Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pt cruiser fits.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Apr 2016, 04:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Pt cruiser fits.

2005 pt cruiser non turbo 108k miles. Timing belt and water pump professionally replaced. About 8000 miles ago. Fast forward to now. Vehicle is pushing coolant into the recovery tank on longer trips. Or 35 miles or more. Not really overheating I don't think... The gauge goes to about the middle then fluctuates a bit up or down. Cooling fan was replaced because shop said it wasn't working on low. It still isn't. I see it's a common problem, where are the wires that are the usual problem? I've been thinking its a head gasket problem, but have decided I need to fix the fan first. And se what happens. I've replaced the radiator cap with a MOPAR cap. I've replaced the thermostat and recovery tank hose as well as the radiator around 2 years ago. It did overheat on my wife once when it ran low on coolant. I'm hoping to with some ease to get the fan figured out so I can continue on with any possible other diagnosis. Also, when I look at the low speed relay there are 5 prongs. However only four seem to have contacts in the distribution panel. Thanks for any advice other than telling me to use the seAtch button lol. I've been searching. My wife has a trip to Iowa on July and I need this thing sorted out, it's our good car
Old 08 Apr 2016, 04:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Pt cruiser fits.

The fan have been or may still be a factor.

But if it was me, I'd do a chemical test on the coolant to check for combustion gas. That will help tell if it is a head gasket issue. Understand that if it is a head gasket, something caused the heating at some point that caused the head gasket to begin to fail in the first place.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 08 Apr 2016 at 04:58 pm.
Old 08 Apr 2016, 05:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yup we are all getting close to summer and warmer temperatures.....

seems issues repeat every year and start right about now?

LOL

Good luck everyone...I hope some of can guide you to resolving some of your cooling system issues!

welcome to the forum

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 08 Apr 2016, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ThAts why I want the cooling fan sorted out first. They ran a test to see if there were gassed in the coolant and there wasn't. Some white smoke at the tail pipe and water drips" can't remember what it was like before I started noticing. Oil level stays the same, loses some between oil changes. So long story short I have yet to rule out anything. The wife loves the car, that's why I care. I'd put a new long block in if I had to. I've thought about adding an auxiliary fan to the front of the car, but I'd like to see the problem with the oem stuff fixed
Old 08 Apr 2016, 06:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post
Yup we are all getting close to summer and warmer temperatures.....

seems issues repeat every year and start right about now?

LOL

Good luck everyone...I hope some of can guide you to resolving some of your cooling system issues!

welcome to the forum
Ha! Mine started leaking in December
Old 08 Apr 2016, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ThAts why I want the cooling fan sorted out first. They ran a test to see if there were gassed in the coolant and there wasn't. Some white smoke at the tail pipe and water drips" can't remember what it was like before I started noticing. Oil level stays the same, loses some between oil changes. So long story short I have yet to rule out anything. The wife loves the car, that's why I care. I'd put a new long block in if I had to. I've thought about adding an auxiliary fan to the front of the car, but I'd like to see the problem with the oem stuff fixed
Old 08 Apr 2016, 07:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy_Cruiser View Post

...if it was me, I'd do a chemical test on the coolant to check for combustion gas.
Well I'll be! I had no idea that could be done. Thanks for mentioning this.

What a great forum!

RVC

2002 2.4L Woody Normally aspirated
Purchased 2/29/16 w/ 104,048 miles