Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By WrenchnIswhatIdo
  • 2 Post By cruserdad1976

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Apr 2016, 02:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default What to look for in a used PT? 100,000 miles

I had a PT before and now I'm looking for another but a convertible.
All the cars I've seen in my price range have about 100,000 miles.
Aside from a timing belt(&seal- tensioner), ball joints, motor mounts, spark plugs, belts, and hoses...is there anything else I should be prepared to replace immediatley? Are there any known problem areas I should look out for?
I will visually inspect the tires and brakes and only change if needed.
The oil/filter, trans fluid/filter, will be changed right away too and I will pull the input and output sensors on the trans and clean them off.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 03:00 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: What to look for in a used PT? 100,000 miles

i would recommend peeking around for wiring that has been added over the years. sometimes people that own cars do strange things. people in PT's are definitely no exception and from what i have see in in person and even on here.. well:

when i got my car there was a powerstrip under the passenger seat, the cord ran under the center console to beneath the drivers seat. an extension cord ran from under the driver seat back to the rear cargo area. another cord ran to who knows where. there are 2 LED's mounted in the console for no reason. there was a printed label indicating maximum MPH for each gear stuck to the gauge bezel(sometimes it may be better not to know
why stuff is there). i've also found a failed attempt at installing aftermarket cruise control, complete with a magnet on the axle and more random wiring to nowhere. there were also two metal spikes pointing directly at my knee caps. i was told that they were for a KEYBOARD TRAY. i'd take a picture, but i have removed them prior to driving the car. i couldn't imagine they'd be good in an accident. some PT owners are STRANGE. my car had power strips, extension cords, and crimp on connectors hidden all over when i got it. i literally removed 50ft of weirdo-wiring. even though i removed all i saw, one day a 4th power outlet landed on my foot when i hit a bump. one day my lights went off leaving a liquor store, and this happened: can't see the road!

so have a good look under hood and under the dash be wary of any non factory wiring.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 03:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I tell everyone that comes to the forum looking to buy, to turn the car on, let it idle for at least 15 minutes with the A/C on high. The temp gauge should stay in the middle with a problem.
Jimmyess333 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 03:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

"some PT owners are STRANGE"
Yes, there seems to one PT camp that seems be in competition to see how many items, stickers, magnetic flames, lights, and other items from the accessory aisle of the local auto parts store they can stick on/in one car. To each their own but PT's in particular seem to attract this. I personally prefer stock or tastefully and convincing retro mods. Most likely I will stay stock and keep the car looking as new as possible. I like the look of the smoothies on a PT but in this Texas heat I want the brakes to breathe.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 04:35 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyess333 View Post
I had a PT before and now I'm looking for another but a convertible.
All the cars I've seen in my price range have about 100,000 miles.
Aside from a timing belt(&seal- tensioner), ball joints, motor mounts, spark plugs, belts, and hoses...is there anything else I should be prepared to replace immediatley? Are there any known problem areas I should look out for?
I will visually inspect the tires and brakes and only change if needed.
The oil/filter, trans fluid/filter, will be changed right away too and I will pull the input and output sensors on the trans and clean them off.
Hi jimmy how's mom.?
i'm kidding....
I'm in the same boat looking for a PTC in my price range they do have Milage
I was told right here on this board
the Pt Cruiser was made to last 10 years & 100,000 miles
I will let that sit there a minuet...........
That being said the "Geo metro set" have maintain there "Hooptie" to go will over 300,000 miles I personally was a member in that club back in the days of yor
I think a well maintained PTC should go at least 200,000+ miles

just two thing you should be added to you what to look for list
#1 struts a must on a 100,000+ PTC
#2 (and this is a biggy)
The Codes some codes are EZ to reset so be careful...
just because you can't see any codes with the Key trick does not mean there are non in the history
I wish you luck on your search as I too still looking for my car......W

Jimmyess333 likes this.
Old 22 Apr 2016, 04:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

someware they is a thread that is how many miles on your PT if you can find it and read it the 100,000 that nitro was talking about is kind of passed on by but like any thing if its maintained right and taked good care of id say 300,000 mine is a 06 non turbo with 178,000 1 timing belt several fans 1 set of wheel berings and a tranny but it starts and runs and everything works well except the wipers they are a little wacky they wont go off so I just removed them and try not to drive it on rainy days--lol
Old 29 Apr 2016, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

WrenchnIswhatIdo- I too was into Metros in the early 2000's (mine was Suzuki Swift). Before that it was slant six Darts and Valiants.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 02:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyess333 View Post
"some PT owners are STRANGE"
Yes, there seems to one PT camp that seems be in competition to see how many items, stickers, magnetic flames, lights, and other items from the accessory aisle of the local auto parts store they can stick on/in one car. To each their own but PT's in particular seem to attract this. I personally prefer stock or tastefully and convincing retro mods. Most likely I will stay stock and keep the car looking as new as possible. I like the look of the smoothies on a PT but in this Texas heat I want the brakes to breathe.
I used to call that "JC Whitneying" a car to death.