How much for 2002 PT touring thread?

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By PTBing
  • 3 Post By PTBing
  • 1 Post By quicksilverdon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Apr 2016, 07:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How much for 2002 PT touring thread?

Got most of my help from here and figure this would be the most knowledgeable place to ask.

Been working on this 2002 Touring for a bit and now it's done and in need of a new home. I have been looking for an idea for a price but they are all over the place. $1250-3500. Non running is similar with a top of about $2500
Knoxville area 37764

Been wrenching for too long to remember and a firm believer in preventative maintenance. Was going to be my wifes new car but a deal fell through and I need to sell this to meet needs.

It's a 2002 with 172K and I pretty much went through it all
Wheeled it out with cleaning compound and waxed, looks great
Even detailed the jams, hood, door and rear hatch
Cleaned the headlight plastic covers
Some paint fading on the roof
Interior is clean with one small tear on the drivers seat (non leather)
Pretty amazed how well the radio/player works as stock
Brand new front tires and ceramic pads- rear tires are about 70%
New wheel bearing and steering tie rod ends greased
Brake fluid was flushed and clean
Steering reservoir cleaned and a couple siphon and refills
New radiator replaced had a slight leak
Both upper and lower hoses replaced just because
New alternator and belt along with a battery in December (before me)
Platinum spark plugs re-gapped (gap was huge but didn't misfire or fire a code)
Upper and lower motor mounts just because they looked odd
Dash window switches now work! (evasive fix)
No codes except battery was disconnected, Did have to replace the Crank Position Sensor to clear another code

Just looking for a realistic idea of what to ask and expect.

Have a link to craigslist for pictures: 2002 PT Cruiser

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 30 Apr 2016, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: How much for 2002 PT touring thread?

You don't say if timing belt & water pump were replaced - that's a $1,000 ballpark cost that a knowing buyer would knock off the price if it weren't done.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 30 Apr 2016, 11:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your car in the Craigslist ad, right? If so, that PT looks very nice.

Where I live, a clean one like that should bring around $2000 to $2500. While the timing belt is very important, most buyers don't know about it and don't ask and most sellers on Craigslist don't know about it either. So it doesn't seem to affect asking price. An unchanged timing belt would just keep the few buyers that do their homework from buying it. In my opinion, an honest seller that does know about the timing belt issue should tell perspective buyers. At least I think they should.

Mileage is the biggest negative. But since it's 15 years old and so clean, I don't think that will impact final price a whole lot.

Of course, the market may be very different where you live. But maybe this and other posts will give you some idea. If me, I'd just watch your local Craigslist closely. Most people list their vehicles a little high and then lower the price over a period of weeks until it sells. If you track the similar PT Cruisers until the ads disappear, you will get an idea of what the final asking price was.
Old 01 May 2016, 02:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, I don't know about the cam belt, tensioner or waterpump. Didn't venture into that area. Besides looking through the front wheel well peek hole I have no idea. If I did look in there is there enough view to see if anything has been replaced?

No clue if the previous owner had it done but sure it wouldn't have unless it snapped. Not sure if it was limited budget or lack of intelligence but he didn't even clean fast food garbage off the floor when I found the car. He had only had the car for a year from the date on the title. Dirty and untouched.

He sold it because of an ignition key issue which my wife fixed with graphite powder lol. He also failed to mention a bunch of other issues that I have already addressed and repaired, typical craigslist find. The only reason I bought it was because of the condition of the interior and exterior. Figured even if I had to replace the motor I would have a decent dependable ride for the wife.
uncomn likes this.
Old 04 May 2016, 02:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well she left yesterday for 2550. Didn't get any replies until I changed the ad wording. Emphisis on "new" stuff and "dependable". About an hour later I got 2 calls, the second was a lady that offered full price but she lived 2.5 hours away! I told her that I will go over the car real good which I did. The darn front windows stopped rolling down again LOL. Got them working and went for a long ride, flawless. She drove in with her kids and everything, at least it shouldn't give her any problems or maintenance issues for a long time. (except the mystery timing belt)

Now that I am getting to know these things I am keeping my eye out for another project. Thanks for all the help even though most was already posted.
Old 06 May 2016, 05:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I think you did well.
rckstein likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 May 2016, 11:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Id say you came out smelling like a rose on that one. Im just up the road in Morristown. If you get another, holla at me. Gonna try to get a East Tn PT group goin.
Old 07 May 2016, 05:54 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Hey ZZ, one of my old roommates and still one of my best friends lives in Morristown. She's and awesome chick. Do you know Sandy McDonald?

Aspire to inspire before you expire.