PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shop charging me $500 to replace a single auto transmission solenoid

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2016, 07:29 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Shop charging me $500 to replace a solenoid pack on 2001 PT cruiser

They said it's $300 for the part and $180 for the labour. After searching I saw the part can be obtained plenty of places for half that much and that the labor time should be less than 3 hours. Am I being majority ripped off here or is it reasonable for them to charge so much? Your answers determine the fate of their yelp review. 2001 model by the way.

Thanks!

Last edited by piccolo; 28 Mar 2016 at 09:35 am.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 07:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Shop charging me $500 to replace a single auto transmission solenoid

First, are you sure it's a solenoid? The solenoid pack sets on the outside front of the transmission on the driver's side. On a PT it's kind of below the battery tray. But more toward the center of the car a little. And it's relatively easy to get to.

The 40TE and 41 TE transmissions often have failures either with the clutches or the sun gear gets sheared. Then the tranny will go into limp home mode and only shift up to 2nd gear. People believe (hope) it's just the solenoid pack and try changing it out since the tranny won't shift past 2nd and because it's easy to change. But it often does not work because that's not the usual problem.

So please make sure the solenoid pack is the real issue. And if so, the price quoted sound to be on the "high side" of normal to me. It sounds like the shop is trying to charge you list price for the part and then three hours as some kind of minimum labor charge.

If it was me, and if my PT would still travel in limp mode, I'd likely drive to another tranny shop and get a second opinion and a second quote. Then I'd have a better idea of whether the first guy knows what he is talking about.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 28 Mar 2016 at 07:55 am.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 09:18 am
Banned

Default Re: Shop charging me $500 to replace a single auto transmission solenoid

Handy_Cruiser likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Apr 2016 at 12:38 am. Reason: Removed because some other member wants to run the entire forum
Old 28 Mar 2016, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yes it was the Solenoid pack, sorry, not a single Solenoid. I just picked the car up and paid a whopping $533 including taxes. They charged me $298 for the pack, $85 for the diagnosis work, $100 for the installation, and $12 for transmission fluid.

The exact part the receipt says I got was an ECH TCS567 Solenoid pack which I see are $190 on nappa and $150 on ebay. I understand shops have to add a little mark-up to make a profit and I can respect that, I'm just wondering if this one went a bit overboard.

Good news is that the stuttering issue I was experiencing around 20 MPH seems gone now so I do believe they diagnosed and fixed the problem correctly (fingers crossed!). Will come back crying if that proves to be untrue.

I definitely should have price checked with other shops too before agreeing. Next time I'll know.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 09:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckstein View Post
What kind of shop is it? In my area (Dallas/Ft. Worth) dealership labor rate is about $110/hr. Also, shops generally charge double what you may be able to get the part for, because they have to provide a warranty on the part and their labor, this extra covers them in the event of a part or labor failure or claim.

But you could take it to another shop, a second opinion never hurts.
Private auto mechanic shop in New York City. What you say makes me think it was more reasonable that I initially thought I suppose.

Last edited by piccolo; 28 Mar 2016 at 09:41 am.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 10:00 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
Private auto mechanic shop in New York City. What you say makes me think it was more reasonable that I initially thought I suppose.
Piccolo, if you are ever interested, I'd recommend my shop I go to. I live in Queens, but drive out to New Hyde Park for them to work on my PT.

I've known the owner's for years. They do top-notch work, are honest, guarantee their work and will not overcharge you.

Yes, they do mark things up though, to make a profit. Usually not too much, but sometimes it depends on what they are getting it for from their supplier.
For example, the control arms I just had replaced, I got a set of Moog CA's online for $90 for the pair. The best price the shop could get them for was $105 each. So that was something I bought myself and brought to them to install.

The sway bar bushings they installed were $23 for the pair, which you can find for about $15 online. Not so much of a markup.

Anyway, I always buy what I can at a better price and they'll install it for me.

Let me know if you want their info.
Old 28 Mar 2016, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The 41TE is a good transmission if it is serviced regularly like any other part on a PT. If it is neglected it will cause problems. The main failure of the 41TE is the Torque converter which will cause other internal parts to fail.

The subject of labor cost from shops ...for all members, if you don't understand how a shop derives at their estimate don't criticize them so much.[/U]
Many times on forums members will complain but rarely show a copy of the actuality estimate. We don't know what all was included and all the information from the shop?Only what is told to us the total is?

I doubt every shop in the USA is trying to rip people off. There are reason why estimates are what they are.

Let me just place one word for the main reason... WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't like what one shop is estimating FIND ANOTHER!!

As for problems with PT Cruisers on this and other forums you should really read this?
Car Repair Advice Forum= at your own risk

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 28 Mar 2016 at 11:06 am. Reason: I see a PM from carey so I know where that is going!!!
Old 28 Mar 2016, 11:45 am
Banned

Gkon likes this.

Last edited by rckstein; 26 Apr 2016 at 12:39 am. Reason: Removed because some other member wants to run the entire forum
Old 28 Mar 2016, 01:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolo View Post
I don't think the dealer shop rate in NYC has been $60 since the 80s. That price may have been a little high, but doesn't seem crazy. I have a solid guy in Brooklyn. When you find somebody good you hold on to them like grim death!
Old 28 Mar 2016, 02:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I don't think the dealer shop rate in NYC has been $60 since the 80s. That price may have been a little high, but doesn't seem crazy. I have a solid guy in Brooklyn. When you find somebody good you hold on to them like grim death!
Yep, a truly good independent mechanic is very hard to find no matter where you live. And a good transmission guy (that doesn't just want to rebuild everything that comes through the door) is even rarer. These folks should be prized when you find a good one.
rckstein and Gkon like this.