms design is bad from the start.

If I was real short on cash, I'd just buy the bushings independently and instal them on the control arms yourself. It's very cheap. I used an air chisel and some heat.

That's what I did for a friend.

On my car, I was just gong to order the control arms all set up like you talked about. Then I found the energy suspension master bushings kit. Hundered and thirty bucks, can't beat it. New design and better material. You will need to buy ball joint secretly for a whopping 20 bucks total.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 08:48 am
Senior Cruiser

Last week I ordered 2 Moog lower control arms from RockAuto. There's a 5% discount code floating around the forum here.

I got both control arms and shipping for $90 and change. Paid for regular shipping (1-5 days) and got them the next day, delivered to NY.

Old 21 Mar 2016, 09:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to search for the rockauto discount and then order the Moog LCA's. I've always used moog bushings in the past and have had good results with them. I don't have air tools, so this is something I'm going to have to do with 1/2" tools and a long breaker bar (if needed). Thanks to all of you.
Gkon likes this.

Old 21 Mar 2016, 09:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

For reference, here's my standard suspension write-up with part numbers including the improved Moog control arms. All this if a for a 2005 PT GT. There's a caveat at the bottom about the poly bushings:

Quote:
Overall, you could foreseeably overhaul the entire PT suspension for not too much money. You can buy new front struts with the coils already on them. And complete bushing set for entire suspension can be bought for less than $200. And rear struts and new rear coils are pretty cheap too. Here's a quick parts list with some popular brands. Not the cheapest.

2x MONROE FRONT STRUT W/COIL SPRING Part # 181592 $69.79 ($139.58)
2X MONROE REAR SHOCK Part # 5989 $26.79 ($53.58)
MOOG REAR COIL SPRING SET Part # 81053 $33.79
MOOG PROBLEM SOLVER CONTROL ARM LEFT Part # CK620009..$58.79
MOOG PROBLEM SOLVER CONTROL ARM RIGHT Part # CK620010..$58.79
Energy Suspension 5.18108G Master Bushing Kit for Pt Cruiser $113.98

Total is $458.51. Everything but the bushing kit would come from RockAuto with no tax and likely no shipping charge. You can also get 5% off this with a discount code. The busing kit is from Amazon and the shipping is free for me because I have Prime. The bushing kit would have extra pieces that already come on some of the new parts. But overall, it's likely cheapest to get the whole kit and use what you need. Softer butyl rubber bushings might help the ride more than these performance bushings. The part numbers here fit a 2005 PT GT. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 21 Mar 2016 at 09:57 am.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 10:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

I've ordered the Moog LCA's from Rockauto and expect them by this Friday. Thanks to JoeX for the 5% discount code. I spent a little more than I would have at Autozone, but I just DO NOT like shopping there, so it was worth the $14 to avoid them!

Old 21 Mar 2016, 10:06 am
Senior Cruiser

What problem do the Moog "problem solver" lower control arms solve? Do they give extra caster or camber? More adjustment? The last time I had my car aligned, my guy (who is an excellent alignment guy) said that it aligned okay, but to get the car perfect he would have to shim the rear and re-drill the holes in the struts. We agreed that it was okay as is and now worth drilling anything, but if new LCAs would correct it without the drilling I might go that route.

I think the RWD Mopar guys use the Moog problem solver pieces to get extra caster for stability, but only recently started hearing about them for the PT.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 10:36 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
What problem do the Moog "problem solver" lower control arms solve? Do they give extra caster or camber? More adjustment? The last time I had my car aligned, my guy (who is an excellent alignment guy) said that it aligned okay, but to get the car perfect he would have to shim the rear and re-drill the holes in the struts. We agreed that it was okay as is and now worth drilling anything, but if new LCAs would correct it without the drilling I might go that route.

I think the RWD Mopar guys use the Moog problem solver pieces to get extra caster for stability, but only recently started hearing about them for the PT.
The MOOG Problem Solver spherical rear LCA bushing looks more like a ball joint, in that it can swivel in all directions. The standard OEM bushings are rubber and must be correctly oriented in the arms. A while back when I had the arms replaced on my PT, an alert suspension tech at my local dealership noticed that the OEM type bushings in the new MOOG arms were not oriented correctly. At the time that I had new arms put on, their spherical bushing was not yet widely available. In fact, they had both their old style and new style arms in the supply chain and one could not tell from the part numbers which bushing you might get. The tech pushed out the bushings and re-oriented them into the correct direction.

MOOG spherical bushing:

OEM bushing:

I believe this is a picture courtesy of "Handy_Cruiser" from his installation:

There have been some other members on the forum that have installed the MOOG control arms with the spherical bushing, and some have reported that they feel the ride is somewhat harsh. I don't know if that still holds true or they were just used to how their PT's felt before the change.

There is a camber bolt kit that can be used to give more adjustment. The dealership used: MOPAR 05019074AA the last time that I had my PT aligned, the kit comes with 2 bolts and they only had to use 1 to bring it into alignment specs.

BOLT PACKAGE. Mounting. Camber Adjustment for DODGE. #05019074AA

Fk5, Handy_Cruiser and myckee like this.

Last edited by rckstein; 21 Mar 2016 at 10:58 am.
Old 21 Mar 2016, 01:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

What about the sway bar bushings? I might as well replace them since I have to loosen it to get the LCA's out. Anyone know if the GT carries the 24mm bar instead of the 22mm or is it just a crap shoot? I would THINK the turbo would have the larger bar, but who the heck knows for sure?