PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements
       

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

 
Like Tree12Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07 Apr 2016, 09:59 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7
Question 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

Starts, for bout 3seconds then shuts off, if you hold gas pedal so rpms around 1500, you can keep it running, we've changed all censers, and secruty system seems to be working fine! Also this is non turbo, thinking at this time problem maybe the CPM! Oh, the only code showing is idle air. Anybody with any ideas ?

Almost forgot, if you unhook battery for 2/3 days, it will start and run fine for about 20 minutes, then this ploblem starts again!

Last edited by Bob0; 07 Apr 2016 at 10:02 am.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07 Apr 2016, 10:53 am
LionPT's Avatar
Veteran Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,373
Default Re: 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob0 View Post
Starts, for bout 3seconds then shuts off, if you hold gas pedal so rpms around 1500, you can keep it running, we've changed all censers, and secruty system seems to be working fine! Also this is non turbo, thinking at this time problem maybe the CPM! Oh, the only code showing is idle air. Anybody with any ideas ?

Almost forgot, if you unhook battery for 2/3 days, it will start and run fine for about 20 minutes, then this ploblem starts again!
What is the actual code..??
Bob0 likes this.
__________________

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07 Apr 2016, 04:53 pm
Busted_PT's Avatar
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Beckley, W.V.
Posts: 13,895
Default Re: 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

it sounds to me that you need to clean or replace idle air control valve.
__________________

03 Dream stock___________________________ 04 Touring turbo lite stock_________ 02 Touring stock_____________________ The "Three Amigos"
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________Performance, Body and Service, OEM

This Is my project page.
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...oject-1-a.html

This is a great read from one of our own! Badglas
badglas.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2016, 06:08 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7
Thumbs up Re: 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

I tried something yesterday that I read,,,, I read somewhere that the security and ecm computers need to sync together, and to do this you leave the key turned on for 3 to 4 hrs! well, I tried this and would you believe the pt runs great now,, !!!!

SO hopefully this takes care of the problem, now only time will tell!

So a big "thank you" to every one on here, I will keep you posted if this is a good fix!
Fk5 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2016, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,339
Default Re: 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob0 View Post
I tried something yesterday that I read,,,, I read somewhere that the security and ecm computers need to sync together, and to do this you leave the key turned on for 3 to 4 hrs! well, I tried this and would you believe the pt runs great now,, !!!!

SO hopefully this takes care of the problem, now only time will tell!

So a big "thank you" to every one on here, I will keep you posted if this is a good fix!
IF it happens again check to see if the red security light comes on on the dash. I always suggest the "leave the key turned on for 3 or 4 hours" if the little red security light is on due to the security immobilizer locking up. If the security light is not coming on I would recommend you have a battery load test done. The computers in the PT Cruisers are sensitive to voltage drops.
Bob0 likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2016, 03:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7
Default Re: 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

Well
That didn't last long,,, this morning it started up and run good, went down the road bout a mile and shut it off, and came back out and went to restart it, and now we are back to same problem! "will not idle" , only code that shows up on my code reader is P0508, and has all along, we've even changed the idle air unit but no help, And the battery is in good shape and voltage is good!

I'm guessing now, but looks like I may have to change the ECM!

thanks again to all that has tried to help!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 08 Apr 2016, 09:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Posts: 7,339
Default Re: 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

P0508 - Idle Air Control Motor Sense Circuit Low Input Conditions:

Possible Causes:

1. IAC motor driver circuit is open or shorted to ground
2. IAC motor sense circuit is open or shorted to ground I
3. AC motor is damaged or it has failed
4. PCM has failed

A shorted IAC can damage the drivers in the PCM and that can also set a P0508 IAC valve sense circuit low trouble code. I would recommend checking the wires going to the IAC motor and if the wires are okay consider replacing the IAC motor before replacing the PCM.
Bob0 likes this.
__________________
If at First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12 Apr 2016, 09:19 am
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7
Default Re: 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
P0508 - Idle Air Control Motor Sense Circuit Low Input Conditions:

Possible Causes:

1. IAC motor driver circuit is open or shorted to ground
2. IAC motor sense circuit is open or shorted to ground I
3. AC motor is damaged or it has failed
4. PCM has failed

A shorted IAC can damage the drivers in the PCM and that can also set a P0508 IAC valve sense circuit low trouble code. I would recommend checking the wires going to the IAC motor and if the wires are okay consider replacing the IAC motor before replacing the PCM.
Let it set for a couple days and tried it, started up run fine, for bout 10 minutes, then back to same problem, time to save up some $$$ and a new ecm, thanks for ideas folks !
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12 Apr 2016, 10:05 am
Fk5 Fk5 is online now
Senior Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colesville, MD
Posts: 1,850
Default Re: 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

Just in general, I am assuming that the security light is not/has never been on?

In that case, I would start by looking at the wiring near where you have been working. Something you did probably caused it to run better for a time. It is very rare that it is dumb luck, and it does not seem likely that the key on trick was the fix. Usually we moved something that caused the change.
chuzz likes this.
__________________
2003 GT 5 speed
162,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12 Apr 2016, 03:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 7
Default Re: 2005 pt, starts but will not stay runing

security light is not and has never been on!
also to let ya know some background, we were having same problem before we changed the motor, but this was changed because of very low compression in #2 cylinder, (50lbs!), also we've changed all censers after changing the motor! idle air unit has been changed also.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2005 wont stay running hiitsme General PT Cruiser Discussions 13 29 Mar 2016 07:07 pm
engin runs rough at operating temp ,starts fine but starts to buck when you give it t moby General PT Cruiser Discussions 1 01 Oct 2014 06:57 pm
2005 PT Cruiser won't start -- wait two hours and starts fine ugacruiser Tech & Performance Forum 18 17 May 2014 03:00 pm
2005 cruise control will not stay on and work designer_jeff General PT Cruiser Discussions 3 20 Feb 2013 07:39 pm
How do I know If Im runing a Stage1 PCM? niel Stage Turbo Kits 17 15 Apr 2011 11:19 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 am.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2 © 2011, Crawlability, Inc.
vB.Sponsors