• 3 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By Castro25
  • 4 Post By njsteve1
  • 1 Post By njsteve1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Apr 2016, 11:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Back up cameras

I know some of you have installed a back up camera on your car and I am looking for ideas on the placement for the camera that came with my dash cam. Below is a pic of it. It is waterproof and connects with 3m tape.The camera will be wired to the reverse lights for power and activation and display on the dash cam that serves as my rear view mirror. The perfect place would be under the handle to the back hatch but I dont know if it will interfere with the opening the door. Any ideas on how and where I will attach this too are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12914719_1175658065808333_1838776651_o.jpg (73.8 KB, 53 views)
Old 01 Apr 2016, 11:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Back up cameras

An installer I use did one on a PT recently for me. I should have gotten pics but he placed the camera in the licence plate frame. If it's angled correctly you get a fine view of what's behind.

I personally can't stand the damned things but hey, that's just me...and if people want them, I'm happy to make money off them.
Old 02 Apr 2016, 12:51 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Here's a few photos of my back up camera installation on SOOO BIG. The kit itself, an Amazon item, was priced at just $29.95. It's a very satisfactory and complete unit for that price, or any price.

I really wasn't that impressed with the much smaller mirror mounted units or that most of them are "clip ons"( tacky), and the cost can be hundreds of dollars more! Not a lot of bang for the buck. First and foremost a back up camera unit is for safety and convenience. The larger the monitor the more efficient the view.

This monitor will also show movies as I can hook up my 12V DVD player to it. I find it hard to watch the movies though with the distraction of having to, at times, take my eyes off the screen to look at the road. "Just kidding!"

This unit includes the huge monitor, remote, swivel mount, license plate mounted back up camera, wires, fuse holds, cables, RCA connections and easy to follow instructions.

I did a bit of adaption to the swivel mount and fabricated a base mount that fits in the seam between the center radio bezel and upper dash. This leaves absolutely no holes in the trim.

The license plate mount is the most sensible as it's exactly the right height and also lends the means to route the back up camera wires through the license plate light hole in the rear bumper cover to the PT interior and on to the monitor.

There's a more complete thread of this installation in the "how to" section of the Forum.

You can check the same project on my control panel albums.

It's a worthwhile project. The reasonable price of the unit I used is an added bonus

If you have any more questions you can PM me and I'll talk you through it.

Happy Ptin', ptprice

Amazon add for back up camera.jpg

Monitor detail for back up camera 001.jpg

Monitor detail for back up camera 002.jpg

Monitor detail for back up camera 006.jpg

necessity is the mother of invention.jpg

metal plate and patterns.jpg

TFT LCD color monitor mount modifications 001.jpg

SOOO BIG's backup camera project 014.jpg
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 03 Apr 2016 at 01:15 pm. Reason: addition
Old 02 Apr 2016, 08:55 am
Regular Cruiser

If you're not interested in having a big monitor the rear view camera monitors I've seen are pretty slick. You don't even know they're there until you put the car in reverse.

I've also seen people go through an aftermarket double DIN head unit although I don't know how difficult that was.
Old 02 Apr 2016, 11:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro25 View Post
I know some of you have installed a back up camera on your car and I am looking for ideas on the placement for the camera that came with my dash cam. Below is a pic of it. It is waterproof and connects with 3m tape.The camera will be wired to the reverse lights for power and activation and display on the dash cam that serves as my rear view mirror. The perfect place would be under the handle to the back hatch but I dont know if it will interfere with the opening the door. Any ideas on how and where I will attach this too are greatly appreciated.
That camera should fit nicely under here. There no real need for it to be perfectly centered. The one I put on my charger is offset almost a foot to one side and works great. First try just using one of the license plate light screws as shown in my photo below. And if there is a second ear to the bracket that we cannot see in your photo, you can drill another whole for that one after you decide if you like the placement.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 02 Apr 2016 at 11:23 am.
Old 02 Apr 2016, 10:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The hold drilled would be for the wiring. The bracket will be held on by a very very sticky 3m tape.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Old 03 Apr 2016, 08:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Here's my set up

2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 03 Apr 2016, 09:24 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Steve, does that back up camera monitor dash installation function as your radio also?

Happy ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 03 Apr 2016, 09:52 am
Cool Cruiser

Yes,

Amazon.com: Jensen VX7020 2 DIN Multimedia Receiver, 6.2" Touch Screen with Bluetooth & Built-in USB Port (Black/Black): Car Electronics

I install the updated model in my other car

Amazon.com: Jensen VX7022 2 DIN Multimedia Receiver, 6.2" Touch Screen with Bluetooth, SiriusXM (Black): Car Electronics
Castro25 likes this.
2004 Dream Cruiser / 5 speed Traded for 12 Veloster
2003 GT / Blue / Auto /sold
2001 Touring/ Silver / 5 speed /sold on E Bay
Old 21 May 2016, 08:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Steve, how did you get a double din to fit into the first gen Cruiser?

Last edited by 044400; 21 May 2016 at 11:18 pm.