Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2 questions: Trans ID / Engine coolant

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Apr 2016, 11:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2 questions: Trans ID / Engine coolant

2 questions that are probably common but there is so much garbage on the net that I'm having a hard time finding the info I need.

I need a transmission filter change and I have a kit that I picked up a while back and I want to make damn sure it's the right one before I drop the pan. I think there are 2 transmissions I could have... it's a 2006 automatic base model 2.4 non turbo. How can I I.D. my transmission?

Secondly: I also want to renew my coolant. Rumor is that the H.O.A.T coolant is a mopar scam and you can just use prestone "all makes/all models" type coolant and it's perfectly fine. Is that true?

Thank you in advance.
Old 07 Apr 2016, 12:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2 questions: Trans ID / Engine coolant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_81 View Post
2 questions that are probably common but there is so much garbage on the net that I'm having a hard time finding the info I need.

I need a transmission filter change and I have a kit that I picked up a while back and I want to make damn sure it's the right one before I drop the pan. I think there are 2 transmissions I could have... it's a 2006 automatic base model 2.4 non turbo. How can I I.D. my transmission?

Secondly: I also want to renew my coolant. Rumor is that the H.O.A.T coolant is a mopar scam and you can just use prestone "all makes/all models" type coolant and it's perfectly fine. Is that true?

Thank you in advance.
Take the VIN # to the dealer and find out which transmission it has in it.

I am suggesting you replace the coolant with the same coolant from the dealer that is in the PT Cruiser. The question is how often are you going to change the coolant and why take a chance on any other coolant that might not be compatible. I have friends of mine that decided to try and save a few dollars and now they have a clogged coolant system with brown residue from mixing two different coolants.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 07 Apr 2016 at 12:02 am.
Old 07 Apr 2016, 07:36 am
Senior Cruiser

I would be worried about any kind of coolant. Do you have any way of being sure what is in there now? AFAIK, while they are supposed to be universally compatible, you shouldn't mix them. If it were me, I would wait until the summer and then flush it a few times with distilled water and then use the coolant you decide is best.

We are the original owners of mine, but when we got the radiator done I couldn't tell what they had in there. I just waited until it was warm and kept draining, disposing and filling with distilled water. When I was sure all the old was out, I went back to coolant. I went with the Zerex/Valvoline G-05 because that is "general consensus" but whatever you do, I wouldn't mix. Of course two months after I was finally done the "new" radiator started weeping. Ugh.

Last edited by Fk5; 07 Apr 2016 at 08:36 am.
Old 07 Apr 2016, 07:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
I would be worried about any kind of coolant. Do you have any way of being sure what is in there now? AFAIK, while they are supposed to be universally compatible, you shouldn't mix them. If it were me, I would wait until the summer and then flush it a few times with distilled water and then use the coolant you decide is best.

We are the original owners of mine, but when we got the radiator done I couldn't tell what they had in there. I just waited until it was warm and kept draining, disposing and filling with distilled water. When I was sure all the old was out, I went back to coolant. I went with the Zerex/Valvoline G-05 because that is "general consensus" but whatever you do, I wouldn't mix. Of course two months after I was finally done the "new" radiator started weeping. Ugh.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of using distilled water?

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles
Old 07 Apr 2016, 07:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum

you don't really need distilled water..........look up what antifreeze does.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 07 Apr 2016, 10:03 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVC View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of using distilled water?
Just an extra safety measure if you have hard water. I'm sure tap water is fine, but for 85 cents I'll use the distilled.
Old 07 Apr 2016, 11:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Distilled water is not really necessary due to part of the coolants property is to protect against any minerals in normal tap water that could form corrosive build up.
Old 08 Apr 2016, 02:00 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: 2 questions: Trans ID / Engine coolant

My dealer had a coolant system service flush/fill for $99. I had both my PT and my Ram Pickup done a few years back. I think the manual says 5 years on the coolant. Both my rigs are 2006.
Old 08 Apr 2016, 06:32 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Distilled water is not really necessary due to part of the coolants property is to protect against any minerals in normal tap water that could form corrosive build up.
Like I said, I'm sure it is not a big deal, but I generally run straight water for a time while I am making sure all of the old coolant is out of it.
Old 12 Apr 2016, 09:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
Take the VIN # to the dealer and find out which transmission it has in it.

I am suggesting you replace the coolant with the same coolant from the dealer that is in the PT Cruiser. The question is how often are you going to change the coolant and why take a chance on any other coolant that might not be compatible. I have friends of mine that decided to try and save a few dollars and now they have a clogged coolant system with brown residue from mixing two different coolants.
The Dealer isn't an option for me. Draining and flushing the coolant isn't a problem.