PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PTC Limited feedback wanted

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Apr 2016, 02:01 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default 04 PTC Limited feedback wanted

I'm still on the hunt for My pt cruiser....

Well this one is local and parked on the street
I like it.......... but would like some feedback

04 (Cream?) Limited turbo auto 125,000 205-55-16 tires
Has chrome package with the GT pedals
knob and steering wheel
aftermarket radio(loose)
non leather inside is clean
windsheild has no cracks..
non disk in the rear

Outside drivers rear qrtr looks like a Repaint
has dents in front fender,drivers door,hatch and rocker on passenger side
feels like needs struts driver front and rear.
Rough idle feel not all the time

asked owner( small young lady)
how long owned answer [Year]....
(boyfriend had a couple yr old Charger)
asked about T-Belt boyfriend says replaced Idler and T-belt
and new Brakes (pollbably just the pads)
oil looks like it had just been changed.

Ask about water pump they says the previous owner had replaced
(no documentation)
asked about price FIRM.! $2500
I pulled a P0303 code
it had less then a qrtr tnk of gas
would like to know what you think.? ...thanks ......W

Old 11 Apr 2016, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PTC Limited feedback wanted

I thought all the Turbo models had something on the back tailgate to identify that it was turbocharged? One of the owners could have taken it off, I guess...and it says TOURING EDITION, not LIMITED. Still, if it runs good, and the timing belt and (water pump) were changed, sounds like a fair price

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Apr 2016 at 02:20 pm.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yep,

Rear hatch is suspect. May have been replaced or repaired during earlier body work. Here's the VIN breakdown:

ModelYear: Model Year 2004
Make: Manufactured by DaimlerChrysler De Mexico
Manufacturer: Chrysler
Division: Multipurpose Pass Vehicle With Side Air Bags "CGS"
CarLineCode: 4001-5000#(1815-2267 kg) GVWR & Hyd. Brake
CarLineSeries: PT Cruiser
BodyType: PT Cruiser Touring(U.S., Canada)
RestraintSystem: Hatchback (PT Cruiser)
EngineCode: 2.4L I4 CYL DOHC 16V Turbo (EDT)
CheckDigit: Check Digit
PlantCode: Toluca Assembly Plant(Toluca, Mexico)
BuildDate: 2004430

So it is a Touring Edition with a turbo engine.

If it was me, I'd pass if the body is rough. That's very expensive to fix if you cannot do the bodywork yourself. You should be able to find another like this with a cleaner body for that price.

Last edited by Handy_Cruiser; 11 Apr 2016 at 02:35 pm.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 02:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

So, previous owner supposedly replaced water pump, but this owner's boyfriend supposedly replaced timing belt and idler?
That makes no sense.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Apr 2016, 03:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
So, previous owner supposedly replaced water pump, but this owner's boyfriend supposedly replaced timing belt and idler?
That makes no sense.
+1
That was going to be my comment. All that stuff should be swapped together.

Also, I speak from cruel experience when I say that those misfire codes can be troublesome to fix. I am 4+ months and 5,000+ miles into my P0304. P0303 is #3, and that one is hidden under the intake, so it is not a 20 second job to swap the plug and wire. If you are lucky that is all it is. I am not lucky.

Body looks pretty clean and it looks lowered. I wouldn't pay $2,500, but that is mainly because I steadfastly refuse to pay the asking price for any used car.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 03:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I am not sure if you really expect to get the answers you want..here on the forum because so far I am pretty sure no member responding lives in the same state you do.

You should be considering finding a trusted and experienced friend in vehicles repair and upkeep that will go with you to look at the PT. Or invest 50 bucks and find a good shop in your area that will give you a bumper to bumper inspection. If you tell me what part of WA I may be able to recommend one?

The PT Cruiser was built to have a serviceable life of 10 years and 100k miles. That's it. After that there is NO set rule for replacing any specific part or parts and realistically there are way to really state parts should be replaced because of age or miles there are to many variables to effectively be able to do this.

