Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN
  • 1 Post By cruserdad1976
  • 1 Post By VsandFords

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Apr 2016, 07:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 08 Cruiser only clicking with jumper cables

My wife's 2008 Cruiser base model quit a few weeks ago. Battery was corroded so I replaced. Tried to start it and won't even turn over, no lights or radio either. Hooked up the jumper cables and lights and radio work but only get a clicking noise. As soon as cables come off not lights and no radio. Does that sound like an alternator problem? Also, put the car in neutral and tried to give it a push but it won't budge, double checked and parking brake isn't on. Any suggestions?
Old 29 Apr 2016, 07:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 08 Cruiser only clicking with jumper cables

When that happen to me a couple years ago, it was because the cables from the jumper car just weren't making good contact to get the full voltage to my car, plus you need to let the donor car run for a few minutes to build up enough voltage in the PT since it was completely dead.

After re-reading your problem, sounds like it may be more of a problem with the cables or ground wires on the PT.
VsandFords likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 Apr 2016 at 07:41 pm.
Old 29 Apr 2016, 09:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There was no post cleaning both ends of the battery cables. I suggest you clean the battery cable contacts at the starter and on the ground battery contacts at the fender.

Is the new battery you put in the PT Cruiser fully charged? What is the date of this new battery?

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 29 Apr 2016 at 09:45 pm.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 06:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Check the ground connections on the passenger fender behind the battery too. Sounds to me like you've got corrosion under the insulation on the cables. Strip a small section of insulation off and see if the wires are green.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Old 02 Jun 2016, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

On mine it was where the starter was grounded to the engine ie the starter bolts. I practally had to pull the radiator to get to the bolt (top). Try your ground of the jumpers directly to the starter. Good luck
Old 03 Jun 2016, 01:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Be sure to take the stand-off apart on the positive side. Corrossion likes to build up in between there as well.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 02:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

his post says he replaced the battery??? was the new batter fully hot??? of so there is no need for cables at all
VsandFords likes this.
Old 03 Jun 2016, 03:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbyman387 View Post
My wife's 2008 Cruiser base model quit a few weeks ago. Battery was corroded so I replaced. Tried to start it and won't even turn over, no lights or radio either. Hooked up the jumper cables and lights and radio work but only get a clicking noise. As soon as cables come off not lights and no radio. Does that sound like an alternator problem? Also, put the car in neutral and tried to give it a push but it won't budge, double checked and parking brake isn't on. Any suggestions?
If you replaced the battery and had no power, the battery is no good or you have a bad connection to the battery. When you hooked up the jumper cables, you were getting voltage from the vehicle on the other end and it was not enough to start your Cruiser. I would check and clean the cable ends and verify that I was getting a good connection.
cruserdad1976 likes this.

2001 LE, auto, billet grille, tall shifter, polished aluminum spare, K&N filter and Hedman hedder. Why a header? Because it makes me happy!

Old 04 Jun 2016, 06:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Did you remove the black plastic cap that was on the ground post of the new battery? I've seen that happen numerous times! If that's okay, I'd check the cables for corrosion. It doesn't take much under the insulation to kill the contact.

Aspire to inspire before you expire.