Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Interesting A/C fix for SOOO BIG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2016, 03:52 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Interesting A/C fix for SOOO BIG

SOOO BIG got a new AC compressor a few weeks ago along with a new accumulator dryer, expansion line, new seals, a complete evacuation and Freon. He came out of the shop literally spittin' ice cubes.

All's well till 2PM today when the A/C seemed to be on its last legs. As the guy who does all my A/C work is very reliable and trustworthy I took it right over. He got under SOOO BIG's hood and in 15 minutes announced, "I've found and fixed the problem".

"Has any else worked on the A/C since me?" he asked.

"Nope", I said, "I've only been under the hood to clean out the engine bay and underneath. No wrenches have been turned".

Well, I have to admit", he said, "there was a smig to much Freon in the system and I drain it off to the proper level. If you'd continued using it, seals might've blown and maybe other damage coulda occurred. It's OK now. You come back anytime".

I was so grateful I shook everyone's hand, did my happy dance and generally made a fool of myself in my own inimitable fashion. As I'm known for demonstrations like this, you might assume it was almost expected.

So that's the A/C tip from me to the Forum, especially to you that consider topping of your Freon yourself.
Even the experts can get it wrong at times.

SOOO BIG's spittin' ice cubes again and I'm a happy boy.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 02 Apr 2016 at 01:05 am.
Old 01 Apr 2016, 06:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Interesting A/C fix for SOOO BIG

The one I worked on, the ac was hard stuff.

Had a factory defected condensor that leaked. Then when charging my buddy was all, that's not put too much in. Beginners always put too much in.

We checked it with thermometer, 43 degrees. When I went to return the loaned ac gauges, I added a little. From 33 low side to 37. Was not really taking it too fast, also not wanting to break anything.

It's cold, not like super cold. Shrugs.