PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Lost My Keys!!! Do I Have To Tow To Dealer???

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2016, 03:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Lost My Keys!!! Do I Have To Tow To Dealer???

My wife lost her keys to our 05 PT Cruiser years ago, and I just lost my last remaining Key and remote. It is the GRAY colored key with a black remote.

I called the nearest dealer (out of county) and they said I would have to tow it to them and then have the car reprogrammed. (They said that for the BLACK keys I could use a lock smith to cut a key and drive it to the dealership, but that GRAY keys require it to be reporgrammed at the dealership before I can drive it).

Is there anything less expensive? Or am I totally hosed?

I read something about an "automotive locksmith" who might be able to cut keys and get the remote programmed correctly. Is that possible? Or am I dreaming???

Please let me know the best (as in cheapest) thing possible.

(And no, I don't have ANY keys or remotes left.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Lost My Keys!!! Do I Have To Tow To Dealer???

This link below might give you some informaiton.

Lost key
Old 10 Apr 2016, 04:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you for the link, but that thread is ver confusing. It seems like the cost range is anywhere from $20 to $375 (plus towing fee).

Is there anyone who gas recently had the same experience (no keys left) and they were able to get it running for under $100 ???
Old 10 Apr 2016, 04:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

You either have to tow it to the dealer and let them program some new keys for you, which as you know, is very expensive, Or, have a locksmith come out and do his work to access the eeprom in the skim module to be able to read the SKIM code and then use his software or high end scanner, to program new keys.

The other alternative is to call, or, personally visit, the dealer and pay a fee to have them tell you the SKIM code. You will (should) be required to fax or show proof of ownership for the car before they will give you the code. I believe I paid $25US for this. At that point, any mechanic with a higher end scanner can connect to your car, enter the skim code, and program your replacement keys. My scanner can do this if the correct skim code is entered. This might be the only way to have it done for around $100 in total, unless you have a friend with a scanner that can do it for free thus requiring only the dealer fee to give you the code.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 05:02 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by myckee View Post
You either have to tow it to the dealer and let them program some new keys for you, which as you know, is very expensive, Or, have a locksmith come out and do his work to access the eeprom in the skim module to be able to read the SKIM code and then use his software or high end scanner, to program new keys.

The other alternative is to call, or, personally visit, the dealer and pay a fee to have them tell you the SKIM code. You will (should) be required to fax or show proof of ownership for the car before they will give you the code. I believe I paid $25US for this. At that point, any mechanic with a higher end scanner can connect to your car, enter the skim code, and program your replacement keys. My scanner can do this if the correct skim code is entered. This might be the only way to have it done for around $100 in total, unless you have a friend with a scanner that can do it for free thus requiring only the dealer fee to give you the code.
What scanner do you have?
Old 10 Apr 2016, 05:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

There is one other option too, but requires removing the cars ecu, skim module, and lock cylinder, and replacing them with a replacement matched set of ecu, skim module and key+lock cylinder. You can often find these sets on ebay for less than $150. You will need to have an unprogrammed key cut at the dealer, from your vin, to be able to remove the old lock cylinder without damaging the car

This will not allow you to unlock your doors though. Then you could cut open the dealer key you bought and remove the chip. Then cut open the key from the ecu+key+skim set you bought, and stick it inside the dealer key. Now you can use the original lock cylinder again and be able to open the doors of the car.

The end result is not going to be $100 but still might be less than the $375 someone else quoted from going to the dealer and getting everything done all at once.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 05:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruisersteve View Post
What scanner do you have?
I have an Autel Maxidas DS708. I needed a way to be able to change the VIN on used ecu's and this one can do that, as well as a ton of other stuff, like programming keys etc.
Old 10 Apr 2016, 08:17 pm
Young Cruiser

I just checked with my local dealer a month ago on the replacement cost of the grey key (I have an '01).

$65 per key (cut), plus $55 programming no matter how many keys.

So, for two keys, $185.

Towing, maybe $40? Call around, the towing rate is really cheap if you call them.

Or call some locksmiths, some may be able to make the chipped key.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 10:06 am
Regular Cruiser

So far, the only locksmith I have heard back from wants $375!!!

Haven't heard back from the dealer. There is a new dealer in our county (we didn't have one for about 7 years).

Their SALES department gets 5 stars on yelp.

Their SERVICE department gets only 1 star reviews on yelp.

I am scared.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 11:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Update: Got two programmed keys for $240

Well, I got two programmed keys and the total was ONLY $240.

And even though I am NOTORIOUSLY cheap, I would have given him a tip if I had any extra cash on me (I only took out $240 from the ATM so that I wouldn't get into trouble).

I was calling around to different places and it was bad news all around. "No, I don't do Chryslers," or "I do Chryslers but they are $375."

Best was when I called the local dealer and it was apparent that the person working there had NO IDEA what the cost would be, nor whether I could read the VIN to him or whether it had to be towed to the dealer, nor whether they even had the keys in stock.

"Can't you transfer me to the parts department?" I asked. "I'm not really sure what there extension is."

After giving up on the dealership, I called more local locksmiths, and they all kept saying the same thing: "You got to to talk to Jesus."

So Jesus showed up at 7:15 and by 9:00 pm I had two new programmed keys, and a third key for unlocking the doors only (no chip. He said NEVER put it in the ignition or you are hosed).

So I talked to Jesus and he said that the 2005 were a weird year and that there was a crossover period when they were still using 2004 electronics in the 2005 model.

He said that I could order a third key and do the programming myself now that I had two programmed keys, but he said to make sure to get the right key.

So this was a lot less expensive than what I thought it was going to be.

Anyway, moral of the story: Jesus Saves!

Admit it: You knew that was coming