Advertisements
Oil Pan + Trans leak

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pasadenahotrod03Dreamer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Mar 2016, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Oil Pan + Trans leak

Well the ol Dark Knight 2001 LIMITED EDITION (who really needs paint, need to find good deal on paint but I digress) the ol PT who got her new engine put in in jan 15' and kicked butt all winter made it to now(March) and flashed her oil light , now granted it had been more than 3k mi since I'd changed her oil more like 6k mi but she flashed her light so I took her to express lube, the guys asked where I'd had my last oil change because I needed to go back to
Them because the wrong plug was in the pan it was oversized... Anyway I take it to valvoline where I got the oil changed and they said I needed and new oil pan and gasket ..but they went ahead and changed the oil $38 also noting a transmission leak..so then today I go to my mechanic and he says the silicon treatment to stop the trans leak is $179 and he had me order the parts from oreilly pan and gasket,$135 for the pan and $35 for the gasket.. So looks like getting the new oil pan and gasket and getting the transmission leak stopped with cost me about $400. I'm going to the beach while it's getting worked on so I'm going to not stress about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (92.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 28 Mar 2016, 08:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Pan + Trans leak

My brain explodes every time I hear or read this kind of post.
Oil change places hire anyone who is breathing to work there.
Not even the minimal amount of automotive knowledge is necessary.
That why so many people have had to have engine rebuilds "Sorry the place you went before forgot to tighten your oil pan plug and all the oil poured out...blah blah", oil pan plugs replaced "Sorry, the place you went before overtightened the oil plug and when we broke it free the threads stripped in the pan so a self tapping oversize plug was all we could do but it still leaks do you'll need a new blah blah", etc etc.
Not to mention the inevitable additional services you need like air filters, fuel filters, wiper blades, PCV valves, radiator caps and on and on.
Arghhhhhhhhhh!
chuzz likes this.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 07:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

My transmission filter and gasket from O'Reilly cost me $11.99 plus tax. What in the world did they order for you?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 Mar 2016, 07:39 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
My brain explodes every time I hear or read this kind of post.
Oil change places hire anyone who is breathing to work there.
Not even the minimal amount of automotive knowledge is necessary.
That why so many people have had to have engine rebuilds "Sorry the place you went before forgot to tighten your oil pan plug and all the oil poured out...blah blah", oil pan plugs replaced "Sorry, the place you went before overtightened the oil plug and when we broke it free the threads stripped in the pan so a self tapping oversize plug was all we could do but it still leaks do you'll need a new blah blah", etc etc.
Not to mention the inevitable additional services you need like air filters, fuel filters, wiper blades, PCV valves, radiator caps and on and on.
Arghhhhhhhhhh!
To be fair, most of these cars probably do need air filters, fuel filters, wiper blades, PCV valves and on and on. I just hate to see them prey on fear and overcharge, but truth is, many people neglect their cars.

A friend's Tacoma engine seized on the highway. When it got towed in, they were told that the express lube place didn't tighten the filter down and all the oil leaked out. Sounds like it is the lube places fault, right? I'm not so sure. The oil change was 3 weeks prior. They never checked the oil and when it started running hot and the engine light came on, they kept rolling trying to make it from Jersey to Baltimore. Didn't even pull over to check what was wrong.

If they'd have called AAA first they wouldn't have needed a new engine. Funny thing is that when they took it to Toyota for the engine (don't ask) it turned out the truck had a warranty/recall for rusty frame, so they now have a new engine and frame.