Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Door locks ghost in the machine.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Apr 2016, 11:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Door locks ghost in the machine.

Bought a 2001 PT Cruiser Touring a month ago and have a ghost in the machine. I've read most threads about this issue. I'm pretty sure the first thing I need to try is replacing the door lock cylinder switch.

-When I use the key FOB(or lock switch in the door panel) all locks will work except for the front driver's side. I can only lock/unlock it manually. I'm hoping everything else is related to this.

Also:
-Doors lock/unlock by themselves while driving or while the car is off. Hasn't happened in a while, but totally unpredictable
-Alarm goes off sometimes when I manually unlock the driver's side door
-I get a loud grinding or raspberry noise from inside the panels of my rear two doors. It's also unpredictable. Sometime I hear it going crazy outside of my window on and off for a few minutes, then silent for hours.

I'm assuming this is not something I can find at a local autoparts store. I was searching around this site, but am a little confused.

2001 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER 2.4L 4 CYL DOHC 16V SMPI, 4-SPD. AUTOMATIC,41TE Switches, Body

I see one part called "SWITCH. Door Lock." but that looks more like the RKE to me.

I'm thinking this is what I need(number 8): "SWITCH. Security Alarm.
SWITCH. Security Alarm. . "LOCKS - POWER AUTO CENT"Radio - AM/FM" LOCKING". Required: 002"

Is this the part I need when people are referring to the "door lock cylinder switch?"

Any other suggestions on anything else I should try?
Old 13 Apr 2016, 12:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Door locks ghost in the machine.

Check for broken or grounded wires running from the switch to the body of the car. A friend of mine had a few broken wires in the pack of wires running in between the door and the car body. He had the same problems.
As for the door loks unlocking and locking them selves the rke module could be defective.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.

Last edited by chigger_ns; 13 Apr 2016 at 12:22 pm.