Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2005 Turbo CVT issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2016, 10:55 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2005 Turbo CVT issues

We purchased a 2005 Turbo convertible with the CVT transmission about 9 months ago (July 2015). The car has only 20K (original) miles on it and we love it. Recently the check engine light came on and we at first assumed it was lit for the mileage maintenance. Shortly after that the car started sporadically slipping back into a lower gear when driving at 45 mph and above. The first thing we did was check the trans fluid and the levels were fine. We've ordered the OBDII tool to determine if it's the transmission control module. In the meantime, we've been looking around for a module in the event that's what we need. I'm having a heck of a time finding one. I've read that some people are buying them from junkyards. Any recommendations or input on finding a module and/or doing the repair ourselves?
Old 20 Apr 2016, 03:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: 2005 Turbo CVT issues

Ehhhh, I don't think you have a CVT transmission in that PT. As far as I know, Chrysler didn't start using the CVT until 2007 and it's not been a great success story for them. You may just want to check the plug to the transmission shift solenoid pack. Perhaps it needs a good cleaning or is just loose. The solenoid pack itself could need replacing. If you're not sure what you're doing, then download a manual or wait for someone else to respond. It sounds to me like it's going into "limp" mode. Maybe you just need to change the fluid and filter. It must have sat a lot to have such low mileage on it. Mopar ATF+4 fluid is the ONLY fluid you need to put in it. Otherwise, you'll kill it for sure. I'd do a fluid and filter change after checking the solenoid pack and plug first.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.

Tags
2005 turbo, cvt transmission, tcm