PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Found a New Junk Yard Accidently

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2016, 05:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Found a New Junk Yard Accidently

Well, today I have a dead battery. It was a used one I got from a junkyard last summer. I didn't have enough money to buy a new one and still don't. Sooooooo, I called the junkyard I usually go to and the woman tells me they don't sell used batteries and haven't for 4 years. I contradict her and she assures me that all they sell is REFURBISHED batteries. I told her those are used and she said I didn't know what I was talking about. I asked her if she knew where I could purchase a used one and she directed me to a competitor about 5 miles down the road from them. These people (where I got the last one) wanted $45 plus a core for a REFURBISHED battery. I went to the other junkyard and got one for $25 plus my core. I'll be shopping there from now on as they put all of their cars up on wheels so if you need something from underneath, you can get it. The one I've been going to leaves them flat on the ground. They could use some lessons! Anyway, sorry to get off topic, but I'll keep an ear on this sucker and if I hear it boiling again, I'll try a new cap. I don't really like the way this one fits, but it's the one that came with the car. Good news is they had a PT Cruiser on the lot. Bad news was that it's an 05, non turbo.
Gkon likes this.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 06 Apr 2016, 08:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Found a New Junk Yard Accidently

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuzz View Post
Well, today I have a dead battery. It was a used one I got from a junkyard last summer. I didn't have enough money to buy a new one and still don't. Sooooooo, I called the junkyard I usually go to and the woman tells me they don't sell used batteries and haven't for 4 years. I contradict her and she assures me that all they sell is REFURBISHED batteries. I told her those are used and she said I didn't know what I was talking about. I asked her if she knew where I could purchase a used one and she directed me to a competitor about 5 miles down the road from them. These people (where I got the last one) wanted $45 plus a core for a REFURBISHED battery. I went to the other junkyard and got one for $25 plus my core. I'll be shopping there from now on as they put all of their cars up on wheels so if you need something from underneath, you can get it. The one I've been going to leaves them flat on the ground. They could use some lessons! Anyway, sorry to get off topic, but I'll keep an ear on this sucker and if I hear it boiling again, I'll try a new cap. I don't really like the way this one fits, but it's the one that came with the car. Good news is they had a PT Cruiser on the lot. Bad news was that it's an 05, non turbo.
Walmart sell a new battery for $48 pluse core.

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Old 06 Apr 2016, 09:46 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Nationwide is a chain of junkyards named LQK. They have reasonable prices and here usually have between ten and fifteen PTs in each of their three yards.
The yards are broken into two yards, early pre-2005 and late 2005-up.
General admission is $2 with $1 more if you're going to the late yard. Carts are available for hauling large stuff or very heavy stuff.
You will sometimes find 2001-2004 cars in the late yard and 2006-2010 in the early yard. We have seen a good number of Turbo cars in either yard, the most was 3 Lites, 2 GTs, and a Dream. We have only rarely seen a convertible, n/a or turbo.
There it is folks. Enjoy. Don't forget to bring tools and water.
ptprice, chuzz and Castro25 like this.
Old 07 Apr 2016, 06:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Maybe where you live. You can't touch a battery here in FL at Walmart for less than a hundred bucks out the door.

Old 07 Apr 2016, 07:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted_PT View Post
Yeah. That is where I should have gone. Walmart is a pretty decent drive for me, so I got mine at K-Mart. Ended up being $67 I think. I was kind of angry when I got there and it ended up being around $90 out the door, but it turned out their core charge was $15. That is way more than they gave me on my last one.
Old 07 Apr 2016, 07:39 am
Dedicated Cruiser

My favorite outdoor $2.00 sport is "cruisin'" our local LQK yard. There's always between 5 to 10 PTs to ravage. They also have used batteries. Come on over for the day, we'll have a burger, and hit the yard if you can keep up with this old geezer!

Happy Ptin', ptprice
chuzz likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 07 Apr 2016 at 07:43 am. Reason: additional text
Old 07 Apr 2016, 09:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
My favorite outdoor $2.00 sport is "cruisin'" our local LQK yard. There's always between 5 to 10 PTs to ravage. They also have used batteries. Come on over for the day, we'll have a burger, and hit the yard if you can keep up with this old geezer!

Happy Ptin', ptprice
I may have to do that one day after I have my foot surgery next month, Price. I'm gimpy now and after a couple of hours walking or being in the junkyard, my foot is killing me. Surgery is scheduled for May 3rd! And BustedPT, I owe you an apology. Walmart does show batteries for $48.88 but none of the stores in the area I live in have one. Isn't that convenient? I put in a request to be notified when they have one in stock. I won't hold my breath waiting though.
ptprice likes this.

Old 07 Apr 2016, 01:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Interesting discrimination of batteries going around....most are not completely new anymore even when you think you are buying them new. It is a trickery so to say of the wording from the EPA rules and regulation and what manufactures are allowed to claim under those regulations for recycling and manufacturing of advertised new items. It's no wonder why so many "new" batteries don't last as long as they use to?
All car batteries should be checked every season change mostly between summer and winter. Or minimum at least once a year to help reduce electrical problems.
ptprice likes this.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Apr 2016, 01:39 pm
Veteran Cruiser

my A-rab buddies taught me that when you're hard off, batteries are free if you find a wrecked/totaled car that was towed to a gas station. all it takes is big enough balls to pop the hood.
ptprice and chuzz like this.
Old 07 Apr 2016, 03:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Well, when I was a union pipe-fitter, my nickname was bullnuts! LOL I'd have no problem doing something like that. Most of them cut the cables at a wreck nowadays anyway. I don't have a hold down on my battery. Are the PT's supposed to have one. I didn't even notice a place to hook one up, now that I think about it.