• 1 Post By ptprice
  • 2 Post By rcktpwrd
  • 2 Post By Handy_Cruiser
  • 1 Post By rcktpwrd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Apr 2016, 05:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Confessions of a MFS junkie

In the latter part of March I posted a thread declaring victory over SOOO BIG's dreaded dysfunctioning MFS after I'd torn it all apart and "fixed it".

I was very disappointed when not 24 hours later, sitting at my computer, I looked out the window and noticed SOOO BIG's fog lights were on and the left one had burned out! Thinking I'd left the "fixed" MFS in the fog light on position I trundled out, open the drivers door and discovered to my dismay that the MFS was in the neutral position. I pulled the fog light fuse to defeat the circuit. the low beams also stopped functioning! Something was truly amiss! The flushulungener MFS had let me down!

I put out a message to Bubba_1952 as to if he had a MFS he could spare. I also swore him to secrecy as I didn't want it bantered around the Forum that I'd screwed the pooch on the MFS "fix".

Finally that waited for day arrived and Bubba's MFS arrived. I almost ceremoniously installed it, positioned it in neutral and reinstalled the fog light fuse. There on the dash was the hoped for fog light icon but the fershulungener MFS was still in neutral.

Apparently Bubba's MFS suffered from that same MFSdysfunctionitice as my original one. The common denominator seems to be in the stock of the MFS that controls all the lights and not in the guts where the spring loaded contacts and the greased slides reside. As I've seen no "how to's" for removing or repairing the stock itself I'm appealing to the vast intelligence of the Forum for advise. At least now I have two MFSs to operate on. If have to shell out for a new one, break it to me gently. SOOO BIG and I can take it!

Here's a real big THANK YOU to Bubba.

Thanks.

Happy Ptin', ptprice

different MFS 003.jpg

different MFS 004.jpg
Handy_Cruiser likes this.
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 20 Apr 2016 at 06:56 pm. Reason: addition
Old 20 Apr 2016, 07:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Confessions of a MFS junkie

I used the directions in a thread here on the forums to repair my switch whent he fog light s would come on on their own.

I found this one, which is basically what I did to fix mine, I used a piece of a soda can to wrap the worn plastic ramp.

MF switched repair

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 20 Apr 2016, 07:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

this link to PT Crew has a great write up on the repair of the switch:
PTCrew.com - View topic :: Repair/Replace your MultiFunction Switch (FOG LIGHT PROBLEM)

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 20 Apr 2016, 08:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Confessions of a MFS junkie

Hey, let's not forget the "Handy" fix for all this:

The "Handy" Aluminum Can Mod To Fix Fog Lights.
rcktpwrd and ptprice like this.
Old 21 Apr 2016, 07:24 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Confessions of a MFS junkie

Seek and ye shall find! Thanks Handy_Cruiser and rckpwrd. Your both a plethora of PT info

I thank you! Your a banquet of knowledge. I can only describe my enthusiasm for rippin' into that fershugugener MFS as, "Chomphin' at the bit'"!

Keep those sugestion comin' in. With just the back plate off can I access those white thingies? Or do I have to get to the dark,mysterious, inner chamber of the MFS to expose, remove and "fix" those un-virginal white parts? My memory doesn't serve me.

Relying on that memory of my first delve into the innards of an MFS I recall I'd figgered out how to take the back cover off the MFS by removing the little star screws, poppin' the plastic retaining clips and pryin' it off. Oh what a jungle of spring loaded contacts and greased copper slides I found. It all made sense though!

I remember trying to (without success) remove a secondary front cover to peek at the rest of the innards and thingies. That still baffles me. Is that possible or even necessary. Is removing the stalk that controls the lights possible and necessary to pursue the "fix"?

Just the musings of one who has a bit of short term memory loss.
That by no means is a great restriction, it's a wonderful excuse for life's small mistakes! I call it "old timers disease" By the ruminations I read on the Forum, I'm not the only one experiencing this malady.

Thanks,. Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by ptprice; 21 Apr 2016 at 09:00 am.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 04:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

ptprice, it's been a while back that I repaired my MFS so I don't recall all the details but the links provided cover every step very well!

Handy, I knew I saw your step by step on here I just couldn't find the link yesterday...
ptprice likes this.

www.rcktpwrd.com