PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
p0420 code, trouble starting, low coolant and need transmission flush - Sell or Keep?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Apr 2016, 04:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default p0420 code, trouble starting, low coolant and need transmission flush - Sell or Keep?

I got a P0420 check engine code yesterday. I read a link you suggested here: Diagnose P0420 Catalytic Converter Code

I can see its all about fuel/air mixture and this error just came about 2 days after I put in a K&N drop-in filter. Do you think I should stick with the regular paper filters?

2006 pt cruiser base model.

Looks like a good first test to remove any false/positives... would be to reset the code. Would that be done at Autozone with their OBD-II computer reader things? Or should I take the negative off the terminal for a while?

2006 with 97K miles. Timing belt never has been replaced.

LIST OF ISSUES WITH THE CAR AND SUMMARY AT END

2. 2nd issue would be trouble starting sometimes. All lights flash and gauges drop to zero while on the highway. I ended up buying an ignition Switch Actuator.. Hopefully this will cure the poor start.

3. Need transmission flush. Never done at 60k.. car is now at 97K

4. Need coolant flush - Performed once at 40k - Coolant is now near empty.

5. Need timing belt /water pump replace

6. May need engine mounts replaced... when I changed my oil... it looks like the lower mount is cracked. Has anybody seen the solid mounts? Any recommendations? I believe this should be done at the same time as the timing belt?

7. Suspension is old. I believe I need to replace control arms, tie rod ends, bushings, and end links all around. In addition to new struts/shocks/lowering springs.

8. New catalytic converter needed now? I'm in California and I see new ones at around $600 plus install...

I'm looking at around a $3,000 - $4,000 bill to keep this car in tip top shape.

What would you recommend? Keep the car and fix it? Or buy a slightly used car with 40k miles?

First off... I need to find the true cause of the p0420 code... is it the K&N Filter? I'll be going to a smog test only spot to see if they can help out.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 01:18 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: p0420 code, trouble starting, low coolant and need transmission flush - Sell or K

Check engine light went away on its own..

Maybe it was a false positive from the new k&n filter.

Time to keep the car then.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 01:25 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: p0420 code, trouble starting, low coolant and need transmission flush - Sell or K

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfred View Post
I4. Need coolant flush - Performed once at 40k - Coolant is now near empty.
What?!?!

Is that a typo? If the coolant is really near empty, fill it before you go anywhere. Even just straight water will do short term..
Old 15 Apr 2016, 04:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fk5 View Post
What?!?!

Is that a typo? If the coolant is really near empty, fill it before you go anywhere. Even just straight water will do short term..
The label on top says to make sure you only use a specific type of fluid... I'll be doing all of the work in early May (Dealership) Now that I found out that the P0420 code went away on its own.

What damage can I expect to see from no coolant?

I could add either water or whatever specific coolant is needed...
Old 15 Apr 2016, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyfred View Post
What damage can I expect to see from no coolant?

Even slightly low coolant could cause overheating because the boiling temperature is lowered significantly. No coolant can easily cause severe damage to internal engine parts. Keep a close eye on the temperature gauge as you drive.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.