PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Front end clonk.

 
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Vlefaive
  • 2 Post By JoeX
  • 1 Post By wb2kki

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2016, 11:38 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: St Petersburg Fl.and Salisbury, England.
Posts: 9
Default Front end clonk.

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Dream Cruiser with 74500 on it. I bought it in November 2015 with 68K on it.

Earlier this month I replaced the front sway bar bushes and that got rid of all the clonking and bonking coming from the front end. In the relative silence that ensued, I can now hear another clonk. It happens when I go from overrun to acceleration and is obviously more noticeable at low speed, in car parks and traffic queues, etc.

I'm guessing a drive shaft is on the way out but is there anything else I should be looking at first?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Alan
__________________
If things don't change, they'll stay the way they are.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2016, 12:06 pm
Vlefaive's Avatar
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Whitby ON Canada
Posts: 1,630
Default Re: Front end clonk.

Does your radio work ? If so, turn it up.
__________________
'03 GT Blue/ autostick.. 160,000KM ( That's 100,000miles for y'all South of the border ) All the options, the heated leather is a must up here in Canada, Love the solid heavy duty feel and obvious Torque.. The Turbo is strong, fast and reliable.. People that don't understand the love of a PT, probably don't deserve to.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 23 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: Front end clonk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retreatingblade View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Dream Cruiser with 74500 on it. I bought it in November 2015 with 68K on it.

Earlier this month I replaced the front sway bar bushes and that got rid of all the clonking and bonking coming from the front end. In the relative silence that ensued, I can now hear another clonk. It happens when I go from overrun to acceleration and is obviously more noticeable at low speed, in car parks and traffic queues, etc.

I'm guessing a drive shaft is on the way out but is there anything else I should be looking at first?

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

Alan
Motor mounts are my firs guess, then lower Control Arms.
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2016, 07:15 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: St Petersburg Fl.and Salisbury, England.
Posts: 9
Default Re: Front end clonk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX View Post
Motor mounts are my firs guess, then lower Control Arms.
Thanks, I'll have a roll around underneath and see what I can find.
__________________
If things don't change, they'll stay the way they are.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 25 Mar 2016, 09:44 am
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SW PA
Posts: 1,348
Default Re: Front end clonk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retreatingblade View Post
Thanks, I'll have a roll around underneath and see what I can find.
Those parts are difficult to diagnose by looking at them unless you know what to look for.
__________________
Addicted to Mopar You can tell how old I am..
65 Dodge Coronet 6 cyl 2dr Post
66 Ply Satellite with 273 engine swap to 69 340 4spd
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 26 Mar 2016, 09:54 am
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 298
Default Re: Front end clonk.

Look around for a rust spot near a moving joint. sometimes that helps diagnose a loose part.

Have the same problem here. Even my mechanic can't find it. Seems worse now the weather is getting warmer.

Sooner or later I'm sure it will show it's ugly head.

06 PT
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 26 Mar 2016, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: St Petersburg Fl.and Salisbury, England.
Posts: 9
Default Re: Front end clonk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2kki View Post
Look around for a rust spot near a moving joint. sometimes that helps diagnose a loose part.

Have the same problem here. Even my mechanic can't find it. Seems worse now the weather is getting warmer.

Sooner or later I'm sure it will show it's ugly head.

06 PT
Mike
I'll get under there with a bloody great screwdriver or a prybar and see whats what.
__________________
If things don't change, they'll stay the way they are.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help please! Passenger front front seat back rest wobbly Feld PT Cruiser Videos 1 24 Mar 2015 01:41 am
WTB: 01-05 passenger front fender & front bumper cover g60racer Classifieds: Want To Buy 2 16 May 2013 04:39 pm
Clonk Clonk Clonk tinpot Wheels, Tires, Suspension 0 12 Jun 2011 07:50 am
Changing Front Disc Brakes and Front Bumper? HackMATTr General PT Cruiser Discussions 12 14 Feb 2011 12:58 am
Front ceramic front brake pads coopj40 General Turbo Discussions 1 17 Mar 2007 06:42 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 pm.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors