Quick Question about Rarity

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By WrenchnIswhatIdo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Mar 2016, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Quick Question about Rarity

Good morning, afternoon, evening to everyone out there in PT Cruiser land.

I have a quick question and short story to go with it.

My girlfriend drives a beautiful 2005 PT Limited Turbo Lite. All options minus seat warmers I believe. Great condition minus fade spot on the front bumper. 125k Miles.

On St Paddy's day, she was rear-ended. The damage exceeded the value of the car according to the insurance company. We've been doing some research on the rarity of that car / color combination. I can't find a single thing on it. Most Purple PTs I see for sale (Nationwide USA) are base models or just in horrible condition. Was the Purple TurboLite that rare or am I crazy? We are hoping that the rarity will help our case against the insurance company.

Overall it looks like she's going to be getting rid of her PT... which makes me sad to see it go. She was a very versatile and fun car.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Quick Question about Rarity

with so many made I don't think the Purple one wsa really that rare the 2005 was the last year for the gen 1 PTs I don't think there are actual numbers on how many colors were made but if there were some one will let you know
Old 31 Mar 2016, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I figured that if there was anything special about it this would be the place to learn.

It's just incredibly frustrating because I cannot find ANY Purple Turbolites for sale that are in any form of decent condition.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 03:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Kelly blue book is where i usually go it will allow you to put in the condition the 125,000 miles takes it out of the excellent even thought that's not a lot for a 11 year old car
Old 31 Mar 2016, 03:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The only partially rare PT Cruisers are the special editions models that Chrysler made each year beginning in 2002. They are called the Dream Cruisers with special numbers and colors and only a limited production run for each.

The bad part about them is that someone said KBB and other sites for used car prices don't even have a space to input that there was such a thing as a Dream Cruiser so the added value is up to the seller. I haven't verified that information.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Mar 2016 at 03:25 pm.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Here's some good info on the 2005 Wagons from Northwest Cruisers Spokane and Coeur D' Alene Area PT Cruisers Club. It's does not mention the Deep or Dark Plum color for 2005. But this information is likely not completely definitive. There's also a very subjective list of PT collectability at this link: PT History

Quote:
2005 Sedan - Models were Base, Touring, Limited G and K Packages, and GT. Exterior colors deleted were Bright Seamist Green, Light Almond Pearl Metallic, and Graphite Metallic. An added color was Linen Gold Pearl Coat. The other 2004 colors were carried over. In addition, two-tone combinations of Black over Bright Silver, Electric Blue, Inferno Red or Linen Gold were offered for the Touring, Limited and GT sedans. Other changes were minimal, consisting mostly of minor changes to the options packages. Changes were made to the Touring Edition's standard and optional equipment packages, and the addition of a second Limited Edition "G" CPOS (Customer Preferred Ordering System) package that enhanced the existing Touring "F" CPOS package. As an example for the Touring model, the touring suspension was changed to normal duty, cruise control, sunscreen glass, light group, and a new Moon Roof Group became optional. Fog lamps, security alarm, and the moon roof by itself (not part of a package), were not available. These equipment changes seemed to be intended to lower car prices, being in line with the across-the-board lowering of the base prices for all models by removing what had been standard equipment. For example, the base price of the GT was about $4,000 less than the 2004 model. The tailgate latch was changed to non-moving a one-piece design. Cars with remote keyless entry now had a pressure switch on the underside of the Chrysler badge on the lift-gate to release the latch. Cars without RKE used a key to open the lift-gate. Touring and Limited models could have ABS ($595). The Limited with the 180hp turbo engine ($2,000) could have four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and traction control ($825). MSRP's were Base ($13,405), Touring ($15,405), Limited ($17,315, and GT ($22,905). The Auto-Stick on the GT added ($440). The powered moon-roof on the Limited added ($750) and on the Touring added ($1,100). Heated front seats on the Limited and GT added ($250). Side impact airbags for Base and Touring added ($390). The GPS navigation radio for the Limited and GT added ($1,100). The "woody" option was available on the Limited for ($895). The rear spoiler for Touring and Limited was ($150).
Old 31 Mar 2016, 09:42 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Oh MY GOSH.!
That right there is worth the price of admission
Thank you for that "Awesomeness"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post
Here's some good info on the 2005 Wagons

2005 Sedan - Models were Base, Touring, Limited G and K Packages, and GT. Exterior colors deleted were Bright Seamist Green, Light Almond Pearl Metallic, and Graphite Metallic. An added color was Linen Gold Pearl Coat. The other 2004 colors were carried over. In addition, two-tone combinations of Black over Bright Silver, Electric Blue, Inferno Red or Linen Gold were offered for the Touring, Limited and GT sedans. Other changes were minimal, consisting mostly of minor changes to the options packages. Changes were made to the Touring Edition's standard and optional equipment packages, and the addition of a second Limited Edition "G" CPOS (Customer Preferred Ordering System) package that enhanced the existing Touring "F" CPOS package. As an example for the Touring model, the touring suspension was changed to normal duty, cruise control, sunscreen glass, light group, and a new Moon Roof Group became optional. Fog lamps, security alarm, and the moon roof by itself (not part of a package), were not available. These equipment changes seemed to be intended to lower car prices, being in line with the across-the-board lowering of the base prices for all models by removing what had been standard equipment. For example, the base price of the GT was about $4,000 less than the 2004 model. The tailgate latch was changed to non-moving a one-piece design. Cars with remote keyless entry now had a pressure switch on the underside of the Chrysler badge on the lift-gate to release the latch. Cars without RKE used a key to open the lift-gate. Touring and Limited models could have ABS ($595). The Limited with the 180hp turbo engine ($2,000) could have four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and traction control ($825). MSRP's were Base ($13,405), Touring ($15,405), Limited ($17,315, and GT ($22,905). The Auto-Stick on the GT added ($440). The powered moon-roof on the Limited added ($750) and on the Touring added ($1,100). Heated front seats on the Limited and GT added ($250). Side impact airbags for Base and Touring added ($390). The GPS navigation radio for the Limited and GT added ($1,100). The "woody" option was available on the Limited for ($895). The rear spoiler for Touring and Limited was ($150).
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 31 Mar 2016, 10:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
The only partially rare PT Cruisers are the special editions models that Chrysler made each year beginning in 2002. They are called the Dream Cruisers with special numbers and colors and only a limited production run for each.

The bad part about them is that someone said KBB and other sites for used car prices don't even have a space to input that there was such a thing as a Dream Cruiser so the added value is up to the seller. I haven't verified that information.

I know in my neck of the woods, the insurance companies determine write off value by looking at, say, Craigslist to see what the same year/model in similar condition/mileage is selling for and generalize by that number. If the repair estimate exceeds 2/3 of the value of the car, it's usually a total loss.

Some insurance companies will let you buy back the car, you can fix it and drive it with a salvage title, it depends on the insurance company and how much you love the car.

Tags
limited, purple, question, turbo lite