Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > General PT Cruiser Discussions

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
RADIO IS STILL ON WHEN CAR IS OFF

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 May 2016, 04:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default RADIO IS STILL ON WHEN CAR IS OFF

Hi guys and gals, i have a 2002 pt cruiser, when i turn my car off the radio stays on, the time display turns off for a sec then right back on and the radio can still be heard if i keep it on(The actual radio) problem is it seems to kill my battery, i dont think its the position of the key either because it stays on no matter when i remove the key, please help....thank you
Old 02 May 2016, 05:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: RADIO IS STILL ON WHEN CAR IS OFF

Doers the radio go off when you open the door..??

2006 Touring Edition in Cool Vanilla...aka/Ghost
Old 02 May 2016, 05:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Is it the original equipment radio?

If it is, take your radio fuse out and see if the anomaly is still there. If it is, that possibly points to a crossed power wire to the radio that's constant 12V.

If not, read the power to the radio with ignition on and off. If that shows power off with ignition off, look to the radio for the culprit. A possible power jump in the radio from the illumination circuit.

In any case the fact that the battery depletes indicates one of these possibilities.

Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice
Cool Vanilla White, 3 Coats. 2.4 DOHC 16V SMPI Eng. Vanity Cover, 4 Spd. Auto Trans. 2.6 Overall Top Gear, Lock-up Torque Converter. PT Chrome Clad 16" X 6" Wheels, P205/55 R16 Cooper Starfire/Solarus tires, Touring Suspension. Chrome Package; Side Spears, Grills, Fuel Filler Door, Door Locks, Handles, PRND3-1 Bezel, Silver/Chrome Shift Ball/Knob, Bright Spoke Leather Tilt Steering Wheel. Chrome Tail Lights, 3/8" Belt Trim. Cruise Control, Power Mirrors, A/C, Deep Tinted Sun Screen Glass, Power Moon Roof, Fog and Back-Up Lights, Rear Spoiler, Variable Front Wipers W/Washers, Rear Wiper/Washer, Key less Entry, Replacement 2001 Dark Taupe Grey Suede/Leather Trim Seats, Dual Under Seat Storage Drawers, Drivers Side Power Seat Height Adjust. Full Length Console, Locking Glove Box, Overhead Temperature/Compass Console, Rear Shelf Panel, AM/FM CD GPS Navigation Radio, 6 Premium Speakers, Back up Camera/ 7" Monitor.
Old 02 May 2016, 06:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hello and welcome,
Mine does that too but as LionPT says, it does turn off when I open the door.

If you turn the volume up, try shutting the engine off, remove the key, exit the car and lock the door. Can you hear the radio still playing?

You say "seems to kill the battery" I am assuming the radio has been playing all the time until the battery dies and this has happened several times?
Old 03 May 2016, 08:04 am
Cool Cruiser

Since it is all computerized it can be one of the modules or the switch to the door.

With that said I had a problem with my Jeep Liberty where the radio would stay on or just the clock. This car, the radio does not stay on until you open the door. It turned out to be a short in the wires that went to the satellite radio. Just had the dealer pull the plug on that and all is well.

Good luck nothing easy these days.

Mike
Old 03 May 2016, 08:09 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptprice View Post
Is it the original equipment radio?

If it is, take your radio fuse out and see if the anomaly is still there. If it is, that possibly points to a crossed power wire to the radio that's constant 12V.

If not, read the power to the radio with ignition on and off. If that shows power off with ignition off, look to the radio for the culprit. A possible power jump in the radio from the illumination circuit.

In any case the fact that the battery depletes indicates one of these possibilities.

Good luck.

Happy Ptin', ptprice

That was my thought too. Plenty of cars have the radio stay on until the door opens. I can't remember if my PT does, but if the battery dies overnight my first thought is always fog lights/MFS.
Old 05 May 2016, 04:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what is the model number? Just wondering if this could be an "auto off" feature, sort of like a sleep timer for after car is turned off.
Old 06 May 2016, 03:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Wat? I thought that happens on every car,its supposed to,if you want to listen to it while the vehicle is off.

They usually have an off button or a button which pops the radio out halfway so its not connected to the battery while still remaining on the dash.

Last edited by SvenCruiser; 06 May 2016 at 03:34 pm.