Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By ptprice
  • 1 Post By rcktpwrd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Apr 2016, 12:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Further confessions of a MFS junkie

Taking Handy_Cruiser and rcktpwrd's advise I dug into the innards of one of the dysfunctioning MFSs today. Behold, the thingie they described is worn as they described. In other words, I've got a "worn thingie". It's only an 1 1/4" long.

Handy's solution was to wrap that worn area with soup can tin to re-shape it. That seems like a great solution but with my pre-palsey condition I don't think I have enough fine motor control to do that.

Conversely, I've considered filling the worn part with fast drying epoxy and then roto grinding it true. If anyone reading this thread deems that the epoxy fix"ll be good, IE, will the epoxy stick to this particular plastic? Please advise before I begin the odyssey. I realize the tin fix might not ever wear out but the epoxy should serve as well as the original plastic and essentially allow me to perfectly emulate the concave nature of that area of the thingie. Please advise.

Thanks. Happy Ptin', ptprice

Attached Images
File Type: jpg worn thingie 001.jpg (88.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg worn thingie 002.jpg (84.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg worn thingie 003.jpg (85.3 KB, 15 views)
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Apr 2016 at 05:39 pm. Reason: pictures are too big
Old 21 Apr 2016, 10:09 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Further confessions of a MFS junkie

Crewzin, thanks for the help on the photos.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 04:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Re: Further confessions of a MFS junkie

not sure that epoxy will stick or hold up well on that part... best bet is the strip of metal from a can.
Any chance you can get someone to help you cut and fold the metal strip?

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 22 Apr 2016, 05:32 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

rcktpwrd, I talked with J B Weld, the epoxy folks that make great epoxy products. They said they have a product called J B weld plastic Bonder. It works on Polyethylene and Polypropylene plastics where most other epoxies don't, like their standard J B weld products.

I've used their J B steel reinforced Quik Weld and their original J B Weld for 50 years from everything from reasonably adding material to a broken engine block or head to creating a lasting repair for a new thread base. It's good for re-configuring broken motor cycle parts too. I've actually reconfigured fins in motorcycle engines and an old Corvair engine by reattaching broken cylinder fins. It held up to the stress of heat and vibration. J B Weld's never let me down. I think for $7.99 I'm inclined to try to find this stuff and give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out. It sounds a lot easier and hopefully will yield a closer configuration to the original worn lift surface of the thingie.

If it does and the fershulugoner MFS starts working again, I'll truly be a card carryin' MFS junkie. I should have a lot of that stuff left over. If it doesn't work it's back to the drawing board or a new MFS when extra bucks allow it.

Definitely entirely too much time on my hands!

Happy Ptin', ptprice
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 07:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

rcktpwrd, I shopped AutoZone an hour ago and found the $7.99 plus tax, JB Plastic Weld two part epoxy. With my "I know the guy at the counter and my military discount the total came to $5.74 total. So I'm in business for a good, reasonable, hoped for, plastic "fix".

I do have a question relative to the thingie!

When I first removed the thingie I noticed what I thought was a mushroom end on the pin on the back. I logically thought that mushroom shape was old residue of dried brown lubricant on the end of the pin under that large round end part. I of course picked it off! In retrospect I'm thinkin', "I don't normally depend on logic 'cause I'm almost exclusively right minded, so maybe I picked off a necessary end part of that pin that's instrumental in the design of the thingie"???

Do you happen to remember if that pin end should look like it is now in the two attached clearer pictures??? (I finally after 10 years figgered out how to do up-close focusing with my camera) Or must I rebuild it to the "mushroom end" you can barely see in my one of my first old photos of the thingie??? One way or the other it's still doable!

Advise. Thanks.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thingie pin 001.jpg (88.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg thingie pin 002.jpg (83.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg worn thingie 003.jpg (85.3 KB, 6 views)
rcktpwrd likes this.

Last edited by ptprice; 23 Apr 2016 at 07:29 am. Reason: context
Old 24 Apr 2016, 06:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Honestly I have no idea on that... it's been way too long ago that I messed with MFS, sorry.

I would pop it back in there after repairing the damage and see if it stays in place or not.
ptprice likes this.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com