PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stripped nutsert on lower intake

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2016, 04:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Stripped nutsert on lower intake

Howdy, I went to change spark plugs and wires on the Pastel Yellow '07 over the weekend. I removed all but the last bolt holding the upper intake to the lower, and the one on the passenger side ( what I would call a nutsert ) was turning in the plastic lower manifold.

I talked to one of the mechanics at the local Chrysler dealer and he said that he would grind off the bolt and drill out the nutsert and replace it with a bolt and nut. That's kinda what I thought I would do, short of buying a new lower manifold.

Is there a way to press out the nutsert with the lower manifold on the motor, and replace it with another nutsert. I just want it to look as original as possible with out having to remove or replace the lower manifold.

Thanks Always.....john

'07 PT Limited Edition ,2.4 Auto ,Pastel Yellow,Two tone grey interior. 91,000 mi

'08 HHR Panel , 2.4 Auto, Black leather interior.

'09 HHR SS Panel , 2.0 Turbocharged,5 sp, One of 216 Panel SS's made.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 06:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Stripped nutsert on lower intake

If it was me, I'd just go to a salvage yard and grab a lower intake off of one of the many salvage PT's there. One off of a 2003 or newer PT should fit your 2007 NA. But take your old one with you to compare, just to make sure. If it was me, I'd replace the intake gaskets when I did this. The old ones are reusable, but why take chances on 9-year old rubber gaskets.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 22 Mar 2016 at 07:10 am.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 02:09 am
Young Cruiser

same here..!

I got an almost like new upper and lower intake set and cam sensor last week for 18.00 at the pick a part..

I have to stay away from there cause its like a treasure hunt, I got a seat set along with several other interior pieces, a multi switch, a complete set of relays and fuses for under 150.00 off a near mint 01 wreck too,

wrecking yards are a great place to learn how to disassemble your Pt, make your mistakes on theirs for free..
ColTED likes this.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Depending on how bad......I repair those easily on the car using a Time-Sert.

In fact I went out to take a picture and found a note to myself to reorder a few sizes for my supplies. I keep at least a box of both metric and standard i the most common sizes used for repairing or strengthening fastener area on cars,motorcycles and airplanes.

The likely-hood of having another one pull or strip on a used one should be considered. Having a kit the size to repair will not only add to your collection of repair tools but you will have a common size used on PT's for the next time should a mishap happen with a fastener on the intake.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Mar 2016 at 12:07 pm. Reason: added pictures
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeCruiser View Post
wrecking yards are a great place to learn how to disassemble your Pt, make your mistakes on theirs for free..
PLEASE don't take this personal .... your comment ^^^^ is why I have not been to a pick-n-pull in over a decade.

I got tired of needing a vital part planning the trip, hunting down the the model, year vehicle of the part I was looking for, only to find that the previous adventurer (I have stronger names ) had ruined dozens of parts including the one I desired just to get to the one part they wanted.

......carry on.......
Busted_PT likes this.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it is still stuck. You can take some wooden shims and pull it out by twisting with your ratchet while pushing in the shims until it pips out. Then you unbolt the feral and superglue it back in the hole. Best way is to start it in the hole run some glue around it and push it in with a socket or hammer by hand. To speed drying. Use some heat. They are usually over rightend and spun the feral to begin you problem. Stuff the opening with a rag to avoid dropping anything into the manifold.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Stuff the opening with a rag to avoid dropping anything into the manifold.
Stuff the intake runner with the white part of sandwich bread. The bread will seal the runner better then rags. This way you can vacuum out all the bread and shavings when the work is done. If any bread crumbs...lol remain they will not harm the engine in any way.

If there is any remaining bread you can simply spray the runner clean with anything flammable,i.e. carb cleaner,silicone spray,WD40 etc.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 26 Mar 2016 at 12:46 pm.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:50 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
PLEASE don't take this personal .... your comment ^^^^ is why I have not been to a pick-n-pull in over a decade.

I got tired of needing a vital part planning the trip, hunting down the the model, year vehicle of the part I was looking for, only to find that the previous adventurer (I have stronger names ) had ruined dozens of parts including the one I desired just to get to the one part they wanted.

......carry on.......
It does kind of suck to go to a salvage yard, and see all the trashed parts thrown inside a vehicle or on on the ground, that could have been perfectly useable to someone else, except that they were destroyed by the person before you, tearing it off in their haste to get to something else. Think of the person coming after you that may need that part for their project.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 02:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

......carry on.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
It does kind of suck to go to a salvage yard, and see all the trashed parts thrown inside a vehicle or on on the ground, that could have been perfectly useable to someone else, except that they were destroyed by the person before you, tearing it off in their haste to get to something else. Think of the person coming after you that may need that part for their project.
Not to mention some yards decide that they would be better to take off and charge for it then selves. Somebody pays for your learning. Simply look it up on google so you have a good idea what's involved. Makes it better for everyone. :cool-yo
rckstein likes this.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 27 Mar 2016, 01:22 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Stuff the intake runner with the white part of sandwich bread. The bread will seal the runner better then rags. This way you can vacuum out all the bread and shavings when the work is done. If any bread crumbs...lol remain they will not harm the engine in any way.
Absolutely agree with this, Excellent advice.. Many other trades also employ this same tactic.

Ill get some pic's of the wrecking yard I go to, Most all cars are nose high 2 feet of the ground so you have access to top and bottom.
I agree its a shame what I see at the yards, much of it just as you guys are stating, I to think about the people coming behind me, and carefully dismantle items.

On another note I'm going to seriously disagree with you guys on the subject of learning at the pick-a-part yard, there is much to learn at a pick a part yard, learning doesn't have to mean destroying.. Need an alternator for your PT..? first take it off a car at the wrecking yard, when you get home with it you will have a much better understanding of the process and how to put one back on, Of course Google it & watch a couple videos first, Knowlage is power.. It would also be wise to buy a repair manual too.

Most importantly take lots of photos of each step at different angles to refer back to and have ziplock bags handy to store nuts bolts and the bag marked with their position.

Last edited by IbeCruiser; 27 Mar 2016 at 03:01 am.