PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Why I should check my oil regularly. Typical leak locations?

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2016, 10:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Why I should check my oil regularly. Typical leak locations?

So the other day I come to a stop sign, and my oil light turns on for a few seconds then turns off. I figured 'well, probably low and oil is moving around from the momentum of the stop. I'll check it when I get home.' So I get home and pull out the dipstick. It was completely bone dry. I mean, I had no oil spots in any of my parking locations, so I was fairly confused at this point.

After dumping in a quart of oil, I had a very small amount on the tip of the dip stick. In total, it was 3 quarts low. I ran it through with some cleaner for a while, to get out any internal gunk from it running so low, then drained and refilled the entire engine oil (including a new mopar filter).

So far it seems to be running fine, and the level seems to be sticking, but does anyone else have any similar experiences? I'm wondering if I could have a leaky camshaft seal. Underneath the pan, I didn't see a bunch of oil down the passenger side, but instead, tons of sludge seemed to come around the side of the passenger side from above the oil pan location, but not near the crankshaft (so probably not a crank seal).

I included a picture of after adding one quart. Not going to lie, I feel lucky I caught it before it blew something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160403_103233.jpg (86.2 KB, 32 views)
Old 10 Apr 2016, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Why I should check my oil regularly. Typical leak locations?

If you can't see a leak, two things could be happening. A small amount at a time is getting into the combustion chamber through a crack in the head gasket and being burned. Not enough to cause smoke to be seen out of the tail pipe or a small bit of oil could be leaking in or around the exhaust manifold and burning away. My thought anyway.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

After running you car for while, put a big sheet of cardboard under the car and look at it after an hour or so to look for oil drips.
Is your air filter oily? Could be bad PCV - cheap and easy to replace.
How long since oil was at full mark?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Apr 2016, 10:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Although you are not installing Performance parts much of this information about basic engine checking while common sense we sometimes don't always think about when small problem like oil consumption happens.

Adding Perfromance PT CRUISER parts

PT problems read this FIRST

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Apr 2016, 12:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
So the other day I come to a stop sign, and my oil light turns on for a few seconds then turns off. I figured 'well, probably low and oil is moving around from the momentum of the stop. I'll check it when I get home.' So I get home and pull out the dipstick. It was completely bone dry. I mean, I had no oil spots in any of my parking locations, so I was fairly confused at this point.

After dumping in a quart of oil, I had a very small amount on the tip of the dip stick. In total, it was 3 quarts low. I ran it through with some cleaner for a while, to get out any internal gunk from it running so low, then drained and refilled the entire engine oil (including a new mopar filter).

So far it seems to be running fine, and the level seems to be sticking, but does anyone else have any similar experiences? I'm wondering if I could have a leaky camshaft seal. Underneath the pan, I didn't see a bunch of oil down the passenger side, but instead, tons of sludge seemed to come around the side of the passenger side from above the oil pan location, but not near the crankshaft (so probably not a crank seal).

I included a picture of after adding one quart. Not going to lie, I feel lucky I caught it before it blew something.
I would suggest you take the passenger side tire off and take the panel off inside the fender. This will help you find the oil leak. It can possibly come from a valve cover gasket leak, camshaft leak, etc.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 12:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
After running you car for while, put a big sheet of cardboard under the car and look at it after an hour or so to look for oil drips.
Is your air filter oily? Could be bad PCV - cheap and easy to replace.
How long since oil was at full mark?
I did the cardboard thing last week when I filled it, didn't see any dripping marks. How long was it since it was last at the full mark? That's an excellent question, my assumption would be, too long. I was busy a lot in the last few months and don't honestly think I changed it since last fall/early winter.

I don't see any leaks around the valve cover gasket, I did just replace that last year. :/
Old 10 Apr 2016, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash619 View Post
I did the cardboard thing last week when I filled it, didn't see any dripping marks. How long was it since it was last at the full mark? That's an excellent question, my assumption would be, too long. I was busy a lot in the last few months and don't honestly think I changed it since last fall/early winter.

I don't see any leaks around the valve cover gasket, I did just replace that last year. :/
Miles probably more important than time...
If car was sitting, THEN you put cardboard under, you likely won't get anything - you need to run car and put cardboard under right away to catch a leak - and it might not be leaking, just burning the oil.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Apr 2016, 01:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

While the cardboard works for coolant it does not work as well with finding oil leaks. The main reason is the engine in most cases is very dirty so even freshly leaking oil will get soaked up in the dirty engine and will take time before it reaches the ground. And then it will also travel like a river flows finding an easy path at first directed by gravity and then as it travels downward altered with with what gets in the way old oil and dirt.

To find an oil leak you really should thoroughly clean the engine with down first.

Another way is to look for the oil leak is at night or in the garage as dark as possible. Using a flash light will make pin point the "wet" fresh oil much easier then looking in an illuminated environment.

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 10 Apr 2016, 01:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroPT View Post

To find an oil leak you really should thoroughly clean the engine with down first.
Never tried that one. Did you mean Downy?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 01:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I didn't catch that....
it was suppose to say with "SIMPLE GREEN"

but your response was....

Dalai Lama
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN