PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Someone HELLLLLP Please, Im so stumped..Crank but no start issue.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Apr 2016, 10:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Someone HELLLLLP Please, Im so stumped..Crank but no start issue.

Someone HELLLLLP Please, Im so stumped..
The only sign of life i get is....When i hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank on the ignition....It will chug and cough a few healthy times, and that's it...It wont turn over and stay running..

The story: Its a 03 pt cruiser limited (77,000 miles) that just quit while driving on the freeway at 70 mph...no warning signs, no noises or unusual signs of anything..(according to the good, but not-always-believable teenager who was driving it..)

The Background: Has had a long time (6 month) problem of minor water leak..and has overheated a few times due to low water (God bless forgetful teenagers), but always recovered fine...

So, (I may know what you're thinking...head gasket, right ???)....However, Supposedly, (according to the teenager), the Water Temp. Light didn't come on and the gauge didn't show "hot" when it died.

When it got towed home, I immediately checked the water level...(the radiator was still completely full) ..and drained the oil, (fairly dirty, but no signs of milkiness or water)..

I Pulled 2 codes (P0016 and P0522) and replaced most all possibilities....Did the D.I.Y. basics so far : oil change, spark plugs ,wire set, and ignition coil pack. Intake manifold gasket, oil pressure sending unit, crank and cam positioning sensors (with connectors and wires) , thermostat and pcv valve ..

It gets spark (on all plugs), great fuel pressure, only fair-decent cylinder compression (110-130psi), the timing belt looks in great condition still, The oil wasn't milky, and antifreeze doesn't gurgle when cap is off , while cranking ..and Ive shot ample amounts of starter fluid in throttle body and no change in results...

Any suggestions or ideas out there???
Old 29 Apr 2016, 12:21 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Someone HELLLLLP Please, Im so stumped..Crank but no start issue.

P0016 - Crankshaft/Camshaft Timing Misalignment Conditions:

Possible Causes:

Base engine problem
Intermittent condition Crankshaft or Camshaft Sensor signal is erratic
Tone wheel or pulse wheel is damaged or contains debris
Crankshaft or Camshaft Sensor
Crankshaft or Camshaft Sensor harness or connector has failed
PCM has failed

P0522 - Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Rationality Conditions:

Possible Causes:

5 volt supply circuit is open or is shorted to ground
Oil pressure Sensor signal circuit is shorted to ground or to sensor ground
Oil pressure Sensor is damaged or has failed
PCM has failed

Your engine compression is low. How did you check your engine compression? Have you checked your ignition timing to see your belt is off?

I would highly recommend that no more components are replaced until a complete diagnosis is done. Anytime you are troubleshooting a problem and you replace a part, if that part does not fix the problem, put the original part back in.

I also suggest you introduce yourself and your PT Cruiser to the forum.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Apr 2016 at 01:30 am.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 06:38 am
Veteran Cruiser

A faulty OPS can cause the engine to shut down. This is to protect it from locking up as the sensor thinks there is no pressure. I'd try replacing it first and see what happens. BUT the common link between the two is a failed PCM. Maybe you should just load test your battery first and then if it's good, start checking for loose or corroded ground connections. You just never know. Check what Steve suggested first, as he knows more about these cars than I do. I don't know diddly.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 08:09 am
Senior Cruiser

I'm a bit lost. Don't most of the shut downs pull the spark? He said he has spark on all 4 cylinders. I know that compression is supposed to be low, but it should still be running. It should at least try to start on starter fluid if it has spark and timing, but it does when it is floored while starting? I wouldn't expect the compression numbers to be so even if the timing belt were broken. Maybe just off a couple of teeth, but still spinning?
Old 01 May 2016, 09:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all the responses.
ptcruisersteve:I am in agreement of not replacing anymore parts until further diagnosis is done. I very familiar with wording of the codes, thank you. I just did what i could, went threw and just replaced the cheaper & easy things like the crank and camshaft sensors, with their connectors and inspected all wiring...(if for any reason, ill justify it as proactive preventive maintenance) I checked compression using a typical screw in cylinder compression tester. is there some very specific procedure i didnt do correctly?..I had all plugs out, screwed in the tester, cranked on the engine and tested one cylinder at at time..did test 3x and got same results..
Yes, The timing belt may very possibly be off (timing), I dont know yet..I still have to check proper lining-up of all the cam sprockets & crank shaft timing marks.. but it is on, and looks in great condition...
fx5: I've verified spark in all plugs. even replaced plugs, wires and wire pack just as preventive maintenance if anything...Starter fluid didnt do anything. not even the chugging/coughing like i get when the pedal is floored..timing belt is defiantly not broken...but slipped? thats possible..
chuzz: I keep reading and considering the possibility of the PCM...but would i still get proper spark, lights, and full functioning guages etc? im not quite sure on all the functions of the pcm, so im just asking... its above my skill level of testing, I think..

Overall , I think were on to something, with it being the PCM or a slipped timing belt...any more opinions?
Old 01 May 2016, 09:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Timing belts do not slip, they either break or the crank gear shears off several teeth and the cams come to a halt. Easily checked by pulling the plug from the front of the upper cover and viewing the cam gears when turning the engine over. No gear movement equals belt failure.
You likely have an electric component problem but the process may be long to find it. Did you have the computer codes read by a device or just used the key dance ?
Old 01 May 2016, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasadenahotrod03Dreamer View Post
Timing belts do not slip, they either break or the crank gear shears off several teeth and the cams come to a halt. Easily checked by pulling the plug from the front of the upper cover and viewing the cam gears when turning the engine over. No gear movement equals belt failure.
You likely have an electric component problem but the process may be long to find it. Did you have the computer codes read by a device or just used the key dance ?

Are you sure that a damaged tension-er can't allowed the timing belt to slip a tooth or two?
Old 01 May 2016, 10:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

What engine trouble codes are you getting now after all the components that were replaced?

I would suggest checking the plug going to the PCM from the oil sending unit to see if oil siphoned up the wiring harness and got into the PCM plug.
Old 05 May 2016, 11:21 am
Fresh Cruiser

the codes were pulled by just doing the key dance...and now, after replacing parts and disconnecting battery for a while , there is no codes showing ..
Old 05 May 2016, 11:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

no codes showing anymore