PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rough idle when A/C on, blow warm air...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Apr 2016, 08:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Rough idle when A/C on, blow warm air...

The car idle roughly when the AC is on, and it only blows warm air.
The AC works properly when car is running on normal speed.

I just checked the fan, it seems that the low speed fan does not work when the car is cold and ac is on, the high speed is fine, so the car does not over heat.

Is this fan problem the reason for the rough idle and ac issue?
are there some other possible reasons?

I remember some one said instead of replacing a new fan, it can be hardwired to run the high speed only? is that easy to do? any instruction?

Thanks.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 08:34 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Rough idle when A/C on, blow warm air...

Is it possible a bad relay?

I saw there tow relays on the fan?
Old 17 Apr 2016, 08:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Having the low speed part of the fan burn out is a known problem with the PT's. The fan can easily be replaced in about 1 1/2 hours with simple tools. You can pick one up in any decent auto store for under $100 with a lifetime warranty. The relay on the fan itself is vary rarely the problem.

Yes, you can hardwire the high speed fan to come on and stay on all the time or put it on a switch so you can turn it on when the A/C is on but why not fix the problem the right way.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 08:57 pm
Young Cruiser

thanks, CREWZIN

The fan was replaced by previous owner at dealer, unbelievable it only last 4 years.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 09:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Taking a close look at the brushes inside the motor, you can see two of them (for the low speed) very short and burnt out so they couldn't reach the armature in the middle causing the low speed not to come on. if you really handy, you can replace the brushes an have the fan working again.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Apr 2016 at 07:21 am.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 11:07 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Several Youtube videos showing how easy it is to replace the fan. I replaced my fan yesterday with a Dorman fan which cost $83 + shipping from Rock Auto. Very easy to replace if you're handy with a wrench. You can use a drill with a 3/8" socket adapter to remove the bolts holding the upper grille, radiator frame and brace in short order. The "Torx" looking bolts holding the fan frame to the radiator are also hex bolts and a standard 10mm socket will take them off. I knew that the line between the relay contact and the fan was not making a path to ground so I was hoping maybe there was a fusable link that prevented the power from getting to the brushes, but that was not the case. The brushes were likely toast.

Unfortunately, the relays are different from what they illustrate and different from the OEM setup:

New fan installed, worked perfectly

I'm keeping the old fan and may get some replacement brushes to fix it and have it ready and waiting when this fan goes out.