Advertisements
Suspension clunk (noise) in 2010 PT Cruiser

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Flash619

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Apr 2016, 02:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Suspension clunk (noise) in 2010 PT Cruiser

An annoying 'clunk' noise in my wife's 2010 PT (43,000 miles) was finally traced to the right front engine mounts. The bushing in the lower mount was pretty much torn while the upper one was about half-way gone. From inside while driving, the clunk seemed to come mostly from the right rear but occasionally from the front. it was noticeable going around corners, driving over manhole covers, etc., but the common denominator was when you'd resume acceleration.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 10:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Suspension clunk (noise) in 2010 PT Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJF View Post
An annoying 'clunk' noise in my wife's 2010 PT (43,000 miles) was finally traced to the right front engine mounts. The bushing in the lower mount was pretty much torn while the upper one was about half-way gone. From inside while driving, the clunk seemed to come mostly from the right rear but occasionally from the front. it was noticeable going around corners, driving over manhole covers, etc., but the common denominator was when you'd resume acceleration.
These are more commonly known as dogbones or 'engine torque struts'. The actual engine mount itself is midway down the engine on the passenger side and should probably be replaced at the same time. If you are replacing them yourself, please note there is a special 'setting' procedure for the engine torque struts outlined in the factory manual. At first after replacing them you may notice stiffness, such as a vibration in the steering wheel etc... they do have a break in period.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 11:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

jjf

Welcome to the forum

PT problems read this FIRST

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Apr 2016 at 11:07 am.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 11:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
TThe actual engine mount itself is midway down the engine on the passenger side and should probably be replaced at the same time. .
I can tell you have never replaced the lower engine mount yourself.

This mount is a PIA for even experienced DIY as well veteran Auto Technicians or mechanic's.

Verify that it is broken or bad before attempting to replace it. And by all means read a factory service manual on how to do it and follow it to the letter.

There are short cuts posted by some over the years replacing it but every one can cause harm to your PT Cruiser and more importantly or yourself.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN

Last edited by NitroPT; 10 Apr 2016 at 11:07 am.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 12:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
I can tell you have never replaced the lower engine mount yourself.

This mount is a PIA for even experienced DIY as well veteran Auto Technicians or mechanic's.

Verify that it is broken or bad before attempting to replace it. And by all means read a factory service manual on how to do it and follow it to the letter.

There are short cuts posted by some over the years replacing it but every one can cause harm to your PT Cruiser and more importantly or yourself.

Thought about replacing it when I did the timing belt, I can completely agree it's a PIA. Luckily mine wasn't cracking as far as I'm aware.

Last edited by Flash619; 10 Apr 2016 at 12:44 pm.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
Thought about replacing it when I did the timing belt, I can completely agree it's a PIA. Luckily mine wasn't cracking as far as I'm aware.
The only real way to be able to test for the a broken lower mount aside from the obvious driving attributes attributed to its failure is while it is on jack stands or on a rack/hoist. You can then place a pry bar positioned to be able to manipulate the engine at the mount by gently prying to see how much movement there is. Which should almost be none.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Apr 2016, 01:22 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I just recently inspected a 2006 PT Cruiser and commented to him on how smooth the PT was, even more so then my PT. Failed strut mounts will do that at idle. I also told him that at least the upper and lower struts were bad and needing to be replaced and that after he did so the PT would actually idle like a PT Cruiser. Which would not be as smooth as his current PT was idling. A little rough is good and normal for a 2.4 US model PT Cruiser. LOL
When we returned from the test drive I could easily rock his engine with just my hands.

We did not inspect the lower engine mount because this was a driveway inspection.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN