PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission HARD to shift - Cannot find solution !!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2016, 12:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Automatic Transmission HARD to shift - Cannot find solution !!

ok..hope you guys can help!!

i bought this 2006 PT Cruiser Limited (Automatic - 2.4L Non-Turbo) around 2 years with 80k miles (now is 102k), and always have been hard to shift.

Somebody told me that the shifter cable is bad, thats why is hard to shift it, that i have to change it before it broke..so last weekend i went to the junkyard and got a new (used $12) shifter cable from a 2008 PT Cruiser, i change it and.... SAME, HARD TO SHIFT !!
so..maybe is the Transmission?
2 years ago when i bought this i got a mechanic to change belts, check..etc
he told me that he added all fluids and stuff, but i dont know about that now.

i just checked fluid Level but i dont understand it.. all i can see is FULL.
here is the picture

today after work i just tried to put in Reverse and it was sooo hard that.. CRACK! the plastic holding the cable stopper cracked.
Lucky for me it was in Drive so i can drive back home and now im able to move holding the plastic with my hand.

Last edited by MEFISTO; 03 Apr 2016 at 02:53 pm.
Old 02 Apr 2016, 10:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission HARD to shift - Cannot find solution !!

Update on this..

i just bought 4x 1Qt ATF+4 and i will change Transmission fluid and filter tomorrow
i hope that helps

bigger the idea that the mechanic 2 years ago added ANY fluid but ATF+4
and now that red fluid is almost with no color, has lose his properties so thats may causing all this
Old 03 Apr 2016, 08:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Why not disconnect the cable from the transmission end and then see if you can manually rotate the selector by hand? This will instantly tell you if the cable is at fault, or the transmission. Make sure the wheels are blocked, and you are parked on a flat surface so there will be little to no load on the parking pawl, thus enabling the selector to be rotated easily. If it does rotate easily, then either your shifter or cable is the problem.
LionPT likes this.
Old 03 Apr 2016, 08:13 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You have an automatic?? What you are saying is gear selector is hard to move?
If so, then changing the transmission fluid, while a good idea, will not do squat for the selector problem, which has to do with the linkage. When you swapped the cable, were all bushings and pulley wheels in good shape?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Apr 2016, 02:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
Why not disconnect the cable from the transmission end and then see if you can manually rotate the selector by hand? This will instantly tell you if the cable is at fault, or the transmission. Make sure the wheels are blocked, and you are parked on a flat surface so there will be little to no load on the parking pawl, thus enabling the selector to be rotated easily. If it does rotate easily, then either your shifter or cable is the problem.

already did, cannot move by hand (key in ON)
so..is gotta be the Fluid, I hope

the thing is will remove pan, and change filter, buy How I drain the transmission fluid? because fluid pan store about 4qt but the whole transmission is 8qt

thanks for reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You have an automatic?? What you are saying is gear selector is hard to move?
If so, then changing the transmission fluid, while a good idea, will not do squat for the selector problem, which has to do with the linkage. When you swapped the cable, were all bushings and pulley wheels in good shape?
Automatic.. yes!
gear selector is super hard to move, bushings and cable was moving perfect before the install.
im going to change fluid in the next hours, but im looking info about how to drain the whole transmission, not only the fluid from pan
I will insert a hose and drain fluid from the dipstick, but I believe is the same as drain the pan

Last edited by MEFISTO; 03 Apr 2016 at 03:01 pm.
Old 03 Apr 2016, 03:09 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The torque converter holds about 4 quarts and you CAN'T drain it, so a gallon is about all you're going to be able to replace. That's what most of us do and live with. You just take your time removing the transmission pan and make sure you have a large catch pan under it. I usually leave a couple of front bolts in and try to let the back side of the pan down to start draining into my catch pan. Once it's started and flowing good, I simply try to ease the trans pan lower to drain more fluid out. Once I've gotten all out of it I can, I then hold the pan flat against the trans and remove the last few bolts. Then I just try to lower the trans pan without tilting it, as it still has fluid in it. Get it down, tip it into the catch pan and then let the transmission drain for another hour or so into the catch pan while I remove the filter, old gasket material and clean it up and get it ready for re installation. Make sure you get ALL of the silicone off the trans mounting surface as well as the pan. Put some RTV (I use black) on the pan and let it sit for about 20 minutes to get tacky, then put my gasket on. After letting the trans drain for an hour or so, I put my new filter in and then put the pan back on. Make sure you torque the pan to specific inch pounds. If you just try the old snug it method, you may over torque a bolt and strip it and you really don't want to get into that. It's time consuming and messy, but very rewarding once you're done and your car shifts great.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 03 Apr 2016, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
The torque converter holds about 4 quarts and you CAN'T drain it, so a gallon is about all you're going to be able to replace. That's what most of us do and live with. You just take your time removing the transmission pan and make sure you have a large catch pan under it. I usually leave a couple of front bolts in and try to let the back side of the pan down to start draining into my catch pan. Once it's started and flowing good, I simply try to ease the trans pan lower to drain more fluid out. Once I've gotten all out of it I can, I then hold the pan flat against the trans and remove the last few bolts. Then I just try to lower the trans pan without tilting it, as it still has fluid in it. Get it down, tip it into the catch pan and then let the transmission drain for another hour or so into the catch pan while I remove the filter, old gasket material and clean it up and get it ready for re installation. Make sure you get ALL of the silicone off the trans mounting surface as well as the pan. Put some RTV (I use black) on the pan and let it sit for about 20 minutes to get tacky, then put my gasket on. After letting the trans drain for an hour or so, I put my new filter in and then put the pan back on. Make sure you torque the pan to specific inch pounds. If you just try the old snug it method, you may over torque a bolt and strip it and you really don't want to get into that. It's time consuming and messy, but very rewarding once you're done and your car shifts great.
great, Thanks!
I was thinking about maybe I could not able to remove the rest of the fluid so I will change 4qt and next month when all fluid is mixed again change other 4qts so I get more % of new fluid
lets see how it goes

thank you again
Old 03 Apr 2016, 06:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEFISTO View Post
Update on this..

i just bought 4x 1Qt ATF+4 and i will change Transmission fluid and filter tomorrow
i hope that helps

bigger the idea that the mechanic 2 years ago added ANY fluid but ATF+4
and now that red fluid is almost with no color, has lose his properties so thats may causing all this
someone can correct me if I'm wrong but if it has a 604 trans in it and someone put regular Dexron in there, the trans should go into limp mode with a CEL.

Most transmission fluids are red. Not sure about Ford's Type F though.

And does the transmission shift jerkily when it's in drive?
Old 03 Apr 2016, 07:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Ford's Type F is also Red. At least it still was back in the 90's when I was working at Autozone.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 03 Apr 2016, 11:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sunday 9.27pm Updateeeeee...

i just finished drain transmission , change filter, clean trans block and oil pan, RTV oil pan and spec torque
Now i will wait some hours to cure and then refill with 4qts ATF+4 (will be 50% new Fluid)

so tomorrow morning will be the conclusion of this,
if still doing the hard shift... im fuc#t

btw.. because my Transmission Pan doesnt bring Drain plug
i just use this Pump ($6.99 harbor freight) to remove 1 gal (kinda more) of old fluid

Picture: (let me know if u cant see it)
sorry my engine bay is not the best, my time and love now is going on my project car