I.e. the timing belt is feared and one of the most recommended parts to replace at or near the 100k miles. Yet we have many members and I have worked on several PT Cruiser the at 150k-over 200k with the original timong components parts?

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 11 Apr 2016, 03:58 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

That rear hatch really looks like its been replaced or poorly repainted. Different years had different whites. That full length right rocker damage'll be big bucks to fix. I think I saw a big tear in the drivers seat in the one photo. Uck!

You don't just "replace the water pump". The difficulty of access demands it all be done in one felled swoop including timing belt, water pump, idler and tensioner. What they've told you sounds a bit iffy! Sort of a "boyfriend fairy tale"!

I'd say pass unless your willing to pay those big buck for a lot of body work and other unknowns. The 30303 code, bad struts, obvious needed body work, and stuff you haven't even spotted would make me leery!

In closing, I'd say it's not anywhere near worth the asking price. You can find a much nicer PT for the same price. Come back at them with $900 or $1000. They won't get that much at auction. See if they call you back in a week when they're desperate. Even at that price it might be a headache!

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 08:21 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

yes touring sorry for that I will admit most of what I learned fabout PTC i gather from this site
the rear hatch is suspect also the Left rear qrtr different shade of white
(doesn't really show in the photo)
the owner was not easy to communicate with I don't want to sound races
I'll just say her English was very broken so V tried to communicate with the "Boy friend". sound to me she still owes on the car and wants out....
The rip in the seat.....
was from the reflection in the window

The dings were livable with..
I'm not looking for a show car this will be my DD and as such will spend a lot of time in a park and ride that's not level.

reading on the broad I learned how to retrieve the Code's
and did read about the "P0303 &P0304 codes ( don't know if it was from your post Fk5).?
but know they are #3 cylinder related and not an easy fix.

personally feel if I'm going to shell out 4G for a 11 yr old used car I don't want high mileage or
do a major service Like a Head or T-Belt I would like one that is presentable and runs well

I don't pay full asking price for any car unless it is very special
but she wasn't interested in any offer.

I live in a small Island serviced by two car ferries (pop 9500)
these car don't seem to stay in the market place for long Don't know why.?
This is the third car I have looked at in my community
last one was 02 base dings all over one owner 85,000 $3200 gone 1 week
even one that was total from a tree for $1200
stay on the market for 3 weeks
I have looked at a few others in Tacoma Wa but it seems there either really trashed or over priced
Thanks again for the feedback
Stiil looking for my PTC
......W
ptprice likes this.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 11:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

2004 touring been bery bery good to me. I had 304 code soon after acquiring, but after a couple of episodes and resets I changed the cam sensor, and its been trouble free ever since.

If that one really did have a timing belt done, there should be a little sticker placed in the engine compartment. Mine was there but the mileage was faded ( eventually I tracked the service record down at a dealer in a nearby city, and got the numbers). That white car looks OK in the distant pics, but I'd seriously want to check it for rust before putting $2500 into it...
Old 12 Apr 2016, 05:19 am
Dedicated Cruiser

As far as the body goes, a simple, weak, three for a dollar, refrigerator magnet'll tell you a lot of the secrets of what goin' on under the paint.

If the magnet doesn't stick at a suspected spot, it's 'cause it's spaced too far from the metal to hold. "El Bondo". This visual check can really drive the asking price down as it's always an eye opener! The magnet doesn't lie.

Bondo shouldn't be anything but a skim coat to true a surface, not a means to short cut a repair. Watch an OVERHAULIN' show if you don't know what I mean.

The refrigerator magnet is just as good a body indicator as a high priced tester. That trick has saved me lots of used car headaches, ' cause you never know whats under the Bondo. "Rust"?

The miss matched paint is another red flag. Most good body shops now do a perfect color match on the paint. Good luck.

Can you access an online auto listing service that would expand your search for a PT? A reasonable drive to another local might save you a bunch of headaches. In used cars, unfortunately some times there's problem or two the seller hopes you don't spot. It's truly a case of let the buyer beware. Good luck.

Happy PTin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 12 Apr 2016 at 05:51 am. Reason: addition