Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Should I replace the tranny?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Apr 2016, 01:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Should I replace the tranny?

I finally picked up a second PT for my wife, a 2003 automatic with 114k miles. It had been sitting around for a while before the owner decided to sell it and was pretty dirty but otherwise ran okay except for a high rev going from 1st to 2nd (over 3000) and 2nd to 3rd (4000). The price of the car was lower than average, so I took a gamble that I could deal with the high revs and bought it.

I drained the tranny fluid and replaced the filter. The fluid wasn't burnt but there were more shavings on the magnet than I would have liked. No excess metal in the pan otherwise. Given the magnet bloom though, I'm thinking the tranny is not up to snuff and wondering if I should have it worked on or just replaced with a cheap used one? I already have to do a water pump/timing belt job (I just discovered the pump is leaking) so I have to solve the tranny issue for the lowest cost I can.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 02:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Should I replace the tranny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
I finally picked up a second PT for my wife, a 2003 automatic with 114k miles. It had been sitting around for a while before the owner decided to sell it and was pretty dirty but otherwise ran okay except for a high rev going from 1st to 2nd (over 3000) and 2nd to 3rd (4000). The price of the car was lower than average, so I took a gamble that I could deal with the high revs and bought it.

I drained the tranny fluid and replaced the filter. The fluid wasn't burnt but there were more shavings on the magnet than I would have liked. No excess metal in the pan otherwise. Given the magnet bloom though, I'm thinking the tranny is not up to snuff and wondering if I should have it worked on or just replaced with a cheap used one? I already have to do a water pump/timing belt job (I just discovered the pump is leaking) so I have to solve the tranny issue for the lowest cost I can.
Is your engine light on?
If so what are the engine trouble codes?
Old 16 Apr 2016, 02:37 pm
Cool Cruiser

No light and I'm not pulling any codes (the first thing I checked).
Old 16 Apr 2016, 03:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Before I would consider internal damage in the transmission I would check everything else that might cause your issue.

I would try unplugging all the plugs going into the PCM and see if you have moisture from sitting for several months or oil on the female plugs coming from the oil pressure sensor that might be causing your issue.

Also I would take the battery out, remove the battery support plate and see if the transmission wires are damaged from the battery acid over the years.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 16 Apr 2016 at 04:01 pm.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 04:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Thanks, I'll do that. The oil pressure switch was bad (leaking) and the connection on it had the wire pulled out so I already fixed both of those. I wasn't sure what to look for after changing the fluid/filter and examining the pan.

I do know that the shifts feel more like they're in the normal range after it's been running for a bit and the higher gears seem to have normal rpms regardless.

I'll update with what I find after I follow your suggestions. Thanks.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 04:49 pm
Cool Cruiser

I pulled the plugs at the PCM but they seem fine.

I took out the battery plate and the plugs below don't look corroded. Everything down there is kind of covered in a mixture of oil and dirt, but no obvious corrosion, cut wires, or disconnections.

I should also add that the shift occurs normally if I left off the gas before the higher rpms. It's just the automatic shifting that seems to need to peak high.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 05:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I'll bet the valve body has a little varnish build up in it from sitting. Just drive it for a couple of weeks and I'll bet you that the shifts improve. The fluid you used was ATF+4, right? If not, then you're living on borrowed time.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 16 Apr 2016, 05:23 pm
Cool Cruiser

I always ATF+4, having had nothing but Chryslers for the past 20 years. Can't say if that what the previous owners used though of course.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 06:49 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'd just drive it a few days and see if there's improvement.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 08:20 am
Young Cruiser

Thats going to cost you more than the price of the car.