• 2 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon
  • 2 Post By LionPT
  • 1 Post By LionPT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2016, 10:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Put the White Shadow in the shop today

I suspect the Power Steering Pump is going out. While in there I am having them replace the spark plugs, timing belt and check out the water pump and motor mounts. Anything else I need to get them to look at?
Old 22 Mar 2016, 02:26 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Put the White Shadow in the shop today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro25 View Post
I suspect the Power Steering Pump is going out. While in there I am having them replace the spark plugs, timing belt and check out the water pump and motor mounts. Anything else I need to get them to look at?
"Look at" is not the right choice of words, if you close to 100,000 replace is wiser.

If your water pump goes two weeks after they change the timing belt you would be charged double labor and start to hate you car.

Timing belt kit- Belt, tensioner, water pump, seals on cam, idler, passenger side motor mount,
Radiator cooling fan probably doesn't have much life left in it, belts for AC/Power steering, tension pulley, Alternator Belt.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 22 Mar 2016, 02:29 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
It would be wise not to just check the water pump, but replace it.
Timing belt is gonna have to removed again if water pump goes bad.
Spend the extra $150-$200 now rather then $1000 or more later to do basically the same job.

Timing belt, idler pulley & water pump.

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 22 Mar 2016, 09:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with others - replace the water pump with the timing belt.
Have the other belts replaced as well.
ptprice likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Mar 2016, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just called them and pulled the trigger. Price is at 1100 so and rising.
Old 22 Mar 2016, 03:44 pm
Banned

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Apr 2016 at 12:53 am. Reason: Removed because some other member wants to run the entire forum
Old 22 Mar 2016, 03:45 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Just called them and pulled the trigger. Price is at 1100 so and rising.
The average price for timing belt, idler & water pump seems to be $800-$1200 depending on where you live & what kind of shop.
ptprice and Castro25 like this.

Old 22 Mar 2016, 06:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

SOOO BIG's timing belt replacement cost $700.00 but you get what you paid for. I had to settle for that as it was an "on the road" repair. After the fact I've spent another $200.00 to correct screw ups those yahoos did.

So for a reliable shop, around $1000.00's not too much to pay if it includes new spark plugs and wires, timing belt, belt idler, tensioner, water pump, gaskets and see if they'll throw in a serpentine belt.

If they have to dismantle the AC for access be sure they properly flush and evacuate the system and replace all seals before adding new Freon. The job can be done a number of ways without interfering with the AC, including dropping the whole engine/drive assembly.

Be sure, if they move the Cruise Control unit for access, that it's properly re-plugged and functioning. If not your cruise control could dangerously, unexpectedly surge to extremely high speeds. I discovered this driving back on I-95 just over the Florida line.

If engine coolant system hoses are removed and anti freeze is drained, be sure it's "properly" refilled.

These are insights and the following are experience of three days in limbo in Kingsland , Ga. when SOOO BIG timing belt went south unexpectedly.

Two nights in Kingsland, Georgia, staying in one of the Souths "finest motels was a life enhancing experience.

Don't ask the local lady of the night to recommend where a good place to eat is. I found out that's a sexually euphemistic innuendo in Kingsland, Georgia. Relative to this suggestion, be sure your motel room door is locked!

Also, for no reason, don't accidentally shoot the local sheriff the bird while he's got his hand on his gun! But that's another story that's already been told.

Good luck. Happy ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 23 Mar 2016 at 12:19 pm.
Old 26 Mar 2016, 11:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I got the car out of the shop and its running fine. They found a leaky water pump. Replaced the timing belt, 2 motor mounts and the spark plugs. No issue with the power steering pump. Now however the cruise control doesn't work. Looks like they did mess with the cruise control unit. I will call them back on Monday. How hard is that to fix?
Old 26 Mar 2016, 12:42 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
So I got the car out of the shop and its running fine. They found a leaky water pump. Replaced the timing belt, 2 motor mounts and the spark plugs. No issue with the power steering pump. Now however the cruise control doesn't work. Looks like they did mess with the cruise control unit. I will call them back on Monday. How hard is that to fix?
Upper passenger side, check the plug & the vacuum hoses.
Castro25 likes this.