PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Did a bunch of maintenance today...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By rcktpwrd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Apr 2016, 08:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Cool Did a bunch of maintenance today...

Nothing terribly exciting, but took care of a few issues with the PT today.

I have had the ABS and TRAC lights on for a while, showing that there was an issue with something in the system. None of the parts places around here have scanners that read ABS codes. I found out that a buddy has a scan tool that reads ABS codes and it came up with a problem with the right rear.

There was also a minor oil leak from the valve cover area, time for spark plugs while its all apart, a PCV valve and hose.

A few weeks ago I placed an order with RockAuto and got all the parts needed, just haven't had a chance do do any of the work until today.

Changing the rear ABS sensor was a bit of a fiddly job as there are about 10 clips holding the wire in place and the connector is tucked up in a very tight spot. The wire is clipped onto the brake line and the axle, runs up the trailing arm up next to the fuel tank and the vapor canister assembly.

Changing the valve cover and spark plug tube gaskets is not difficult just very time consuming. You have to remove so much stuff from the top of the engine to get to the VC. Then when you think you got everything out of the way there is still stuff to remove! Once out I cleaned up the gasket surfaces, installed the new gasket and bolted the cover back on.

I installed a new set of NGK plugs to replace the NGK plugs that were in there. I didn't look at my records to see how long they have been in there, but it's been a while. The old plugs still looked good and had a nice light tan color.

The PCV hose was original and I had trimmed an end of off it a long time ago because it was split. The hose was also a bit soft and just worn out after all these years of service. Dorman has an exact replacement available and it fit perfectly. The PCV valve was replaced a number of years ago, so that got swapped out too.

I also cleaned and oiled the air filter.

I didn't take any pics of all the action, sorry.

That was the first half of the day in the garage! Took the car for a spin around the block and the warning lights went off and the engine runs beautifully.

Second part of the day was spent working on the wife's Suburban. I installed a new stock replacement exhaust system. Another parts order from our friends at RockAuto! All Walker factory style replacement parts. The truck has to stay as stock and original as possible since she shows the truck in AACA* shows in the HPOF** class. I had to remove the old rusty and broken crappy muffler shop exhaust that was done years ago by the original owner. The new stuff went in pretty smoothly, looks and sound good too!

*Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA)
**Historic Preservation of Original Features (HPOF).
This class is for vehicles that have not been restored or altered from the way it was built by the factory. Regular maintenance items are OK as long as they are similar to original.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com