Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By rsrocket1
  • 3 Post By rsrocket1
  • 1 Post By red98gt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Apr 2016, 01:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default How to get rid of vibration - engine mounts - Mopar vs. Solid

Do I need only upper and lower engine mounts?

I see there is a specific was to install so I'm thinking of letting the dealer or my alignment guy install this for me.

Are the solid mounts much firmer? Are the solid mounts difficult to install just like the regular mounts? (Must be installed in a particular way... To make sure alignment is right)
Old 15 Apr 2016, 02:57 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: How to get rid of vibration - engine mounts - Mopar vs. Solid

Fred,
If you know how to replace the front disc break pads, this is no more difficult.

The upper and lower torque strut mounts are really easy to swap out. You will spend more time removing all the fasteners on the wheel well splash cover than you will in swapping out the mounts. Now that I know what measurement to use for the alignment, that is easy too. With the bolts loose, and a floor jack under the correct spot on the engine, you slightly raise it or lower it until the proper distance is measured. Then you tighten the bolts to 85 ft-lbs and reattach the splash guard in the wheel well.

NitroPT told me, and it's true that with broken mounts, the engine will be "floating" and the car will "seem to be smoother". With intact engine struts, the engine will transfer more vibration to the frame and you will feel it at idle. You will also feel a much "tighter" coupling between the engine and the car as you accelerate.

Watch this at 0:44 to see what broken mounts look like on the engine:
forget the rest of the video, it's pretty annoying
https://youtu.be/XtIL7HGJ-Xg

Be sure you are comfortable and competent with fixing mechanical parts on a car before you attempt this.
ptprice likes this.

Last edited by rsrocket1; 15 Apr 2016 at 03:50 pm.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 03:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
Fred,
If you know how to replace the front disc break pads, this is no more difficult.

The upper and lower torque strut mounts are really easy to swap out. You will spend more time removing all the fasteners on the wheel well splash cover than you will in swapping out the mounts. Now that I know what measurement to use for the alignment, that is easy too. With the bolts loose, and a floor jack under the correct spot on the engine, you slightly raise it or lower it until the proper distance is measured. Then you tighten the bolts to 85 ft-lbs and reattach the splash guard in the wheel well.

NitroPT told me, and it's true that with broken mounts, the engine will be "floating" and the car will "seem to be smoother". With intact engine struts, the engine will transfer more vibration to the frame and you will feel it at idle. You will also feel a much "tighter" coupling between the engine and the car as you accelerate.

Watch this at 0:44 to see what broken mounts look like on the engine:
forget the rest of the video, it's pretty annoying
https://youtu.be/XtIL7HGJ-Xg

Be sure you are comfortable and competent with fixing mechanical parts on a car before you attempt this.
What is the "right measurement"?

"What" is it that I am measuring? Distance between engine and the mount? Will I need a caliper of sorts or can I get by with a tape measurer?
Old 15 Apr 2016, 06:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

119mm from the center of the rear bolt on the front half of the top strut to the first hole on the mounting bracket.

second picture down as seen from the top of the engine compartment

I used a cheap plastic ruler that has inches and centimeters on it (with mm markers) and cut it in half so that it is easier to maneuver.

The floor jack is in addition to the 2 jack supports used to hold the car up. It's pressing gently on the engine to get the distance set properly.
Old 26 Apr 2016, 03:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Wow, Thanks VERY much for the info and pics. Now I feel more comfortable in doing the job.
Handy_Cruiser likes this.