Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Crank No start.. Possible ground issue?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2016, 11:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Crank No start.. Possible ground issue?

2001 5 speed Cruiser w/ 110,000 miles.

Was running great and then one day decided not to start so i figured I was low on gas and added a few gallons and still no start. I am getting spark and fuel. I changed the following parts:

-Cam sensor(twice with two different brands)
-Crank sensor(twice with two different brands)
-Computer(got it programmed to the car)
-Fuel Pump

The car still won't start so it can't be these parts at fault. I took these all back and bought another car because I commute to school.

A guy at work has two 1st gen Pt Cruisers and said he had the same problem. He sunk over 3 grand into it at a dealer and then took it to a small shop and they said they found a ground wire that grounds the harness to the frame was corroded and broken. They replaced it and it ran perfectly fine after that. He said they told him it was a pain to get at because its tucked up under everything and they had to remove all the plastic covers to do it.. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any help is appreciated.

-Devin
Old 10 Apr 2016, 11:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Crank No start.. Possible ground issue?

Is the engine light on? If so what are the engine trouble codes?
Old 11 Apr 2016, 02:06 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986b2000 View Post

Was running great and then one day decided not to start so i figured I was low on gas and added a few gallons and still no start. I am getting spark and fuel. I changed the following parts:

-Fuel Pump

The car still won't start so it can't be these parts at fault. I took these all back and bought another car because I commute to school.

A guy at work has two 1st gen Pt Cruisers and said he had the same problem. He sunk over 3 grand into it at a dealer and then took it to a small shop and they said they found a ground wire that grounds the harness to the frame was corroded and broken. They replaced it and it ran perfectly fine after that. He said they told him it was a pain to get at because its tucked up under everything and they had to remove all the plastic covers to do it.. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any help is appreciated.

-Devin
01? Check wires between passenger side axle and engine, if not secured could rub on axle and break causing no start.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 13 Apr 2016, 11:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I checked the harness where you said and it looks fine and no no codes. Thats why I want to look into this ground wire. No clue where to start looking though
Old 13 Apr 2016, 11:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:

-Fuel Pump

-Devin
Lets start at the beginning again.

What fuel pressure are you getting?

How are you checking for spark? Are all cylinders getting spark? How do you know you are getting a strong spark?
Old 14 Apr 2016, 01:44 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:

-Fuel Pump

-Devin
Since you changed the ECM you removed any possible codes stored.
110,000 miles? Has the timing belt-water pump-tensioner been replaced?
If not you need to confirm the belt is not broken.
Remove the cam sensor and watch the magnet on the end of the cam to make sure it is rotating while your best friend tries to start the car.
70 340 4spd Dart Swinger "Those were the days my friend"
73 Charger SE
Had a few Vetts on the way 69, 85
Several Neons some flips
01 Sebring flip
Cruiser's 01, 220K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 03 133K Gone to a new home
Cruiser 06 110K Project Gone to new Home
Cruiser 05 Ltd 120,809 bought with broken belt Oct2015
May 16 Resurrected to once again roam the streets.

20 Miles South Of Pittsburgh
Old 14 Apr 2016, 09:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

There weren't any codes to begin with on the first computer other than the battery was disconnected and fuel pump. I changed the fuel pump because the pressure at the schrader valve was visually weak so. After replacing the pump the pressure is much better and the code didn't pop back up. I am getting spark on 1 and 4 because i checked with the plugs and yes it is strong. I don't think it is a fuel delivery problem because the plugs are getting gas on them and if i try carb cleaner in the intake it won't try to start.

For the timing belt-- yes I previously checked by pulling cam sensor and it is turning. To my knowledge the tensioner and belt haven't been changed. I've only had the car for 5,000 miles.

I researched for hours on the forums and asked several experienced mechanics and they are at a wits end too. I have no clue what else to try. The only thing I can think of is the ground wire a co worker was talking about. Only because he said he went through the exact same problem as me and that was what fixed his
Old 14 Apr 2016, 01:34 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Disconnect the cam sensor, dry the frigging plugs and try a 2 second shot of starting fluid, NOT carb cleaner, in the intake hose. If you've got dry plugs that are firing and good compression along with the ether, it'll at least run for a few seconds. Sounds to me like you've drowned the plugs.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.